IGNORED

Movie Debate #7: Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

31 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.

I voted 7. Solid movie, a lot of fun with great energy and many stand out moments. The characters are great and it's visually very appealing.

It loses points for me, mainly because I wish they hadn't blown up the Starkiller base at the end. I feel like a lot of the problems that multiplied throughout the subsequent two movies (especially Rise of Skywalker) could have been avoided if they had kept the Starkiller base around for the whole trilogy as the main threat.

Anyway, yeah it's my third favourite Disney star wars movie, and definitely a good one!

I liked it a lot. I thought they did a good  job on it. I'm not much if a star wars nerd, but I started watching episodes 1, 2, and 3. One was pretty good, 2 is the worst of them I've seen. I think Hayden Christianson did a better job that people have him credit for at being a powerful but really whiny little shit. That being said, the movie itself was boring. It was 2 hours of cookie cutter action scenes and mostly boring and dry dialogue. Episode 3 was awesome though and brought it all home.

I give it an 8. I enjoyed TFA a lot and look back on it fondly.

However, I really didn't like TLJ, and even though I enjoyed TROS for what it was, I think the trilogy kind of fell apart after The Force Awakens. The first movie didn't need to do much, it just needed to introduce the characters and bring people back into the Star Wars Universe. The sequels had no cohesion and as a result the trilogy just feels really disjointed. It's a shame. I think if JJ wrote/directed all three and they actually knew where they were going with the story from the start it could have been a great trilogy. Instead we got a group of movies that had some really cool characters and scenes and plots but haphazardly slapped together.

4/10. Meh, better things to watch.  Why would I sit down to watch this when I have the Original Trilogy available.  This didn't improve on those in any way. Rogue One and The Mandalorian gave us something new, and for that, I really enjoyed them.  Even the Prequel Trilogy had more consistency and vision, and some people hate those with a burning passion. 

Now that the trilogy is over, I'm not sure it's worth analyzing TFA alone because we know all the answers to the mysteries it sets up, and those answers really suck. ANH works as a standalone because George Lucas tells a complete story; he didn't know a sequel would be possible until it was a huge hit. 

• Like 1