IGNORED

Movie Debate #7: Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

31 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.

Events Team · Posted

Solid 8/10 for me, I personally really enjoyed it, but I totally understand why some people weren't satisfied with it. IMO I was OK with playing it safe since it really was a terrific setup for a trilogy, so as long as the next movie brought it home, I was fine with this one playing it a bit safe. And... well, while I am one of the heathens who did actually like The Last Jedi, the direction it went in wasn't my favorite, and as far as Rise Of Skywalker goes... yeah, things could've turned out better. But, still, TFA was a good setup for the rest I think, and while the way the trilogy went wasn't great, judging this movie completely on it's own seperate from the other two, I think it's really good.

9/10 Love it as usual with all Star Wars movies. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so it doesn't take too much to amuse me with this series.  I understand why some people don't like it and say it is one of the worst, so I won't hold it against them.

• Like 1

I'd give it at least a 7/10.

I enjoyed it, and while yes, there is seemingly a lot of "fan service", it was a really fun theater experience.

There are a few grating script-writing issues where too many colloquialisms slip in and drag you out of the immersion ("droid, please!"), but all of the Star Wars movies have them ("I'll see you in Hell!" from Han Solo at the beginning of Empire, for instance) and it was kind of endemic of any George Lucas movie back in the day (Willow's "king of Kashmir" quip from Madmartigan).

1 hour ago, RH said:

I enjoyed it and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

The best, post original trilogy film is Rogue One, though.  Change my mind.

Even better than 3?!?!? (crazy talk lol)

Rogue One was the last one I completed (recently watched 1-8 and RO), and it was fantastic how it ended and connected some pivotal things together.

1 hour ago, Boosted52405 said:

Even better than 3?!?!? (crazy talk lol)

Rogue One was the last one I completed (recently watched 1-8 and RO), and it was fantastic how it ended and connected some pivotal things together.

Rogue One is my favorite outside of the original trilogy.  In fact, it's my third favorite overall after episodes IV and V.

Edited by TDIRunner

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Rogue One is my favorite outside of the original trilogy.  In fact, it's my third favorite overall after episodes IV and V.

I completely agree.  I mean, I like RotJ but not as much as when I was a kid.  I felt RO was close to ESB, but definitely couldn't eclipse it.  Overall, I felt it was a good film but you're right about the end.  The way it took you right up to ANH, man... that was perfect and it really let you see Vader in a new light, especially going into ANH again.  I really loved feeling of change my perspective of ANH's start.

Now if they would only make a similar film going into RotJ, but with a bit of Dash Rendar/Outrider action, that'd be great.

• Like 1

Just now, RH said:

I completely agree.  I mean, I like RotJ but not as much as when I was a kid.  I felt RO was close to ESB, but definitely couldn't eclipse it.  Overall, I felt it was a good film but you're right about the end.  The way it took you right up to ANH, man... that was perfect and it really let you see Vader in a new light, especially going into ANH again.  I really loved feeling of change my perspective of ANH's start.

Now if they would only make a similar film going into RotJ, but with a bit of Dash Rendar/Outrider action, that'd be great.

The scene at the end with Vader is my favorite single moment in the Star Wars franchise.  I've re-watched that scene alone probably 50 times.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

It was a pretty dark war movie.  Are you saying it was intended to be more so?  

That was what I heard through a couple Youtube videos years ago. Something about the original directors. Honestly, I would have loved a grittier/darker vision of the Star Wars universe. Or more Krennic and Death Troopers. Whichever 😛

1 minute ago, m308gunner said:

That was what I heard through a couple Youtube videos years ago. Something about the original directors. Honestly, I would have loved a grittier/darker vision of the Star Wars universe. Or more Krennic and Death Troopers. Whichever 😛

That's why I was confused by your comment.  Rogue One WAS a gritter/darker version of the Star Wars universe.  I mean, there is room to take it further.  I guess it would be interesting to think about what an R rated Star Wars movie would be like.  

4 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

5/10

It was an alright movie, I actually liked The Last Jedi better for w/e it's worth.

My main gripe against Last Jedi is that the entire premise rests on a unique element of the bad space physics of the Star Wars universe.  (ie they require fuel just to continue at cruise in space)