IGNORED

What do you consider the greatest game ever created?

Nintegageo

The thing is the greatest game of all time changes with time as it specifically influences a certain generation.

You can tell the age of ppl based on whether they prefer FF games before or after FF7, for example.

Pong, PacMan, Asteroids set the bar for one gen.

SMB, Zelda, Sonic another.

FF7, MGS, SotN another.

Meanwhile PC's were redefining what games were with WoW, Myst and later Minecraft.

In conclusion, human beings are too diverse and too shaped by personal experience to definitely agree on the best game ever made, no more than you could get people to agree on what the best salad is. (Spoiler, it's taco)

On 12/6/2019 at 4:20 PM, captmorgandrinker said:

GTA III was pants-shittingly great when it came out.

Unfortunately, it didn't hold up all that well (especially since you can't swim).

Exactly. Amazing game that I played over and over when it was first released. I think it still holds up OK but the aiming, swimming, and a few other aspects they added really made SA that much better. My wife plays GTA and started with SA. I tried to get her to play 3 and she really didn't like it. Tony Hawk and Burnout are a few other series I can think of that were initially great games but the more refined sequels were even better. I think the same could be said about SMB vs SMB3 where the 3rd is absolutely awesome but has the same skeleton as SMB. 

On 12/6/2019 at 9:20 PM, captmorgandrinker said:

GTA III was pants-shittingly great when it came out.

Unfortunately, it didn't hold up all that well (especially since you can't swim).

I think it still holds up very well. You can even make an argument for it being the best of them, i personally don't but it's a very solid atmosphere with the NY setting and different criminal fractions and characters. Each new game expanded upon everything but if someones says he thinks 3 has better atmosphere than SA i can see a valid argument.

4 minutes ago, cartman said:

I think it still holds up very well. You can even make an argument for it being the best of them, i personally don't but it's a very solid atmosphere with the NY setting and different criminal fractions and characters. Each new game expanded upon everything but if someones says he thinks 3 has better atmosphere than SA i can see a valid argument.

I agree with you on the atmosphere.   I liked the mechanics of SA the best, but the setting of Vice City and III better.

33 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I agree with you on the atmosphere.   I liked the mechanics of SA the best, but the setting of Vice City and III better.

At least for people of our generation, I don't see how any iteration of GTA could top the setting and vibe of Vice City.

The mash up Miami Vice, Scarface, and a dozen other concepts from the 80's and layer it with voice work from Ray Liotta.

Maybe if they did an 80's Tokyo version that had a soundtrack from John Carpenter... but other than that...

EDIT:  that said, if they revisited the original GTA, where you had 3 or 4 distinct cities AND set it in the 80's... then you'd get some cool variety.

Vice City's version of Miami... NYC that looks straight out of The Warriors... The topography of Hollywood/LA overlaid with 80's supercars... 

Hell, do the Cannonball Run as a mission that ties together multiple cities.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, cartman said:

I can't get over the mind blowing feeling playing GTA3 for the first time, even if something like SA was so much more feature packed. It's like how BOTW is probably better than OOT, but I'm pretty much resigned to OOT being my favorite Zelda forever because how I felt playing it the first time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I can't get over the mind blowing feeling playing GTA3 for the first time, even if something like SA was so much more feature packed. It's like how BOTW is probably better than OOT, but I'm pretty much resigned to OOT being my favorite Zelda forever because how I felt playing it the first time.

It's understandable when the mind absorbs all of it for the first time it makes an impact especially the younger you are. Back then pretty much every game was leaving an impact it was a whole different immersion than it is now and i don't think it can ever be replicated but this is perhaps another topic.

5 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Exactly this. Of course every game that came after it is fundamentally better, but GTA3 was absolutely revolutionary. Games like that just didn't exist (at least not on consoles). It was a literal game changer. It rewrote expectations for what an action game could be.

Die hard NES fan here.  Have played almost the entire library to death but I still think Super Metroid on the SNES is one of the greatest video games ever created...aside from that I will go with the folks saying Tetris or maybe SMB1.  Been playing smb3 lately and while yeah it's good I get bored in some parts of the game and it feels redundant at times.

Greatest is (IMHO) far different than best.  (Although they can be the same.)  And you are never going to be able to get everyone to agree on either  unless you can get agreement on what genre is best - never going to happen.

I am going to suggest that the greatness is a function of outreach to the larger popular culture that a game had in comparison to other games of the period.

Since the NES and SNES occurred with little large scale competition (aside from the Sega Genesis - but Sega never had the resources (or maybe desire) to devote to PR the nintendo platforms became the home entertainment system as far as most people believed (whether they owned one or not).  

The two platforms also represented fairly large leaps in terms of the complexity and variety of games available (not to mention technical advances) that ensured their place in popular culture.

Given that I suspect one of the games from the following series deserves the title:

Donkey Kong

Legend of Zelda

Mario Brothers

Which one is just a guess.  I would go with Zelda since I heard the most about those in popular culture references long before I started gaming.  I would go with Link to the Past since it is much more sophisticated than the NES ones and was also much closer to a cross genre game (people still argue whether it is an RPG or not!).

1 hour ago, 8bitsupremacy said:

Die hard NES fan here.  Have played almost the entire library to death but I still think Super Metroid on the SNES is one of the greatest video games ever created...aside from that I will go with the folks saying Tetris or maybe SMB1.  Been playing smb3 lately and while yeah it's good I get bored in some parts of the game and it feels redundant at times.

At first glance I thought you said "Die Hard" on the NES was the greatest gane of all time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/10/2019 at 9:13 AM, captmorgandrinker said:

I always felt the atmosphere and depth of SA was best. I can agree with your wife @Andy_Bogomil about not being able to get into the older ones. I played and almost finished VC as a kid but after playing SA i just couldn’t go back, no matter how hard I tried. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Foochie776 said:

I always felt the atmosphere and depth of SA was best. I can agree with your wife @Andy_Bogomil about not being able to get into the older ones. I played and almost finished VC as a kid but after playing SA i just couldn’t go back, no matter how hard I tried. 

I played these games in sequence and still have a hard time playing 3 or VC. I do love VC's atmosphere and music the most; better than SA and the gangsta vibe but those few aspects male not as enjoyable. I kinda hate the map layout on VC too. 

On 12/7/2019 at 8:20 AM, Hammerfestus said:

SMB3.  There really is no need for battery save.  Perfect controls, perfect level design.  Improved on previous iterations in every way and set the standard for everything that came after.

While everything you mention after the bold is true, none of it negates the need for a battery save.  The length of the game alone is more than enough to justify a battery save.  

Warp whistles are great for creating short cuts, but they are not an alternative for battery saves.   

The lack of a battery save was a cheap way of cutting costs and nothing more.

• Like 3