G-type

Do you think hypnosis is real?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think hypnosis is real?

• Yes. Totally!
    • No way.
    • I'm not sure....

Sorry. but it's true.

"but I went to a hypnotist and they helped me quit smoking." Congratulations. you went to a therapist who told you could quit smoking if you wanted to, so you did.

"but my sister/boyfriend/cousin went up on stage and thought they were a chicken" they have a good imagination and felt comfortable enough to play along.

"But they made that person instantly fall asleep" Notice the first thing the hypnotist says to the person is "you can still hear me"... no duh. Because they are not really asleep.

hypnosis is just gobbledygook for "use your imaginations" or "do the things that they already want to do." It gives them an excuse for their behavior (similar to how some people tend to blame it on being hungry, or tired) and is a convenient crutch to try something new or to tackle a problem that you felt was beyond your control. It's a placebo. And as we all know, placebos actually can sometimes work because people believe they will work. If a trusted authority gave someone a sugar pill and told them it will alleviate their pain, and they will tell you, "yes, it doesn't hurt so bad anymore".

Edited by G-type

• The title was changed to Hypnosis isn't real

Do you have any actual evidence of this, other than your own, strongly worded opinion?  I'm not saying that you're absolutely in the wrong regarding people going along with what they ultimately want or don't want to do, but I've seen enough documentation and talked to enough people to believe absolutely otherwise in regard to your apparent stipulation that everybody is just "play acting" and going along with the hypnotist versus actually being talked into a slightly different state of consciousness (at which point suggestions tend to be reacted upon immediately by folks in that state versus cautiously considered and acted upon only if a person is openly willing to do so).

Here's a good article for the doubters.  Yeah, a lot of the variety show type stuff is faked, but the actual technique/process itself is a real, documented thing.  Just like all things, it doesn't necessarily work on everybody.  Now before folks get their panties in a bunch, don't be so quick to jump on that one, as you wouldn't claim that opiates or novocaine aren't real drugs, and yet due to whatever quirk of genetics, neither really works as intended for various members of my family.  For other immediate family members they've never worked, for me they worked once or twice, but not beyond that.

https://www.healthline.com/health/is-hypnosis-real

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Here's a good article for the doubters.  Yeah, a lot of the variety show type stuff is faked, but the actual technique/process itself is a real, documented thing.  Just like all things, it doesn't necessarily work on everybody.  Now before folks get their panties in a bunch, don't be so quick to jump on that one, as you wouldn't claim that opiates or novocaine aren't real drugs, and yet due to whatever quirk of genetics, neither really works as intended for various members of my family.  For other immediate family members they've never worked, for me they worked once or twice, but not beyond that.

https://www.healthline.com/health/is-hypnosis-real

Good article.  Explains what Hypnosis is and isn't.

The fact that hypnosis is hard to believe doesn't mean it's not real. It's a perfectly proven form of therapy.

Of course, I guess it comes down to what exactly you're discussing. There's a broad spectrum of movie/cartoon hypnosis that obviously isn't real, but honestly that kind of stuff is a pretty common deviance in fiction. It's no different to putting horns on viking helmets or hacking the pentagon in 10 minutes by typing really fast.

It is...I believe the French term is...bullshit.

Do you also put magic rocks on your forehead and sniff sticks?  I hear smelling rose petals keeps the plague away.  Don’t let them get you with their evil vaccines and science.  My dog got the rabies vaccine and now he’s autistic.  

My aunt was at a Reveen show back in the 70's and he did the thing where he "locks" your hands together and then unlocks them before starting the show. Hers didn't unlock so she ran up to the stage and he had to unlock them again.

Based on that story, and this picture, I believe in hypnotism 100%

8213353.jpg

• Haha 3

Hypnosis is definitely real, but not in the way it is depicted in cartoons and movies.

My dad and granddad were both physicians and learned hypnosis to help work with patients in certain circumstances.

In my Granddad's case, he had to do plastic surgery on a girl's face about 50 years ago, and at least at the time, local anesthesia would have distorted the tissue and made scarring worse.  Instead, he hypnotised the girl and she was able to sit completely still and not flinch while having her face stitched up and partially reconstructed.

It is a method for getting people open to hypnotic suggestion to sort of go into a zone where they can completely tune out anything other than the hypnotic suggestion. (Ie ignore pain, or ignore a crowd that they would otherwise find embarrassing, etc)

Semantically, maybe you want to call that something else, but that is what hypnosis actually is, and it is definitely real.

• Like 3