IGNORED

How do you deal with FOMO?

Strange

Administrator · Posted
32 minutes ago, B.A. said:

You also get to wonder how much fun having a huge stinky shit blowout at a party would be.  Spoiler, it wouldn't be fun.  You made the right call. 

18 minutes ago, RH said:

I agree with @B.A. and not only that, I'm very careful when selecting what I eat at holiday parties.  100% of the time that either I, or my family, has ever gotten sick at the holidays has come from eating something at a party.

That lamb might have been served right out of the oven but, I don't know what the deal is, but with some foods that were cooked earlier in the day but kept warm, even those can cause problems.

No. Thank. You.

Lol fair enough, that makes me feel a little better lol. This particular party was at the CEO's house and was catered, she 100% was just showing off. 

These days I basically live by moderation. Try everything, never gorge. So far it's worked pretty well! 

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Lol fair enough, that makes me feel a little better lol. This particular party was at the CEO's house and was catered, she 100% was just showing off. 

These days I basically live by moderation. Try everything, never gorge. So far it's worked pretty well! 

Damn, so you probably missed out on using the CEO's bidet as well... (when you're a CEO, a water-jet is the way to go)

31 minutes ago, RH said:

I agree with @B.A. and not only that, I'm very careful when selecting what I eat at holiday parties.  100% of the time that either I, or my family, has ever gotten sick at the holidays has come from eating something at a party.

That lamb might have been served right out of the oven but, I don't know what the deal is, but with some foods that were cooked earlier in the day but kept warm, even those can cause problems.

No. Thank. You.

Santa worked in a restaurant as a teen before becoming the RULER OF THE ELVES.

There's something called the "danger temperature" that is the perfect breeding ground for bacteria.   For meats I believe it's between room temp and 110 degrees or so?   The sitting food is very likely to be in that range unless they have it in a proper chafing dish setup.

• Like 1

Have never experienced a Bidet. I actually just had to Wiki it to be sure of its function....What a world we live in!!!

A plumbing fixture or type of sink intended for washing the genitalia, perineum, inner buttocks, and anus of the human body. It may be located next to the toilet in the toilet room. Fixtures that combine a toilet seat with a bidet, which may be electronic, are available.

1 hour ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

Have never experienced a Bidet. I actually just had to Wiki it to be sure of its function....What a world we live in!!!

A plumbing fixture or type of sink intended for washing the genitalia, perineum, inner buttocks, and anus of the human body. It may be located next to the toilet in the toilet room. Fixtures that combine a toilet seat with a bidet, which may be electronic, are available.

Heh, go watch Ron White's bit on toilets and bidets.

15 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

Oddly anything I've sold I haven't regretted. I've kept most childhood stuff so that probably helps.  Now anything being sold I purchased as an adult which helps.  Far less nostalgia.

I know my PSP sat on a shelf.  That stuff went early. Modded my Vita in the event I ever feel like I am missing out.

Well if you read again part of what I got into there, I lost a job when a lie of one company merging into another killed the one I worked for and we were put to the street in two weeks also under threat of no severance if we didn't work as free moving/packing labor to ship stuff out.  I went through unemployment until it ran out, then barely and sometimes not got by month to month working 2 jobs of which 1 was every day of the year.  To have a hobby at a minimum, usually to get buy I had to part off what was a collection into the thousands.  It's not like I wanted to let it go, so yeah, it was like ripping off a band-aid time and again slowly and painfully as possible all over.  So I'll be quite pleased with the Duo back.  The Virtual Boy recovery at the start of the year was another overcome loss.  The only one remaining I've written off as the price is beyond asinine on Aerofighters on SNES so I just don't care.

Though I did keep what I could, the Duo came during college, what I refused to let fly was the NES, SNES, Gameboy to a large extent, N64, GC got stripped some as did the GBC.  Virtual Boy, Duo, anything Sega (and I had it all but Sega cD/32x and Pico), anything Sony (PS1, PS2, PSP), SNk (NGPC), and quite a bit other went flying. 

If one good thing came out of it, was the ability to let crap leave now, I just don't get that attached anymore because I didn't like the first time around.

• Wow! 1

The fact that even if you obtain that one thing you really want, guaranteed there will be something else after that. And something after that. And something after that. Basically, at least in my experience, no matter how much I accumulate it's never enough. So I try to just be happy with what I can afford.

• Like 2

I'm generally a patient kind of guy, with a strong propensity for delayed gratification. It's not too often I feel the urge to spring for an item impulsively, and I certainly don't allow myself to get to wrapped up in whatever might be the flavour-of-the-month hype like some people do. So, FOMO isn't really a factor in my collecting very often.

As for more general advice, I'd say sticking to a few core collecting interests, such as particular systems or series can help in this regard. That way, when the FOMO urge does hit you can kinda decide whether it fits with your interest or whether you'd be better off steering clear. You can definitely get caught up in the hype of a particular item more easily if your collecting goals are too broad or ill-defined.

On 12/18/2019 at 9:42 PM, OptOut said:

I'm generally a patient kind of guy, with a strong propensity for delayed gratification. It's not too often I feel the urge to spring for an item impulsively, and I certainly don't allow myself to get to wrapped up in whatever might be the flavour-of-the-month hype like some people do. So, FOMO isn't really a factor in my collecting very often.

As for more general advice, I'd say sticking to a few core collecting interests, such as particular systems or series can help in this regard. That way, when the FOMO urge does hit you can kinda decide whether it fits with your interest or whether you'd be better off steering clear. You can definitely get caught up in the hype of a particular item more easily if your collecting goals are too broad or ill-defined.

I like your way of thinking. I have worked on this over the last couple years. Great article here that speaks to the behavior of delayed gratification. Not saying those who indulge in impulsive behavior behave like toddlers but getting instant comfort in buying things speaks to a much bigger picture I feel.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/your-emotional-meter/201712/the-benefits-delaying-gratification

7 minutes ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

I like your way of thinking. I have worked on this over the last couple years. Great article here that speaks to the behavior of delayed gratification. Not saying those who indulge in impulsive behavior behave like toddlers but getting instant comfort in buying things speaks to a much bigger picture I feel.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/your-emotional-meter/201712/the-benefits-delaying-gratification

I did not read the full article, but noticed the publication date and skimmed until I saw mention of the marshmallow test in there. The results and interpretations of that study from the 1960s have been reevaluated more recently, see the following:

https://behavioralscientist.org/try-to-resist-misinterpreting-the-marshmallow-test/

The premise that delayed gratification is better (certainly with regard to the marshmallow test) is based on getting more value out of such behavior in the long-term; while this applies to many areas of life in my opinion (the less [early] you consume, the more you build), within collectibles hobbies, this is not always the case. The fear of missing out is not necessarily the desire of having something now vs. (more) later, but can also be driven by the desire to obtain something that you may otherwise never be able to obtain again (be it the item, the condition it is in, historical provenance, etc). In other words, not giving in to acquiring an item may actually result in a worse outcome long-term, depending on your collecting goals. As someone who seeks out obscure items, this is more often than not the case for me, and I therefore allow myself to be slightly more influenced by the market and availability of items than those who collect from a set of readily available collectibles. There's strategies to deal with that, and in my case, I accept larger month-to-month fluctuations in my spending pattern and budget accordingly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Speedy_NES said:

I did not read the full article, but noticed the publication date and skimmed until I saw mention of the marshmallow test in there. The results and interpretations of that study from the 1960s have been reevaluated more recently, see the following:

https://behavioralscientist.org/try-to-resist-misinterpreting-the-marshmallow-test/

The premise that delayed gratification is better (certainly with regard to the marshmallow test) is based on getting more value out of such behavior in the long-term; while this applies to many areas of life in my opinion (the less [early] you consume, the more you build), within collectibles hobbies, this is not always the case. The fear of missing out is not necessarily the desire of having something now vs. (more) later, but can also be driven by the desire to obtain something that you may otherwise never be able to obtain again (be it the item, the condition it is in, historical provenance, etc). In other words, not giving in to acquiring an item may actually result in a worse outcome long-term, depending on your collecting goals. As someone who seeks out obscure items, this is more often than not the case for me, and I therefore allow myself to be slightly more influenced by the market and availability of items than those who collect from a set of readily available collectibles. There's strategies to deal with that, and in my case, I accept larger month-to-month fluctuations in my spending pattern and budget accordingly.

Excellent point. I feel in the end (me personally) I do not want my happiness defined by any materialistic items, especially collectibles. I have made some great strides in this but I still have this overwhelming urge to keep what I have. Selling these collection items is another thing all together. Letting go of them once I have them 🙂  

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2019 at 1:59 PM, Sign Collector Guy said:

Excellent point. I feel in the end (me personally) I do not want my happiness defined by any materialistic items, especially collectibles. I have made some great strides in this but I still have this overwhelming urge to keep what I have. Selling these collection items is another thing all together. Letting go of them once I have them 🙂  

I know exactly what you mean, and I imagine most collectors have to actively draw a line at some point on what to collect, not to collect, and sometimes sell/avoid vs. other priorities. I think it's healthy to diversify where one gets happiness from, much like with investments, as every domain has ups and downs, and it's healthy not too be too absorbed by the collecting hobby. When it's difficult to sell items, it has helped me to put the benefits side by side of the item vs. the alternative (whether collectible or non-collectible). When there is choice overload on what to sell/trade/etc, you can always rank by replaceability, to keep options open in case the direction changes again down the line.