IGNORED

JJ Games shutting down

It is happening: https://www.jjgames.com

While niche market for premium 1st run sealed items and their iterations seemed to have been on the rise, the overall market was slumping. We knew that. But it’s suprising to see one of the larger, one of the 2 main retailers really, deciding to step out of the game lile this.

I only ever bought a handfu of items from jj over the years, but it feels like they and Lukiegames were the most consistent presence in the NES market, especially on ebay and it’s weird to imagine any of them actually not making ends meet anymore.

I wonder if this will have any effect on pricecharting’s services.

F.

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg

Wow that is a bummer. I guess a sign of the loose collecting market or just everyone flocking to eBay for best prices. I’ll have to check out what they have for N64. 

edit: even with going out of business "sale" on the game prices were still too much. I'll wait a little bit to see if they get better. It also doesn't mention what games are what % off.

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Yeah I was looking at chameleon twist one and two as an example. I can get both on eBay with shipping for about $35-$45 and JJ is selling CT2 alone for that price. Which is odd because PriceCharting has CT2 loose at $25. One hell of a markup!

I’m almost wondering if they increased prices before announcing their closing because I too look at some Genesis stuff last night and some was super high. I remember in the past always gettin good deals from JJ but maybe the deals weren’t as good as I recall..

• Like 1

Just now, Foochie776 said:

I’m almost wondering if they increased prices before announcing their closing because I too look at some Genesis stuff last night and some was super high. I remember in the past always gettin good deals from JJ but maybe the deals weren’t as good as I recall..

The Facebook page says to keep checking back as they will steadily decrease prices on a daily basis till it’s all gone. I’ll check back closer to the end of next week and look at those N64 prices again. 

• Like 1

I got the feeling that they/DKOldies/Lukie filled the "Grandma buys grandson some Nintendo tapes because she doesn't want to use Ebay" market.

$30+for Punchout is only going to get you a certain type of shopper.

That plus the NES Mini, etc, no real surprise.

The one thing I'll miss is that they would sometimes buy large lots I had on Ebay.

• Like 1

As of the past couple of months getting toward end of my GB set, I did buy a few games from them.  There prices were high but the conditions were right for some games I had a tough time finding.

I’m still not done with my complete GB set but close. After I got a copy of every cart, I was intending to use them to hunt variants since I also want to try and get a complete set of those too.  Oh well.  Looks like game shops and eBay will now be my only hope. 😕

They were the absolute bomb for hunting variants and filling sets because they included pictures of everything and it was easy to browse. He also didn't distinguish pricing between variants, so you could definitely find deals. I didn't buy much over like $15 but for the cheapie stuff like Xbox sports games and platinum hits I put in many orders to fill sets. A few years back you could get set filler CIB games for close to $1 shipped with their $1 off discount, but they raised prices to a minimum of like $3 a game.

Edited by DefaultGen

It's probably because they charged double the going rate for all their games. Pokemon FireRed loose, that'll be $70 please. Smb3 loose, that'll be $40 please. Never did understand why people paid their prices when you could always go on eBay and find it for significantly cheaper. 

Having said that, I hate to see any gaming business go out of business. Best of luck to the owner and their new endeavors.

4 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

Their prices arent that bad on anything not extremely popular. First Party and the most popular games were jacked up price wise, but the nes and snes classic and switch online put a big dent in original copies of the common popular titles. So it makes their prices right now look even worse.

I never once found a game there below the current going rate. It was rare to find any even at the current going rate. Looks like their games NOW with the sale are mostly at the current going rate. Still not enough to entice me. A sale should be below the current going rate, otherwise I have no incentive to buy it.

I'm not surprised and people on social media like here are calling out the same stuff.  They were overpriced, grossly in some cases, and what they had seemed to be random and scattershot on much of their supply.  One person pointed out with an image, wow no wonder you're going under, and had a picture of it saying 'going out of sale price' and then $57 for Zelda the Wind Waker on Gamecube.  Gee...no wonder.  I don't like people being out of a job, but when you do that kind of pricing to deceive people who don't do research you won't last as they'll catch on.

• Like 3

Well, I know I’m being an armchair quarter back, but I think one problem for many of these resellers is that if you put a price on everything and you are willing to buy it, eventually you probably get top-heavy, either holding a bunch of crap or from having to toss that junk.  If you buy 100,000 games foe $.20-1.00 but can’t sell them, you basically have to junk them because space isn’t free, and that could be a loss of $50-60k.  I’m spitballing these numbers but the point is, it’s hard to recoup those costs over time of buying up peoples junk with their gems.  To do that, you mark up the price of everything else.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
16 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

Wonder what’s going to happen to price charting..... GVN has gone to the dump so nothing really out there if they go. There will be no true tool for the average non collector. eBay sales history is the best option but that is a lot of leg work for someone not in the hobby

When a space appears, someone will fill it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1