IGNORED

Flat Panels vs CRT

zeppelin03

35 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

What are you using to play SMB3 on the flat screen? 

Actually it was on the switch, so an emulator technically. The plan is to upgrade to an avs eventually, but the experiment was to see if it was worth upgrading. The look should be about the same

14 minutes ago, BortLicensePlate said:

Actually it was on the switch, so an emulator technically. The plan is to upgrade to an avs eventually, but the experiment was to see if it was worth upgrading. The look should be about the same

Ok. I have an avs hooked up to a Vizio and it fails the MTPO input lag test 😕 

I'm honestly kind of surprised so many others have made the switch.  I do think with proper research into your panel and the use of game mode you can have a really good experience on a flat panel.  I've used rtings and retrorgb to help select my TV.  Very happy with the results.

Couple of quick pictures of the results and I'm pleased.  N64 and other 3d consoles look great with their scalers, deblurs, etc.  No more hazy text in OOT menus.  Just nice clean fonts.

MVIMG_20200113_064320.thumb.jpg.7a7e3f051338e1c05df95bec9a402b3a.jpgMVIMG_20200113_065119.thumb.jpg.5892410169a44a6f3091f7f3d2bf411d.jpg

51 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I'm honestly kind of surprised so many others have made the switch.  I do think with proper research into your panel and the use of game mode you can have a really good experience on a flat panel.  I've used rtings and retrorgb to help select my TV.  Very happy with the results.

Couple of quick pictures of the results and I'm pleased.  N64 and other 3d consoles look great with their scalers, deblurs, etc.  No more hazy text in OOT menus.  Just nice clean fonts.

MVIMG_20200113_064320.thumb.jpg.7a7e3f051338e1c05df95bec9a402b3a.jpgMVIMG_20200113_065119.thumb.jpg.5892410169a44a6f3091f7f3d2bf411d.jpg

I'm curious, what solution did you use for N64? I'm leaning towards getting the eon hdmi adapter, since ultra hdmi mods are costly and seeing comparison videos online, theres a difference but not big enough to justify the cost difference 

Administrator · Posted

I gave away my CRT years ago and have zero regrets.  I get that people still love them for accuracy, or authenticity, or nostalgia, or whatever the case may be, and if that's how they like to game, that's great!   For me personally, the trade off is worth it.  I'm still in the process of working out solutions for everything of course.

This problem is only going to get worse as CRTs die out and get harder and harder (or possibly more expensive) to find in good working condition.   

Like most other things in gaming / collecting, to each his/her own here.  Pros and cons to both options.

19 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

I love the AVS on my big screen but if I had the spot for a man cave, I'd do a 27" CRT for Zappper games and pile up some VHS tapes to get that authentic nostalgia feels.  

I'm also a fan of CRTs for gaming. I don't care if I ever see another VHS tape again, though. You can make the argument that games in the CRT era were meant to be played on those screens, but most movies weren't meant to be viewed in that pan-and-scan, perpetually degrading mag tape, looking like Vaseline was smeared on the camera lens format... The first time I ever watched a DVD was like putting on glasses for the first time. What a revelation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, dvertov said:

I'm also a fan of CRTs for gaming. I don't care if I ever see another VHS tape again, though. You can make the argument that games in the CRT era were meant to be played on those screens, but most movies weren't meant to be viewed in that pan-and-scan, perpetually degrading mag tape, looking like Vaseline was smeared on the camera lens format... The first time I ever watched a DVD was like putting on glasses for the first time. What a revelation.

Lol.  I definitely like HD movies and streaming services but I miss old tapes, especially the Simpsons and Futurama 6 or 8 hour tapes recorded from tv.  I would edit out most of commercials but record the good ones.  I also had a ton of the letterbox prerecorded tapes.  I'd skip the pan n scan whenever possible. 

2 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

I'm curious, what solution did you use for N64? I'm leaning towards getting the eon hdmi adapter, since ultra hdmi mods are costly and seeing comparison videos online, theres a difference but not big enough to justify the cost difference 

I went with the UltraHDMI.  I prefer the internal options when available.  Less cables and whatnot do deal with.  Plus I wanted the higher quality video that was available.

Personally I would just get a retrotink if you are looking at the EON.  Run s-video into a retrotink and have a device for your other consoles as well.  The EON can only pull S-video without mods.  I recall talk of people removing the globs covering the chips on the EON.  They ended up being the same as the retrotink so just go with the original.

10 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Lol.  I definitely like HD movies and streaming services but I miss old tapes, especially the Simpsons and Futurama 6 or 8 hour tapes recorded from tv.  I would edit out most of commercials but record the good ones.  I also had a ton of the letterbox prerecorded tapes.  I'd skip the pan n scan whenever possible. 

I remember making stupid action movies with high school friends where I'd use two VCRs to edit -- one playing back "raw" footage, the other recording it while I'd hit the pause button to stop and start the tape. Always a little bit of VCR fuzz and warped audio to soften the transition between each shot. Good times (not very good movies, though). 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I went with the UltraHDMI.  I prefer the internal options when available.  Less cables and whatnot do deal with.  Plus I wanted the higher quality video that was available.

Personally I would just get a retrotink if you are looking at the EON.  Run s-video into a retrotink and have a device for your other consoles as well.  The EON can only pull S-video without mods.  I recall talk of people removing the globs covering the chips on the EON.  They ended up being the same as the retrotink so just go with the original.

My problem with the retro tink is that it needs a power source and they dont recommend having multiple systems plugged in at once. I dont want to constantly change out the cables, so it'll be used on only one console anyway, and you get the nice plastic shell to go with it. Unless I was misinformed the about multiple systems at once, because that was the deal breaker for me

Not sure on multiple consoles for that one.  Ended up with an OSSC myself so I was never able to rest that out.

Personally I feel like the Retrotink and UltraHDMI are better values but can understand needing something that can work within your setup.  Maybe the EON will fit your needs if power isn't something you want to mess with.

Homebrew Team · Posted
6 hours ago, dvertov said:

Screenshot_20200113-163031__01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I prefer CRTs. And have found a modded wii via component has been my new go to. I have OG Hardware in other places on PVMs and other CRTs but I like sitting down in the evening and freely switching between systems without getting off my ass. lol. 

Here is a recent new gaming corner I put together yesterday. CRT FTW! 😀

D37FDE7B-7209-414C-85E4-25BA9F9585DE.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dvertov said:

I'm right there with you for movies. Give me the highest quality possible. But, for things that only came out on VHS or SD DVDs such as old skate videos, they look much better on SD CRTs. I just prefer to try and match the content to the display. So SD on CRTs, old PC games on CRT monitors, HD tv and movies and any games from 360 forward (except Wii) on flat panels.

• Like 1