IGNORED

First Game you ever got

Lago

2 hours ago, 8bitsupremacy said:

Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt pack-in with an Action Set...watched that sucker roll out on the conveyor belt from the magical back room of a Service Merchandise, it was glorious.

I recall similar magic with some purchased games.   Can't remember which store it was though.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It's very hard for me to remember, but I think the first game I ever bought on my own was Tetris for the NES. Of course, I had plenty of video games before that. I'm pretty sure the first game I've ever played is either Spyro 1 or Pac-Man. However, I'm just going by the first game I bought for my collection.

• Like 2

For consoles, it would be E.T. for the 2600.   My buddy had it and hated it so bad that he sold it to me for 5 bucks.   

Owned that well before we got our 7800 that Christmas.

For the Commodore, maybe Injured Engine?  It was a mechanic sim that my uncle bought us, and you could drive a motor until you blew it up and then had to diagnose it.

• Like 2

We didn't buy into the 2600, so a couple years after launch, my folks bought my sister and I an NES, but it was the budget pack w/out a game. From a video game standpoint, my Mom has never been one to go with the hot hand, and here's where it started...with copy of Q*Bert for NES. That was all I had to play for a while.

Oddly enough - although few to begin with - Q*Bert is the one game from my youth that I haven't re-bought...don't really know why.

• Like 2

Before I was born my Mom had an Atari 2600 with a small pile of games.  So I guess that would be it but I dont know exactly what she had.  When I was older I remember playing Pac Man, Frogger, Warlords, Volleyball, Jedi Arena, Barnstorming, and Kaboom.  It was hooked up to an old black and white TV in our basement and I didnt know Atari games were in color until much later in life.

I remember being like 4 or 5 and my parents getting a NES on layaway.  Came with a Mario/ Duck Hunt.   Probably in 91 or 92.  We slowly got secondhand games from garage sales and flea markets.  I remember DuckTales, Zelda, Super Mario Bros 3, Ferrari, and Metroid being ones we played a lot.  

First game that was just mine was Zelda 2.  I saved up allowance and had birthday money to get the $16.99 to buy it from Toys R Us.  It was the grey cart version and I still have the cart/manual.  I played it to death and it is still my all time favorite game.  Every year I play through it at least once and have 1 CC'ed it multiple times.  Such a great game. 

Other NES games we got new were a few Bible NES games at a local Family Christian store (best one is Spiritual Warfare.  I will defend that game to this day).  We got Yoshi by saving Kool Aid points and mailing them in for a game.  My mom got a job at Toys R Us in the late 90s and she got us StarTropics brand new in like 1998 or 1999 on clearance there.

Edited by LutherDestroysTheGond
  • Like 3

On 12/4/2019 at 12:31 AM, guillavoie said:

First video game that ever entered our house when I was young was Super Mario Bros. for my Big Bro's birthday in February 1989 (along with the console). I remember having trouble passing the first goomba in the game for a few days (if not a couple of weeks), lol! But I was only 3 years old, so yeah.

First video game I purchased for myself was Luigi's Mansion (along with the Gamecube console, quite early after the launch IIRC) when I was 16 years old. Where I bought it there was a Simpson's Comic Book Guy type of clerk who was very intrigued on why I was purchasing a Gamecube instead of a Xbox or Playstation. To him, I was making a mistake and he wanted to save me or something.

I Tried to tell him simply ''Hey buddy, I like Nintendo's first party games in general and I'm really looking forward to the new Metroid game, so Gamecube is my console to go''. Apparently it wasn't a good enough reason for him and he went on about ''how many better games are released and coming for the others consoles, nobody is buying the Gamecube so far in here, bla bla nerdy talks blah''. I finally interrupted his speech saying something like ''man, that's the whole point, everybody around got a Playstation or a Xbox, so wherever I end up I can always play those consoles at my friends' places. So I'll take the responsibility of being the guy who has a Gamecube. Now can I pay my console at full retail price like the fool I am and go home playing it?''

We agreed on that and the rest history.

My curiosity would be super satisfied to know the name of the shop you bought the GameCube in.

Pac-man, Megamania, Breakout, E.T. on the 2600, then centipede on the 5200. I mostly admired the artwork/box art and thought the characters of the games lived in the pins on the cartridges like tiny cells (Think of it like something from Wreck-it Ralph from today's era.)

I would say that the console that got me really into video games was the NES

• Like 2

Stretching the ol' brain matter here but the first game I ever got was Super Mario World packed in alongside the SNES console. Soon after got a Play It Loud yellow Game Boy with the Arcade Classics pack which had Missile Command/Asteroids on it,  from there I was set and picked up more titles. Pokemon R/B/Y, Super Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country and The Lost Vikings to name a few. First game I actually remember playing was Bubble Bobble and Mega Man(didn't get far) on the NES at a friends house, never actually owned those though.

Edited by Super Nintendo Chalmers
  • Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted

I wonder how much everyone's "first video game" influences their overall preferences and taste for games in general.

My first video game was one of those mid-2000s Plug-N-Play joysticks with classic Namco arcade games (Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Bosconian, etc.), and for whatever reason I still find myself most captivated by the gameplay and aesthetics of similar 80s arcade and console games (as opposed to more modern games, or even concurrent computer games).

-CasualCart

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I wonder how much everyone's "first video game" influences their overall preferences and taste for games in general.

My first video game was one of those mid-2000s Plug-N-Play joysticks with classic Namco arcade games (Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Bosconian, etc.), and for whatever reason I still find myself most captivated by the gameplay and aesthetics of similar 80s arcade and console games (as opposed to more modern games, or even concurrent computer games).

-CasualCart

Wow... how old are you, out of curiosity?

My first ever game was Carnival on the VCS, and I loved the hell out of it for a long time, until I got a NES; man, I couldn't throw my Atari in the closet fast enough after that...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My parents were very anti-videogame as I was growing up, so I didn't get a console until I was 14 and had a part-time job that generated enough cash for me to fund the purchase myself (Pro Tip: If you are 14, go to Iowa in the summer and detassel corn - it is worst job you will ever have, but so much money for a 14-year-old).  Anyway, it was 1994, and like many others on this list, it was the SNES Super Mario World pack-in (which also came with Mario All-Stars as a separate cart).  If we aren't counting pack-ins, then 4-5 months later I got Madden 95 and NHL 95 for Christmas...Good 'ol safe sports games - those couldn't possibly corrupt my brain, or so my parents thought...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CasualCart said:

-CasualCart

My friend got TMNT on the Nes as his first game. Hated it. Hasn't played a game since. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Growing up, I had some very close cousins, and our families would share NES games between us, basically like collectively owning them.

They got the NES first, I think I was 3 that Xmas, and they got SMB/DH pack in which was the first game I ever played. The following year we got our own NES with Mario 2 and Isolated Warrior, I think Xmas '90 that was. So those two games I consider my first games, although I ended up owning all the games me and my cousins collectively owned, including that very SMB/DH which I first played.

Never played Atari or anything earlier, to my recollection...

On 2/24/2021 at 3:54 AM, BouncekDeLemos said:

I  thought the characters of the games lived in the pins on the cartridges like tiny cells (Think of it like something from Wreck-it Ralph from today's era.)

I used to think that the horizontal "ridges" running the left hand side of the NES cart was where the game data was stored! 😄

2 hours ago, DarkTone said:

My friend got TMNT on the Nes as his first game. Hated it. Hasn't played a game since. 

Man, your friend sucks dude! 😛

• Like 2