IGNORED

Flat Panels vs CRT

zeppelin03

I had a CRT in the corner of my living room until new years 2019.  More and more of my gaming had shifted to a flat panel.  Mods like the UltraHDMI and the OSSC have made this a very simple process.  The space savings has been great as I now have a small office corner for my desktop.  Fast forward to this week and I am trying to finish an OOT randomizer while watching GDQ.  I dig out my 27" Toshiba and hook up my RGB modded N64.  Never thought it would happen but I much prefer the look of my retro games on my flat panel.  No more blur, poor geometry, and color inaccuracies. 

Has anyone else turned their back on the past and accepting the flat panel lifestyle?  I have to say its great running these through the same screen and sound system as anything else I do.  So convenient and with the right settings they look great.  It's taken a couple years to get there but the right mods, equipment, and FPGA are finally out there.  2020 Might be the year I reclaim my storage unit finally. 

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't ever plan getting rid of my CRTs, I love them too much. Although I do plan on doing the HDMI mods to some of my consoles, the problem is that for some things I just prefer the look on a CRT. On top of that, the cost of entry is way too high for me right now for HDMI mods. The one I really wanna do is the dualGC to get that RGB goodness and HDMI, but thats about $125 just for the kit, then I gotta perform the mod. However, with TVs getting objectively better and mods getting out of this world, I see a future where CRTs become much more niche than what they already are, primarily used in arcade cabinets and for light gun games. But who knows, the future is full of surprises and there are a lot of great people in the community doing excellent work to help modernize some of these consoles.

Edited by SNESNESCUBE64

I prefer flat panels. I actually like the look and love large screens. The light gun issue is being effectively addressed, at least for NES. I like the new hardware.

I understand the love for CRTs, and if that's your thing, you do you.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

CRT all the way here. I'm glad the lag has more or less been addressed by upscalers like retroTink and ossc, or internal HMDI mods, but it's just the look that isn't there yet. CRT shaders just don't have it and until they do, or we somehow get a new panel technology that can do true multisync and create that oblong pellet look with different heights and widths for different colors and brightnesses (TBH idk why anyone would as watching movies and tv is way better on the flat panels provided it's HD content), then I'm sticking with my tubes. If I'm gonna go for an imitation then I damn well better not be able to tell the difference. Weight be damned.

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Poll!

I love the AVS on my big screen but if I had the spot for a man cave, I'd do a 27" CRT for Zappper games and pile up some VHS tapes to get that authentic nostalgia feels.  

That's what I'm doing in the corner of my bedroom right now, but the CRT is a ten incher. Might even pull out the ol vcr. 

14 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Poll!

I love the AVS on my big screen but if I had the spot for a man cave, I'd do a 27" CRT for Zappper games and pile up some VHS tapes to get that authentic nostalgia feels.  

I’m totally gonna do that! Oh wait....... girlfriend lives here too and she will just complain about it. Never mind. Nothing to see here. Carry on.

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, BortLicensePlate said:

Actually yesterday I did a test where I played mario 3 on both a crt and a flat panel back to back one level at a time to see which I preferred. I decided I like the flat panel more as well

Get outta here with your logic and reasoning! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know it's not popular to say but screw CRT.  Outside of owning the NES Sharp TV for awhile, and now currently a 25" anchored into my Neo Geo cabinet, I won't touch the stuff.  I could grab one right now if I wanted in the sub 30" range free in town but I won't.  I don't care for the low def softness, glow, blur whatever you want to call it.

I get the problem with the flat panel and it makes sense, if you buy a crappy one and don't do your research.  I learned this lesson as some may remember years ago when I was on NA.  I went into bitching about how Super Mario All Stars on Wii was a POS because it lagged, I'd think I was jumping over a goomba onto a pipe but the lag put me into a hole 100% of the time so I blamed the game (I still have that big screen as the main room tv.)  But then my CRT I had used into the Wii era died (Sony Wega) and had replaced it with a 720P very very low latency no post processing by default Panasonic Viera.  I annoyingly put the Wii on the big one and that was the mistake, a year after dumping it someone on NA put up the game and I made a poorly written joke that half committed me to buying the game, not to screw with the dude I bought it, and by then my Wii was on the Viera.  I had a realization the moment I kicked the crap out of that game it was display lag, and also poor visual quality on the Samsung.  When that TV got broken some years later displaylag.com was around and they discussed all the post processing, other issues with upscaling, etc and rated tvs on a scale of excellent to poor with a millisecond lag.  I found for me (and most) if you're at 29ms or less, you won't have an issue, and if you find one that takes a pure feed the image quality is fantastic.  I researched this  $250 Vizio 29" TV and it rated around 26ms with all filtering able to be disabled and the games ran as lag free and sharp as my viera (or a PC LCD too) would do.  No blur, no softness, no blobby muddy pixels, none of it.  Sharp, clean, and still fast enough to handle shooters to Punchout.

So no, I won't tolerate CRTs anymore, they're borderline dead to me and when the 25" has enough problems a flat panel is going into my arcade cabinet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I have 2 CRT's hooked up at any given time. If/When someone fully addresses light guns and lag I would have no problem moving to flats then.

Cant help with light guns but input lag is just a matter of research. My last 2 TVs have given me no problems at all, and I also had a crt for comparison 

17 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Quick, start collecting Neo Geo!

I have 😄  Things changed in my absence. 😉  I've got a pretty cherry 2slot sitting to the right of me here and around 30 carts plus the big multi to the left.  Not to short the NGPC too or the NG Mini International on my desk. 😄  I'm a big SNK (Neo Geo) fan.

Guess to each their own but I play all of my retro games on my crt,plus that I rgb modded it the picture is awesome,also have a nec for 1983 that I have my famicom and ps1 hooked up to via composite and that looks great to me as well.

I do understand making the switch to modern tv's as crt's can be a pain in the ass depending on the size,geometry issues and plus working on them is dangerous if you don't know what your doing.

• Like 1