IGNORED

I had My M82 Demo unit fixed by Ben Heck (still not working)

OK.  so 4 years ago i bought a m82 demo unit for 2500 dollars.  outstanding condition  guy claimed it worked.  i got it and slot 10 11 and 12 has some kinda weird graphical issues.  told the seller about it and said id like to try and repair it  so he gave me 1000 back since he didnt insure it and it was packed very poorly.  i did the usual of cleaning slots.  nothing.  i later mailed it to volder mod shop.  he tried socketing the chips around the area that had issues and replaced the power supply since the one that was in it was failing.   at first he thought he fixed it.  but when i got it back  same issue even though he claimed it was fixed.  Volder does good solder work and installing mod chips.  ive seen his videos on youtube so hes very good at what he does  but i think this one might have been over his head.  spending roughly 400 in shipping and labor,  i wasn't very happy about how that went over but anyways!

i personally try to brute force find the issue by replacing all the chips i could replace on the board  via socketing them with all brand new buffer chips.  after that still the same issue...  i gave up after that and shelfed it.  skip ahead 4 years  the corona virus takes a mega dump on the earth.  im sitting in my house and think this is a good time to get this thing repaired.  so  i thought who is the best person to do that job.  why Ben Heck of course!  hes the only man to have the balls to fix a nintendo playstation and a sega pluto prototype  so a m82 shouldn't be too hard.  he worked on that thing for a week basically reverse engineering it to to repair it.

you can see the results here.  so now this m82 is the most future proofed  restored m82 on the planet  and it had the IRQ mod on all slots 😛

Edited by Nes Freak
  • Like 9
  • Wow! 2

I love watching his handy work when it comes to game systems, the depths he goes is just amazing.  I'll watch your clip, betting on quality stuff from the Virtual Boy to the Nintendo Playstation unit.  I've liked this demo unit since the day (and the Sharp TV which I had at least, and intact/complete no less), never come across one until after the fact people wanted stupid money on them so for me it's just fun to see it repaired and enjoyed at this rate so this video is perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

i got it back and check it today.  its still not working correctly so i give up...  every thing he check in that video had nothing to do with the issue ive been having.  i figure he did that  by mistake when he re flowed the board and got a little bit of solder off on that trace cause it wasn't the originally the issue  the real issue is this below which was never mentioned or shown in the video.  i explained to Ben to please check using kung fu or any of the old black box games as it seemed to  show the most using those games.

im done.  1k spent and no dice!.  so no more.

IMG_20200524_184611690.jpg

• Sad 2

I didn't watch it yet but I wanted to add this, but not edit my original post as people might not have seen it.

The reason why I think it could be one of the chips, whether a logic chip or any of the PPU / GPU chips, is because they could still function yet have errors.  I doubt its the PPU chip because it prob wouldn't work at all.  A few years ago I bought Turrican for NES from france and it didn't work.  I ended up taking the ROM chip off and saw that it wasn't reading anything at all in my computer.  

There have also been times where I have burned chips and not understood why they haven't worked.  It turns out that using EPROM chips, if you 'erase' the chip for too long (exposing it to UV light) it could actually corrupt it.  So the chip will burn AND verify, (read back the code from the chip and analyze it against what was written from the computer) and STILL didn't not work.  This actually happened to me when no other option was left.  I replaced the EPROM with a fresher one and it worked.  I saw an EPROM in there, perhaps that needs replacing.

Anyway with my two cents, if what I said was right, I'd like to be compensated for my knowledge for about a grand.  😛

Edited by guitarzombie

2 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I didn't watch it yet but I wanted to add this, but not edit my original post as people might not have seen it.

The reason why I think it could be one of the chips, whether a logic chip or any of the PPU / GPU chips, is because they could still function yet have errors.  I doubt its the PPU chip because it prob wouldn't work at all.  A few years ago I bought Turrican for NES from france and it didn't work.  I ended up taking the ROM chip off and saw that it wasn't reading anything at all in my computer.  

There have also been times where I have burned chips and not understood why they haven't worked.  It turns out that using EPROM chips, if you 'erase' the chip for too long (exposing it to UV light) it could actually corrupt it.  So the chip will burn AND verify, (read back the code from the chip and analyze it against what was written from the computer) and STILL didn't not work.  This actually happened to me when no other option was left.  I replaced the EPROM with a fresher one and it worked.  I saw an EPROM in there, perhaps that needs replacing.

Anyway with my two cents, if what I said was right, I'd like to be compensated for my knowledge for about a grand.  😛

the eprom arnt the issue.  the cpu and ppu and all the buffer chip werereplaced in an attempt to fix this.   all resulting in the same issue.  personally i think its a design flaw or a microfracture in the board.  it could even be a bad cap.

• 1 year later...
On 5/24/2020 at 10:18 PM, Nes Freak said:

i got it back and check it today.  its still not working correctly so i give up...  every thing he check in that video had nothing to do with the issue ive been having.  i figure he did that  by mistake when he re flowed the board and got a little bit of solder off on that trace cause it wasn't the originally the issue  the real issue is this below which was never mentioned or shown in the video.  i explained to Ben to please check using kung fu or any of the old black box games as it seemed to  show the most using those games.

im done.  1k spent and no dice!.  so no more.

IMG_20200524_184611690.jpg

This is sad...I could look at it if you want for free well except shipping and I could add a few more upgrades let me know if so

3 hours ago, Tehninja221 said:

This is sad...I could look at it if you want for free well except shipping and I could add a few more upgrades let me know if so

I'm personally curious what "few more upgrades" are even possible on that thing, given that it seemed that Ben Heck put everything additional into it that it could realistically have (even though that didn't fix the issue OP had with it).

On 11/4/2021 at 10:58 PM, darkchylde28 said:

I'm personally curious what "few more upgrades" are even possible on that thing, given that it seemed that Ben Heck put everything additional into it that it could realistically have (even though that didn't fix the issue OP had with it).

I could add expansion audio, rgb composite s video, restore mmc5 functionality, and someone made a microcontroller to fix the timer I could install these are some I could do

33 minutes ago, Tehninja221 said:

I could add expansion audio, rgb composite s video, restore mmc5 functionality, and someone made a microcontroller to fix the timer I could install these are some I could do

Could you restore it to factory defaults?  Cuz that's the only way I'd even care about it 😛

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Could you restore it to factory defaults?  Cuz that's the only way I'd even care about it 😛

I understand why youde want it back factory it’s such a rare gem but it has limited functionality stock but ya that would be easy to turn back stock provided you had the original parts

On 11/3/2021 at 2:16 AM, Tehninja221 said:

Ever get this to work?  I’m wondering if it’s the game or games you are trying does every single game not work?

yes i fix it.  ben heck nor votar could figure it out.  turns out 4 buffer chips required some additional capacitors.  and then it all functioned correctly.  i would have never figured this out if i hadn't bought another pal m82  that had the fix.  (some m82 didnt have these caps)  so  i fixed my and sold it off with a few mods  like led mods and a full 12 slot irc mod.  if i had a hdmi kit i would have installed that too.

the pal m82 i converted to ntsc  by simply swamping out the cpu, ppu  and the crystal oscillator and lock out chip

the power supply is universal via wire switch so i just swap out the cable and recapped the entire console and PS.

basically there no indicator is was ever a pal unit  so i could sell it as ntsc if i wanted.

4 hours ago, Tehninja221 said:

I understand why youde want it back factory it’s such a rare gem but it has limited functionality stock but ya that would be easy to turn back stock provided you had the original parts

I wouldn't be interested for functionality.  I'd be interested for historical value.  I have my toaster for functionality 😉

• Like 1