IGNORED

First Game you ever got

Lago

Pokemon Blue for Game Boy Color. While my family did have games before that, I wouldn't say I 'owned' any of them. I had no say in what games my parents bought and played them because that's what we had. No idea how my parents decided what to get us, and somehow deciding Yo! Noid was worth owning. Pokemon was, however, the first game I remember actually wanting and asking my parents for. I had already seen a few episodes of the show and gotten the cards, but because we didn't have a Game Boy yet, it took a little longer before they bought me the game, alongside the system. 

• Like 2

My dad was into early computing so I remember him going to Atari meetups and having a toolbox filled with 51/2 floppy discs. Loads of games and software on hand, but I remember river raid for either 2600 or the 800xl computer standing out as a game we would play together (him introducing it to me as one of his favorites, and it quickly became mine too)

but the less fun answer is my first game specifically purchased for me was some sesame street atari game.

Edited by drxandy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

There are two types of gamers in my world--those who had a home console BEFORE the NES and those who had a console AFTER the NES.

I don't know why, but I just feel like it was such a huge turning point.  All of you guys saying something from the NES or later just don't know how well you had it.  For the rest of us, we had to stare at blocks, squint and imagine what what we were looking at was a human... no, wait, that's a hockey stick!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RH said:

There are two types of gamers in my world--those who had a home console BEFORE the NES and those who had a console AFTER the NES.

I don't know why, but I just feel like it was such a huge turning point.  All of you guys saying something from the NES or later just don't know how well you had it.  For the rest of us, we had to stare at blocks, squint and imagine what what we were looking at was a human... no, wait, that's a hockey stick!

Sometimes trying to figure out what to do in a game was part of the charm of it too, I never had access to instructions and some of the 2600 games are very ambiguous with what the goal is.

• Like 1

Sometime in the mid 80s after the big crash, my mom bought me an Atari 2600 at a yard sale. It was a good, cheap way to keep hyperactive little me entertained for hours. Some of the games I remember she picked up with it were Missile Command, Space Invaders, and Breakout. Little did she know this was the beginning of a lifelong addiction. Thanks Mom!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NES CONNOISSEUR said:

Which means you still have a CRT TV ?

27 inch RCA in the basement with a NES, SNES, N64, Wii, Genesis, PSX, PS2, Dreamcast, and Xbox hooked up to it. 

Just wish the wife would let me spend more time down there.

I found a 30 inch Sony Triniton during the last spring cleanup and hooked everything up to it and it worked for a couple days before it broke. I'm hoping to find another one this upcoming spring cleanup.

I got a Power Set for Christmas '89 and my sister got Mickey Mousecapades.

She was 5, so needless to say that game was enough to scare her off of gaming for many years.  (My dad and I worked together to beat it 2p)

First that I bought in the store was going to Toys R Us and finding Legend of Zelda.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2019 at 6:11 PM, MovieTom said:

First game I ever owned and was MY game and not my brother's was Dick Tracy for the Sega Genesis. I was 6. We had just traded in my brother's Master System to Funcoland for a used Genesis with Altered Beast in early 1991 and we then went to Target to see if they had any games. We were looking at everything and I noticed that a copy of Dick Tracy was mispriced at $5.99. Back then they used stickers on everything and I was so excited that I found screw-up. My dad convinced the manager to honor the sticker price and that's how I got my first game. 

You pioneered the concept of catching one slippin'!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

I got a Power Set for Christmas '89 and my sister got Mickey Mousecapades.

In June of 1989, I was about to turn 5. My family had a family reunion. My cousins brought their NES and my grandpa saw how obsessed I was with it. On the way home from the reunion, he stopped at Sears and bought a Power Set, bought my sister Mickey Mousecapades, and bought me Sesame Street 123. 

I still have it all, and I have a deep nostalgia for Mousecapades because of it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

In June of 1989, I was about to turn 5. My family had a family reunion. My cousins brought their NES and my grandpa saw how obsessed I was with it. On the way home from the reunion, he stopped at Sears and bought a Power Set, bought my sister Mickey Mousecapades, and bought me Sesame Street 123. 

I still have it all, and I have a deep nostalgia for Mousecapades because of it.

Was your sister similarly put off of gaming as a young kid due to the surprising difficulty level of the game? 

I have a lot of nostalgia for it, because it was a lot of fun 2P time with my dad, and was one of the only simultaneous 2P games I had.