IGNORED

First Game you ever got

Lago

Long, long ago I remember my Mom getting this ridiculously oversized package.  I want to say it was from Fingerhut but I'm not sure.  Anyway she had ordered it some time ago and it had a hodge podge of mostly forgettable junk in it.  It was two days before my birthday.  I was 6ish.  Why she was letting me go through the box in the first place is a mystery, all things considered.

Buried at the bottom of all this garbage is Kung-Fu for the NES!  My 6ish year old heart leapt for joy!  I couldn't believe it.  Excitement, adrenaline, a hug to mom, best birthday ever.  Except for one thing ... well two, my birthday wasn't for another two days.  An eternity.  AND the NES was purchased from a different place and hadn't made it to the house yet.  I believe she had to go out of town to pick it up, but, my memory on that is fuzzy. 

And there I was sitting, waiting, staring at Kung-Fu with no way to play it.  As a consolation she did let me open it to look at the instructions.  This made things worse.

Your turn!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The first game I ever had was Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 on Gamecube. I was in 3rd grade at the time. My friend had a gamecube and I always wanted one. When we went to Blockbuster, my Mom told me to pick out a gamecube game. I was confused because we didn't have one to play it. I think I caught on soon thereafter. Either that day or the next, I was greeted with a Gamecube system my Mom got from eBay. We soon bought a copy of that game once the rental was up. Great memories!

• Like 2

My dad's family and my mothers family both had NES's.  I don't think my dad ever got any other games for it besides the gyromite and duck hunt pack ins.  From what I remember my moms side had Adventures of Lolo, Ironsword, Top Gun, Streetcop (even though they didnt have the mat to play with) and maybe one or two more I can't remember.  My dad purchased a SNES "for me" when I was born ('91) obviously it was for himself. By the time I could use it we had Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Hal's Hole in One Golf, Tiny Toons, and one of the Bass Fishing games.  I guess all of these could be considered my first games as they were around from the time I was born.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First game I ever owned and was MY game and not my brother's was Dick Tracy for the Sega Genesis. I was 6. We had just traded in my brother's Master System to Funcoland for a used Genesis with Altered Beast in early 1991 and we then went to Target to see if they had any games. We were looking at everything and I noticed that a copy of Dick Tracy was mispriced at $5.99. Back then they used stickers on everything and I was so excited that I found screw-up. My dad convinced the manager to honor the sticker price and that's how I got my first game. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

To the best of what I can remember, it was one of the 1985 test launch Nintendo systems, and also got SMB and Hogan's Alley thrown in too, all snug under the Christmas tree that year.  I don't think I ever had one of those weird handhelds before that, I mean I did, but it was garage sale stuff found after 1985.

• Like 3

I'm really not sure what the first game that I truly owned was. My family had an Atari console and an NES in the late 80s, but I didn't own any of the games. I just remember playing Duck Hunt and SMB.

The first game I remember actually buying with my own money was Mortal Kombat on the Genesis which blew my mind. Get over here!

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted

First video game that ever entered our house when I was young was Super Mario Bros. for my Big Bro's birthday in February 1989 (along with the console). I remember having trouble passing the first goomba in the game for a few days (if not a couple of weeks), lol! But I was only 3 years old, so yeah.

First video game I purchased for myself was Luigi's Mansion (along with the Gamecube console, quite early after the launch IIRC) when I was 16 years old. Where I bought it there was a Simpson's Comic Book Guy type of clerk who was very intrigued on why I was purchasing a Gamecube instead of a Xbox or Playstation. To him, I was making a mistake and he wanted to save me or something.

I Tried to tell him simply ''Hey buddy, I like Nintendo's first party games in general and I'm really looking forward to the new Metroid game, so Gamecube is my console to go''. Apparently it wasn't a good enough reason for him and he went on about ''how many better games are released and coming for the others consoles, nobody is buying the Gamecube so far in here, bla bla nerdy talks blah''. I finally interrupted his speech saying something like ''man, that's the whole point, everybody around got a Playstation or a Xbox, so wherever I end up I can always play those consoles at my friends' places. So I'll take the responsibility of being the guy who has a Gamecube. Now can I pay my console at full retail price like the fool I am and go home playing it?''

We agreed on that and the rest history.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Attack In Space" by Tomy, a wind up Space Invaders style handheld.  Past that, maybe Jungle Hunt for the 2600?  My brother picked up a 2600 in sometime in late '84 or early '85 after we'd moved, so all the games that came along with the deal were his and any purchased after that point for the longest time were "family" versus being mine.  I recall picking up some odds and ends games from Big Lots shortly after they opened their first store in our area for $1 each out of my savings and Jungle Hunt being one of them.  First NES game would be a 3 way tie between Mega Man 2, Strider, and SMB/DH since I got all three the same Christmas that I got my NES.

• Like 2