IGNORED

The Switch Thread

21 hours ago, 11strings said:

you missed this gem.

71IHBkdPW7L._SL1482_.jpg

3 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

*cough* Shovelware *cough* Wii *cough* deja vu *cough*

I check into that when I get out of work. Thanks for catching that.

I don't really see the shovelware that your alluding to@DoctorEncore. I mean yea this game would be, and I can only really think of a dozen or two shovelware games off the top if my head. The wii seemed like anything not first party was shovelware. Now everyone's definition is different for what constitutes shovelware, but from what Ive seen (and catalogued) it doesnt even come close to those systems. Now Im just talking physical in this country. If your also including eshop then yea all bets are off then

2 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I don't really see the shovelware that your alluding to@DoctorEncore. I mean yea this game would be, and I can only really think of a dozen or two shovelware games off the top if my head. The wii seemed like anything not first party was shovelware. Now everyone's definition is different for what constitutes shovelware, but from what Ive seen (and catalogued) it doesnt even come close to those systems. Now Im just talking physical in this country. If your also including eshop then yea all bets are off then

It’s the high cost of making physicals now that makes such a huge difference. If it was as cheap as printing a Wii game I think we would see more shovelware physicals. 

Went ahead and ordered Nexomon and Inertial Drift from VideoGamesPlus because they are on sale ($5 CAD off each one) and each one works out to about $27 USD and with buying both I got free shipping to USA. https://www.videogamesplus.ca/specials.php

Edited by MiamiSlice

On 11/21/2020 at 1:56 PM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I was just playing. Every system has shovelware, but the Switch library is expanding so rapidly that I expect it to continue grow in percentage. I am not a Switch collector, so it doesn't affect me, but I feel for all the folks here.

50 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I was just playing. Every system has shovelware, but the Switch library is expanding so rapidly that I expect it to continue grow in percentage. I am not a Switch collector, so it doesn't affect me, but I feel for all the folks here.

That's the interesting thing about the collecting Switch physical. The percentage overall doesn't grow very rapidly. Probably due to what @MiamiSlice said, the cost to produce the carts deters cranking out shovelware because there is a higher financial risk. For every Just Dance or Paw Patrol or low effort Game Show game, theres 20 other games being released. So the percentage of shovelware to "real" games actually decreases the more games have been released. Now again what someone calls shovleware differs, and though just because something ISNT shovelware doesn't make it a good game. But overall just based on numbers released its crazy that there isnt a ton more.

Edited by LeatherRebel5150

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

No need to feel sorry for us, the Switch library is amazing with a very low percentage of shovelware compared to past Nintendo consoles. I expect this console to be quite collectible in the future due to how many great games and nice looking remakes it has. 

Hopefully people continue to think it has heaps of shovelware so I can get what I need.

20 hours ago, Shmup said:

No need to feel sorry for us, the Switch library is amazing with a very low percentage of shovelware compared to past Nintendo consoles. I expect this console to be quite collectible in the future due to how many great games and nice looking remakes it has. 

I think shovelware for this generation will look .. different? Some may argue it will look more like the 3DS library where the shovelware is not only the pony games but also the 'app' games. 

I consider most of what the boutique publishers put out to be shovelware. 

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I think shovelware for this generation will look .. different? Some may argue it will look more like the 3DS library where the shovelware is not only the pony games but also the 'app' games. 

I could see it both ways.  Is Oxenfree shovelware?  It's 2 hours long and probably costs like $.99 on steam.  But I'd hate to compare it to Imagine Babyz and Celebrity Chief.

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Yeah I don’t disagree with that. Everyone will view games differently.

A lot of the limited companies are putting out indies that have rated pretty highly though.

Personally I will pickup any game that sounds interesting and scores a 7+, 6 I will consider but I do a lot of research. I know others would only touch games that score an 8/10 and aren’t indie.

31 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I could see it both ways.  Is Oxenfree shovelware?  It's 2 hours long and probably costs like $.99 on steam.  But I'd hate to compare it to Imagine Babyz and Celebrity Chief.

There's actual definitions for this stuff btwShovelware games are video games that are made with a low budget and possibly little time, resulting in poor quality, numerous flaws, and possibly lots of glitches as well.

Indie games may be low budget but they are not usually low effort or rushed. Shovelware isn't "games you don't like" or "games made for kids" or "games that are cheaper on Steam." They are usually games that are badly made or literally broken. 

I mean, you mention Imagine Babyz. Read a review and see what this is like: https://www.ign.com/articles/2007/11/13/imagine-babyz-review. The touch screen controls don't work well, so some of the mini games are practically unplayable. This series is a great example because I am reminded of another game, Imagine Babysitters (I kid you not, this is a different game from Imagine Babyz, and why didn't they call it Imagine Babysitterz???), where IIRC if you are in the middle of changing a baby's diaper, and their parents get home before you finish, the game registers this as failing the diaper change and you lose points. 

These are things that point to a lack of quality assurance, because the companies that make these games don't want to invest money in making sure the games work well! Hence the term "shovelware." Does it mean the games are bad? Not fun? Not necessarily. But if you play enough games you will notice the difference. 

A good example of shovelware on Switch is Garfield Kart. Just read this review! It's not well made! https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/garfield_kart_furious_racing

I agree with the above.  I'm starting to see the term shovelware thrown around too much for games that people don't like, and that's a bit unfair.  I would add to the definition that shoevelware is often meant to sell based on its name or license.  For example, many shovelware games are completed with low budgets and little time with the hope that people will buy them because it's based on their kids favorite movie.  

With that said, the amount of shovelware is almost always directly related to the popularity of the console itself.  As the Switch sells more and more units, we are going to start to see more and more shovelware released for the console.  

Edited by TDIRunner

First holiday season with Switch!  Anyone besides me having fun deciding what to get from the big eShop sale?

Was excited to finally see Hollow Knight get a price drop, as I've been eyeing that game from day one.  Also picking up Shantae and the Pirate's Curse and Sonic Mania. Only problem is cutting myself off soon after. 🙂

The one other major game I want but was waiting for a "real" sale for is Cuphead.  Guessing that game is popular enough not to need advertising.

Anyway, fun times!

16 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I was finally able to get a copy of Atelier Ryza this morning from Amazon. It was up for a few minutes. 

Saw this too late. Once again I can’t believe how quickly it sold out. Seems like scalpers keep buying it up? At what point do they realize it’s not that rare??

1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

Saw this too late. Once again I can’t believe how quickly it sold out. Seems like scalpers keep buying it up? At what point do they realize it’s not that rare??

Definitely scalpers. The slow leak of additional copies is weird though. Not sure what the purpose of that is rather than a single large restock.

2 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Right? It’s pretty annoying to be so challenging to find a not so rare game on a modern console. I really don’t understand the slow drip though. I’m just interested in trying out a game.