IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, jonebone said:

So I follow another COVID thread on another much larger forum (Honda-Tech) over 5300 posts in it already.  Here's some real front line feedback.

One guy in the thread (Northern VA) had his wife just test positive for it.  They had to sign paperwork saying they would quarantine until all symptoms are resolved and then an additional 72 hours.  They were told to go absolutely no where, get stuff delivered and left on door step. His wife has asthma so he's a bit concerned but she's doing okay now other than laying around with a fever.

One guy in thread works in a Chicago hospital as an NP and is beyond stressed out.  He says front line people have no protective equipment, most of the ICU has fevers and pneumonia, but it takes about 3 days for a test to come back.  So they have no idea who has it or not and just are treating the symptoms as best they can.  He fears it is only a matter of time before staff start coming down with it.

Other news, seems to be a somewhat credible link about a Japenese drug that is "clearly effective" in treating COVID.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/18/japanese-flu-drug-clearly-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-officials-say/

Looks like there's been some promising results from French anti-malaria drugs as well

I plan on going out later today for some groceries. Last time I went out there was no TP, paper towels or baby wipes. And most uh...feminine products were gone too. Which totally bites for women. Shelf stable foods like tuna, Spam, soup and other canned goods or dried items were low/sold out. Freezer sections were pretty empty at Trader Joe's but the small Walmart (not the supercenter one) had a lot of freezer stuff.

We're lucky with TP so far, Walmart mistakenly gave us an extra package of it last month and we haven't touched it yet. So we're good for a bit...but no paper towels right now.

This sort of highlights the fact that we don't really have an emergency stockpile of items in case of a disaster...like an earthquake. I mean we all hear about how "the big one" is coming. While we have a fairly large pantry, we don't have some key essentials. Maybe when this all dies down I can finally convince my parents we need to make some emergency kits. Since I doubt we'll be able to stockpile now and we probably shouldn't? I mean I don't want to panic buy and take stuff that we don't need urgently like someone else might.

So far no one is sick in the house...though every time I cough I worry.

Has anyone started wearing gloves/masks when they have to go out? My dad's paranoid most of the time but this virus tipped him over and he's full blown paranoid right now wanting us to wear masks and gloves. So long as I use hand sanitizer (that's at least 60%), don't touch my face, don't eat out and wash my hands as soon as I get home...I think I'm safe.

I find it weird that while WA seems to be "ground zero" for the outbreak in the US...we still don't have the "shelter in place" order...other states do. I mean that means I'm still free to go out but...yeah that's a bit odd.

35 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/19/coronavirus-trump-wants-payments-of-1000-for-adults-500-for-kids.html

Looks like they're proposing to go full-bore with the money thrown from helicopters...

Two tranches, 6 weeks apart, $1000/adult and $500/child, both times.

Curious since ive never received such a check, how do they even deliver them? Blindly mail them out? By request?

Edited by Quest4Nes

37 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/19/coronavirus-trump-wants-payments-of-1000-for-adults-500-for-kids.html

Looks like they're proposing to go full-bore with the money thrown from helicopters...

Is there income limits on this?

3 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

Lmao at all those hesdlines. No bias there at all

Indeed; don'tcha just love how they claim to be "independent global news" when they are anything but independent?  At least with most conservative places they're totally upfront about being a conservative and/or pro-Trump place and don't try to pretend to be neutral.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

Curious since ive never received such a check, how do they even deliver them? Blindly mail them out? By request?

We got such a rebate a long time ago (maybe Carter? or Reagan? - I just don't remember under who).  We received a check - I assume the info was taken from the last 1040s filed.  I assume today it would be issued  via direct deposit (if applicable).   You didn't have to file for it - it was automatic. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

Lmao at all those hesdlines. No bias there at all

It really is a good episode. You should check it out. 

It cracked me up that the nobel laureate economist they had on used the same quote I used yesterday on this thread, regarding how the recovery would be handled.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tabonga said:

OK - it was under Ford in 1975.  It wasn't very much (but then salaries were a lot lower) - $200 for those who made under $20000 and $100 for people from $20000 to $30000 (from what I could tell from the atricle I found).

Wow, I didn't know they did that in those days (don't forget you do indeed have to adjust for inflation).  They even had gas ration books/coupons printed up and prepared (like the kind you had during WWII) just in case it became necessary.

1d_gas_coupon-01.jpg

1 minute ago, Estil said:

Wow, I didn't know they did that in those days (don't forget you do indeed have to adjust for inflation).  They even had gas ration books/coupons printed up and prepared (like the kind you had during WWII) just in case it became necessary.

1d_gas_coupon-01.jpg

I think that may have been the only time they did that - at least that I can remember.

Somewhere I have a ration book and some unused stamps from WWII.

2 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Is there income limits on this?

There wasn't last time, that I recall.

Basically it is easier for them to just pay everyone than worry about disqualifiers.

That said, they COULD make it an advance on a tax credit that they could reclaim from higher earners at tax time next year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

There wasn't last time, that I recall.

Basically it is easier for them to just pay everyone than worry about disqualifiers.

That said, they COULD make it an advance on a tax credit that they could reclaim from higher earners at tax time next year.

Kinda makes me nervous about using it. I dont want it as an advance tax credit. 
Hell I dont even need it in the first place. Theyll probably say I make too much even though I dont.

Edited by Quest4Nes
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Quest4Nes said:

Kinda makes me nervous about using it. I dont want it as an advance tax credit. 
Hell I dont even need it in the first place. Theyll probably say I make too much even though I dont.

They will state all of that up front if it is the case.

Most likely is it is literally "helicopter money" to every man woman and child, given the urgency of the situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

We got such a rebate a long time ago (maybe Carter? or Reagan? - I just don't remember under who).  We received a check - I assume the info was taken from the last 1040s filed.  I assume today it would be issued  via direct deposit (if applicable).   You didn't have to file for it - it was automatic. 

Happened twice with 'W'.

First time was just a child tax credit, issued mid year ($800 per kid).

Second time was in the great recession, that was structured like this but only one payout that happened versus two sequential called for here.

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

They will state all of that up front if it is the case.

Most likely is it is literally "helicopter money" to every man woman and child, given the urgency of the situation.

Well if thats the case next pay period is a short one and I get paid on March 20th and April 10th. Sprinkle in an extra grand in between and Ill be allright I guess. 

5 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

How are they going to pay for that?