IGNORED

The most popular period of gaming in 2020

GPX

Which era(s) will be your choice of gaming in 2020?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Current favorite gaming era(s)?

• 1985-1989
    • 1990-1994
    • 1995-1999
    • 2000-2004
    • 2005-2009
    • 2010-2014
    • 2015-2020

With the advancement in technology, video games have come on by leaps and bounds. The dots and pixels from the 80s are now becoming photo-realistic masterpieces. The simple nature of gaming back then is now becoming more complex than a movie with full-on plot twists! Everything seems to be moving forwards, and so many more choices in genres for you to pick with moderns consoles and downloadable games. 

With the above in mind, I find it fascinating how some of us are fondly sticking to gaming of yesteryear, whether it’d be from the 80s, 90s or beyond. Personally, I’ve been stuck in 2008, playing repeatedly (or perhaps obsessively?) 2 games on Xbox Live on the 360 - Defense Grid and Geometry Wars 2. I love them for their addictive high-scoring nature, as well as simple pick-up-and-play mechanics with gaming in short bursts.

Which era have you been “stuck on” in your gaming? Or another way of looking at it, which era will you likely to stick with in 2020?

2020 is the year Switch really hit its stride for me.  Been playing Children of Morta, Hat in Time, Blasphemous, River City Girls.

I did play some old school Sega cd and 32x titles, and likely some TG16 titles with the mini coming out in a few weeks.

But looking ahead, RE3 and FF7, Last of Us 2, Cyberpunk, Breath of the Wild 2 are all going to be huge for me.  I feel like I’m going to be playing more current titles than anything.

For so long there was a time I was stuck with just the NES, long ago in the early 2000s, I actually only had the NES and focused completely on just that for 5 years before finally getting back into another console, getting a PS1 again and then was sorta back and forth between those two consoles for some years, and then homeless event happened and I sold what I had. Later when I thought my mom and I had recovered enough I tried to build up a collection, both of those consoles again, but the fates said no, hell no, back in the car you go. I fell out of gaming for a bit after that, though occasionally played games on my DS, and I did gather up another small PS1 collection once settled down again, but decided to part with most of that a few years ago cause I needed the money, shrug, whatever, didn't get too attached. Then a friend sent me her Xbox 360 and a handful of games and I did really nothing but play that for a few years that I had it and found that of all consoles I ever owned, my favorites for most of those years was the NES and PS1 but then found I could hardly get into any of them anymore after experiencing what games I had on the 360 which just a few of those became the most addicting games I ever played, far surpassing any that come before. So while the NES and PS1 for many years held the top two ranks, not anymore. I still have fond memories of them and do occasionally enjoy a game once in a while but never get too heavy into it. I actually find I am missing playing the 360, which right now given all that I have played in recent years on it, is my console of choice until I upgrade to something else. So current favorite, last gen, the 360. But longest rein goes to the NES follow by the PS1, something I don't think any others will top.

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted

My list.  NES/SNES tied for first, n64, gamecube, ps1/2 thats really about all 🙂  While i enjoy modern games, there is just something about getting that nostalgia high when playing an old cart/disc game on a controller I haven't played with forever, but feels just so right in your hands when you grab it up!

19 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Pre 1985 doesn't exist. Suck it AtariAge.

Let me explain..

Firstly, yeah suck it AtariAge! 

Secondly, the poll is aiming to seek the most popular era of current gaming. From the general vibe on here, gaming is geared at 1985 and thereafter.

If there are any Atari gamers who plan to game mostly Atari 2600 games this year, let me know so I can add it to the poll. Otherwise, suck it Atari!

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 10:06 PM, GPX said:

If there are any Atari gamers who plan to game mostly Atari 2600 games this year, let me know so I can add it to the poll. Otherwise, suck it Atari!

There's a huge community of arcade fans dedicated to the 70s through mid 80s period. I'd say that's vastly more interesting (and has a lot more quality) than the 2600.

Probably not too massive around here though.

37 minutes ago, Sumez said:

There's a huge community of arcade fans dedicated to the 70s through mid 80s period. I'd say that's vastly more interesting (and has a lot more quality) than the 2600.

Probably not too massive around here though.

I'm just poking fun at the Atari and older machines. I loved it back in the 80s and constantly playing it at a friend's house.

Initially I didn't think too much, just felt 1985 was a good starting point, bearing in mind the general moods and discussions of this forum as a whole.

As a side note, interesting to see 2010-2014 period isn't getting much love judging by the current polling.

22 hours ago, GPX said:

As a side note, interesting to see 2010-2014 period isn't getting much love judging by the current polling.

Feels like the previous generation of consoles had an extended life and stuck around too long, while the current generation of systems took awhile to really hit their stride.  There are some standout titles from those years, but lots of motion control shovelware too.

I was playing a lot more old school games those days

hard to say, but as an RPGer.  in 1997 Final Fantasy 7 came out, and after that it really increased the release window of jRPGs in America.  So I could say 1995-2000.  However my favorite "age" of RPGs is everything from mid SNES all the way to mid PS2.  So that spans about 10-12 years.  From 1990 - 2002.

• Like 1

85-95 is a great decade for games you can pick up and play for a few hours and be content. 95-05 is where you start finding games you really sink your teeth into. I can always pop in some 8 or 16 bits for a short time and kill some robots or maybe form some lines with falling blocks. I'll probably spend 30% of this year's gaming doing this. 50% will probably be sinking my teeth into a grand adventure from the 95-05 decade. The remaining 20 will probably be switch releases.

Graphics Team · Posted

This is a tough distinction - I've been playing mostly NES this year, but many of the great later-release titles in the library are from the early 90s. I hadn't considered how long the system's lifespan was, with great games from start to finish.

-CasualCart