IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

1 minute ago, Californication said:
11 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

To me, blaming disparities and unequal outcomes on racism, without supporting facts/evidence/research, is what perpetuates racial divide. 

And what would you blame the different outcomes on? Stop dancing around it.

I'm not dancing around anything, go back and read my comments on this thread for more detail.

Like I just said to Cody, it's a cultural/class issue more than systemic racism. As an example, the single parent household percentage is a huge, if not the biggest, factor in the outcome of the child/children when it comes to poverty, education and crime. And yet, BLM wants to "disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement" like that's going to improve the outcomes within their communities. Or pushing to dramatically reduce funding for police which will have some really shitty downstream effects (lower enrollment rates, lower quality of applicants, less patrol in high-crime areas, less funding to allocate for proper training, mental health exams, etc.) And defunding the police doesn't have any positive impact on crime rate, education and wealth disparities. 

Where's the concrete plan to dismantle "systemic racism"?  What are the steps needed to close the disparities between races - crime, education, wealth, etc.?

I've seen nothing positive come from all of this thus far. 

12 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Like I just said to Cody, it's a cultural/class issue more than systemic racism. As an example, the single parent household percentage is a huge, if not the biggest, factor in the outcome of the child/children when it comes to poverty, education and crime. 

Systemic racism causes these circumstances. How could the Mexicans I talked about increase their class in the 80's that were refused jobs because they were Mexicans. How can blacks increase their wealth when they are red lined and that is the number one way people pass wealth through generations? Some of them can make it through, but in low percentages. 

You are using culture as a stand in for race. That is racist.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Californication said:
14 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Like I just said to Cody, it's a cultural/class issue more than systemic racism. As an example, the single parent household percentage is a huge, if not the biggest, factor in the outcome of the child/children when it comes to poverty, education and crime. 

Systemic racism causes these circumstances. How could the Mexicans I talked about increase their class in the 80's that were refused jobs because they were Mexicans. How can blacks increase their wealth when they are red lined and that is the number one way people pass wealth through generations?

You are using culture as a stand in for race. That is racist.

How does systemic racism increase the single parent household rate in the black community? How does systemic racism prevent a black person from becoming successful today when their parents were impacted by redlining? And how does culture not play a role in either of these?

11 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

How does systemic racism increase the single parent household rate in the black community? How does systemic racism prevent a black person from becoming successful today when their parents were impacted by redlining? And how does culture not play a role in either of these?

See, I knew you wanted to say black. Thought you were going to go for the brown's too. 

And to answer your question, poverty breeds poverty it is a cycle. It is hard to pull yourself out. Do you think it is harder or easier for a poor couple to get along or a middle class couple to get along? The anxiety's caused by being poor affect every part of a person's experience. 

Also, red lining didn't just happen to  previous generations, it is still used today.

15 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Time for a Twitter checkup:

Screenshot_20200706-122743.png

How unifying and leader...ly.  I guess when in doubt play to your base's anger since that's the only thing going for him right now.  He should roll with that for 4 more years, it will take us to good places no doubt.

He ain't wrong about the 2nd names like Indians or Apache on teams/helicopters/motorcycles etc. is a tribute to Indian's rather than made as an insult. I think he's given an open goal to score points with all these mounted assaults on ketchup bottle logos and other symbolic shit that don't really matter yet does vacuum all the charm out of a logo or name. It's no different than calling the team raiders or buccaneers the purpose is glamorization not politics or historical accuracy. Yes Indians have had it rough throughout American history but these particular things are not examples of that.

8 minutes ago, Californication said:
12 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

See, I knew you wanted to say black. Thought you were going to go for the brown's too. 

The same logic applies to any race.

And to answer your question, poverty breeds poverty it is a cycle. It is hard to pull yourself out. It is not impossible, but the rate is not very good. 

And the challenges of escaping poverty aren't exclusive to a particular race.

So how do we fix it if addressing culture isn't a valid approach?

13 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

You don't know the black culture and aren't addressing the black culture. You are blaming people for life outcomes based on their race and are refusing to address the structural racism that treats minorities differently than white people. The structures need to be changed. 

Editorials Team · Posted
32 minutes ago, cartman said:

He ain't wrong about the 2nd names like Indians or Apache on teams/helicopters/motorcycles etc. is a tribute to Indian's rather than made as an insult. I think he's given an open goal to score points with all these mounted assaults on ketchup bottle logos and other symbolic shit that don't really matter yet does vacuum all the charm out of a logo or name. It's no different than calling the team raiders or buccaneers the purpose is glamorization not politics or historical accuracy. Yes Indians have had it rough throughout American history but these particular things are not examples of that.

Sure...

1200px-Cleveland_Indians_logo.svg.png

By the way, I do agree there is room to honor them.  Keep the WAS logo and theme, but change the name.

A recent example was UND dropping 'Fighting Sioux.'. If the tribe was okay with it they should have kept the Sioux moniker.

Same reason FSU has kept Seminoles.  The tribe is proud of it.

..and Trump's 'open goal' is not productive for moving this country in the direction it NEEDS to go.  This is not a sustainable path.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Anyone have any ideas for how you "defeat" the "radical left", as Trump put it?  Let's say that's anyone who doesn't approve of Trump, so anywhere between 50-60% of the country.  What's the game plan there?

Do such an amazing job running the country that you win them over?

Hammer blue states through any means possible until they...what, become red?

Anyone have any real strategy for the future of this country?  Any idea on the direction things need to go?  Any way to come together?  Any leadership whatsoever?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Yeezy with Musk as VP. Daft Punk For Secretaries of State. Get a couple new Supreme Court justices( Neil Young, Weird Al, @Gloves ) Lebron James and Colin Kaepernick as advisors. 
Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Californication said:
13 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

You don't know the black culture and aren't addressing the black culture. You are blaming people for life outcomes based on their race and are refusing to address the structural racism that treats minorities differently than white people. The structures need to be changed.

I'm trying to explain how culture affects outcomes and am trying to discuss/address those issues. The black communities are plagued with the highest single parent household rate and highest violent crime rate. I'll ask it again, do you think systemic racism is responsible for the rate of single parent households or that the #1 cause of death for young black males is homicide? What systemic racial oppression is causing these disparities?

I'm not blaming outcomes on RACE (like you and many others are)... it's the CULTURE (and personal decisions) that play a much bigger role in outcomes - for ANY race. I have no doubt in my mind that a culture shift in these communities will have a MUCH greater impact on outcomes than removing statues, removing brand images, renaming sports teams, and defunding the police. 

What structures need to change? Show me a racist structure and I'll agree with any changes for the better. 

Editorials Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Yeezy with Musk as VP. Daft Punk For Secretaries of State. Get a couple new Supreme Court justices( Neil Young, Weird Al, @Gloves ) Lebron James and Colin Kaepernick as advisors. 
Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Seriously?

...because everyone knows robots cannot be cabinet members.  GAWD.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I read a transcript of trumps Fourth of July speech from Mount Rushmore. Holy shit, how can someone not be embarrassed to be an American because of that? 

The guy is an absolute fucking joke. 

3rd of July speech. Fuck that guy. Can’t even get the date right for our independence....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Time for a Twitter checkup:

Screenshot_20200706-122743.png

How unifying and leader...ly.  I guess when in doubt play to your base's anger since that's the only thing going for him right now.  He should roll with that for 4 more years, it will take us to good places no doubt.

Gross!  The good news is, the more he plays to his base, the more Reasonable people that will be turned off by him.  Far more people are disgusted by him, but are looking at any other garbage that comes out of his mouth and say “yeah those are reasonable things A president should say, I’m on board with this guy”

Editorials Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I read a transcript of trumps Fourth of July speech from Mount Rushmore. Holy shit, how can someone not be embarrassed to be an American because of that? 

The guy is an absolute fucking joke. 

https://www.axios.com/monmouth-poll-trump-approval-a05b8144-1d1b-4296-a0d4-6ca0390b05ee.html

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I wonder if any of those people will change their tune once their family member start dying from Covid. Curious to see what that Poll would look like now eight months later

Editorials Team · Posted
Just now, MrWunderful said:

I wonder if any of those people will change their tune once their family member start dying from Covid. Curious to see what that Poll would look like now eight months later

They'll just say "Killary would have have killed my family faster" or something.  Or go on about Marxism or the WHO.

• Haha 1