IGNORED

What do you consider the greatest game ever created?

Nintegageo

Man I've never liked Tetris, hope I'm not missing out on the greatest game ever created.

In seriousness, are you trying to do this objectively?  You'd need to define great (most sales?  highest ratings? most influential? etc.) first.

Or if we're just looking for off the cuff nominations I'd throw out Diablo II.  Not necessarily my favorite but boy did a lot of people play that in some capacity even if just casually.  The the replay value keep it going a long time. 

What a tough question! For me I think puzzle games are good contenders, being so enduring, universally enjoyed and satisfying to play. I'd have to vote for Tetris or Bejeweled. Outside of that maybe The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time felt like a perfect game all around. Also Super Mario Bros. 3. Not my personal best games of all time and I haven't played every game ever made. 

Tetris probably has the widest reach, broadest audience across multiple generations, and is a genuinely influential game with respect to how people think about and interact with the world.

It may not be the "best" game ever created.

But it is almost certainly the most important that didn't get its start on a modified oscilloscope.

7 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

Tetris is a shit puzzle game.

smb3 is the greatest game ever created and the most overrated at the same time.

You mean that Tetris is the shit.

SMB3 is impressive for NES, but Nintendo cheaped out by not including a battery save. SMB1 is my favorite Mario because of how stripped down it is. It's just straightforward and fun without too many bells and whistles.

Edited by mbd39

I don't think you could really have a true number 1, unless it was something like Pac-Man in the arcade.

I still would have zero interest in playing the world's best RPG, just because I have no interest in RPGs.

People with no puzzle game interest aren't going to like Tetris.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I don't think you could really have a true number 1, unless it was something like Pac-Man in the arcade.

I still would have zero interest in playing the world's best RPG, just because I have no interest in RPGs.

You can really only be objective when deciding on the most important games based on influence or the most popular games based on sales figures. "Best" is always going to be subjective for the reason you mention.

Space Invaders and Pong are two of the most important games ever made but almost nobody is going to list either as being best or among their favorites.

Editorials Team · Posted

This is like trying to decide the best song in the world. Even people who have "woken up" to "real music" won't all agree on which Frank Zappa song is the best, lol

I'm on team Tetris because I like puzzle games. Games often get docked if they have "random elements" because nobody likes to be subject to the mercy of some RNG engine. Try beating the Mario Party 3 single player story mode. But Tetris is all about random pieces, why isn't it a problem there? Because Tetris gives you other ways to solve your predicament. Yeah, you want the long skinny piece, but you don't have to sit and wait for it, you can keep yourself from dying with the pieces you ARE getting. You don't have to wait for a specific thing to randomly occur, like in games where randomness is a bad thing.

There's lots of choices. I usually think of Super Mario Bros., Doom, and Grand Theft Auto III if I had to pick a top 3. Minecraft would be a solid pick too.

I think Doom is in a sweet spot of importance from a gameplay and technical perspective as well as holding up super well over time.

Edited by DefaultGen

38 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I like the Pac-Man nomination.  I can't get behind Tetris but I see Pac-Man casting a pretty wide appealing net.  

I have a lot of different suggestions based on how personal/subjective I'm going to get.

But a lot of people have already said Tetris, so I think that's a game worth addressing.
Of course you can't just say "Tetris" and stop there, as there are literally hundreds of different versions of that game, and a surprising high amount of them have a bunch of individual issues. In terms of the most perfectly balanced and exceptionally enjoyable, challenging single player version, with an absolutely incredible skill ceiling, Tetris: The Grand Master 2 is to me the absolute, perfect iteration of Tetris.

I don't know if I would say it's THE greatest game in the world, but I'd definitely be satisfied with it getting that trophy if there ever was one.
I think the reason why a lot of people always bring up Tetris in this context is that Tetris is the closest you can probably get to a "perfect" video game. The concept is so simple that there is barely anything you can do to change it without making it a different game. A lot of people have tried, and some of those are very good. But they have never been able to reach the same amount depth and infinite replayability that the core Tetris concept has.
That said, you can still fine-tune stuff in terms of how the game relays feedback to the player, how inputs work in terms of making the controls more intuitive, precise, and satisfying, etc. and this is the reason I'd submit TGM2. Not because it's a famously "super fast and hard" arcade game. But because just playing it on any skill level is simply incredibly satisfying, like few other games.

28 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

On one hand that argument could be pushed on any potential "correct" answer (of which there is none). Any game of any genre would potentially not apply to a person who dislikes that genre.

On the other hand, I'm also not sure you are correct, though it depends on how specific you are about "puzzle games". Like if you dislike the fact that they are mostly abstract, then yeah, Tetris won't appeal to you of course.
But even in the world of puzzle games, Tetris stands out. No other game is as immediately intuitive and satisfying. And very few puzzle games are as "immediate" as Tetris. One of my favourite aspects of it is that it never involves planning very hard ahead, despite the fact that any single mistake could cause problems many, many steps going forward.
It's really a game like nothing else.

1 hour ago, jonebone said:

You'd need to define great (most sales?  highest ratings? most influential? etc.) first.

Imagine a world where the stuff that sold the best was also the best thing 😄

1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

No kidding.  There is no excuse for SMB3 not having a battery save.  I remembering keeping my NES on all night long and being afraid that it would break. 😛

Especially for it being such a flagship product (and even had a major movie tie-in).

And for the perennial naysayers that love to chime in about how easy it is to beat SMB 3 in one sitting -- chew on this:

SMB3 has 90 levels, total.

Super Mario World only has 72 (where 24 of them have a secret exit).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

No kidding.  There is no excuse for SMB3 not having a battery save.  I remembering keeping my NES on all night long and being afraid that it would break. 😛

I've seen people bring up the warp whistle argument that it makes up for the lack of a save, but I don't like skipping over parts of the game, and it still doesn't solve the need to suspend the game and take it up again at a later time.

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Tetris probably has the widest reach, broadest audience across multiple generations, and is a genuinely influential game with respect to how people think about and interact with the world.

It may not be the "best" game ever created.

But it is almost certainly the most important that didn't get its start on a modified oscilloscope.

Lol, wtf? English man, english. Is that like a kaleidoscope?

Edited by BriGuy82
Cant spell

I agree that it would make sense for SMB3 to have a battery save, but the way it's designed perfectly gets around that. Consider me a "naysayer" in that context, the game doesn't suffer from not having it.

If a game isn't worth playing from the beginning every time you pop it in, then it definitely isn't worthy as a contender of the title "the greatest game ever created". SMB3 isn't a bad contender though.