IGNORED

Dunking on rookie collectors

9 minutes ago, RH said:

I like really clean games.  I definitely will remove price tags and stuff but I am getting to the point where that if I find a game with a rental label, I’d rather put it in the FS/FT pile rather than clean it off and put it on my shelf.  I may want sticker free games, but I appreciate the history and would rather pass it off to you guys who like those things.

Excited Season 2 GIF by The Office

3 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

What gets me is people removing blockbuster and rental store stickers. To each their own, but there's people that appreciate those too, look around before removing them!

Sad The Boys GIF

I feel personally attacked....🤣

Haha, but I understand what you mean about Rental Store stickers.... ESPECIALLY our "hometown" ones. That particular one someone had already removed the location of the blockbuster, and the stickers were ugly.... but I do have other carts where I've kept the rental store stickers, and I think it's awesome to have games from different "Mom & Pop" rental shops. (I keep them in a special spot in my collection so i know where they are 😅)

Edited by AirVillain

5 hours ago, RH said:

If someone is inquisitive, there’s a small chance you’re talking to a 10 year old that in 20 years could be as passionate about this stuff as you are today, but if you treat him like an idiot he’s not going to stick around long enough to probably ever get there.

Of course I agree with your post, but I just want to add that someone who is truly passionate about something in his heart is not going to up and quit just because someone he doesn't know from Adam was a dick to him; sure, he may go his own way and remove himself from the rest of the community, but if he actually loves NES (or whatever) he'll still be enjoying his hobby for years...

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

What gets me is people removing blockbuster and rental store stickers. To each their own, but there's people that appreciate those too, look around before removing them!

Oh man, I hate rental store/price stickers etc. I care about the history of Super Mario Bros 1. How it was created, who designed the levels, the music, and etc.  I don't care about the history of any one copy of SMB1. It's one of the reasons I absolutely despise provenance. I give negative shits about who held a game before me. Drives me insane, tbh. 

5 hours ago, RH said:

I mean, take even that “why no? Gold Zelda rare?” joke.  If it’s a really young kid, that could explain the bad grammar.  Annoying but let’s give it a pass to start.  However, you can give a canned answer of “because all original cartridges were gold, and a lot of people bought it, so it’s common but it does look cool.  The grey carts came out much later.  They aren’t rare but are less common.”

I mostly used the bad grammar to illustrate a point. Bad grammar can be irritating, so by making the thread name intentionally bad, you should see it as something you want to scroll past. Essentially it was meant to highlight the fact that if you don't like noobs, just ignore them.

1 hour ago, DarkKobold said:

Oh man, I hate rental store/price stickers etc. I care about the history of Super Mario Bros 1. How it was created, who designed the levels, the music, and etc.  I don't care about the history of any one copy of SMB1. It's one of the reasons I absolutely despise provenance. I give negative shits about who held a game before me. Drives me insane, tbh. 

It's about it showing a store that used to exist. I have a game that was used in some summer camp in central Florida. It's a glimpse of what used to be.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Of course I agree with your post, but I just want to add that someone who is truly passionate about something in his heart is not going to up and quit just because someone he doesn't know from Adam was a dick to him; sure, he may go his own way and remove himself from the rest of the community, but if he actually loves NES (or whatever) he'll still be enjoying his hobby for years...

Sure, but we need to be welcoming to new members. Otherwise the community grows stagnant. I mean, you guys are great and all, but, you know.

Plus, maybe he's just got the spark and could turn it into a real passion, but some douchebag killed his spark early on. We don't suddenly develop a passion full blown from day one. Well, maybe you do, but you're a weird exception. 😛

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Sure, but we need to be welcoming to new members. Otherwise the community grows stagnant. I mean, you guys are great and all, but, you know.

Plus, maybe he's just got the spark and could turn it into a real passion, but some douchebag killed his spark early on. We don't suddenly develop a passion full blown from day one. Well, maybe you do, but you're a weird exception. 😛

That was my thought.  Why would it start out as passion?  The first thing I bought when I discovered I could buy old Nintendo tapes on eBay was a copy of Dragon Warrior 2.  I’d casually looked for it whenever I encountered nes games for the past more than a decade.  It wasn’t a passion.  It was a dipping of toes.  The thing that drew me to NA was trying to find out how much the games I had were worth.  It grew into passion, and experience, and knowledge with time and “nurturing“.  It is a serious mistake for this community to begrudge new people their ignorance.  Though let’s be honest, there are plenty of people here who would be more than happy to lay into someone giving a rookie an undeserved hard time.  That being said, some good natured shit talking is fine and good for bonding or something.  

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted

I've removed so many stickers and labels on games that I couldn't even tell you how many.

I know that some people enjoy that sorta thing, but I also don't think anyone should be shamed or made to feel guilty if they remove store stickers on their carts.  A lot of game stores would put stickers in the worst possible spots (like right on the nes cart art label) which over time can actually damage the label especially depending on the adhesive used and type of sticker.  So when I was more into NES, I removed every single one.  All of them.  Sorry Mega Tank 🙂 hehe.

There are some exceptions to this in my mind, such as if there was a very special distribution chain for a certain game.  But if it's just a third party / rental store that added it after the fact, I don't care about it.

I'll also point out that one can very easily take a picture of the game with the label, and/or document whatever is desired about the old game store, while also still removing the sticker from the game 🙂

2 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

That was my thought.  Why would it start out as passion?  The first thing I bought when I discovered I could buy old Nintendo tapes on eBay was a copy of Dragon Warrior 2.  I’d casually looked for it whenever I encountered nes games for the past more than a decade.  It wasn’t a passion.  It was a dipping of toes.  The thing that drew me to NA was trying to find out how much the games I had were worth.  It grew into passion, and experience, and knowledge with time and “nurturing“.  It is a serious mistake for this community to begrudge new people their ignorance.  Though let’s be honest, there are plenty of people here who would be more than happy to lay into someone giving a rookie an undeserved hard time.  That being said, some good natured shit talking is fine and good for bonding or something.  

I never really understood this. I was always a gamer, never stopped, and the collecting was just a natural progression. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

F*** stickers.  Not in my house!

Some stickers I will remove, some I will keep. It really depends on what type of sticker and where it is located. The few that stick out 🤣 are my Top Loader with the local Game Xchange sticker on the bottom, and a Star Wars cartridge with another local game store on the side (one of those security stickers).

For those folks wanting to remove stickers, a hair dryer on low setting works magic but be careful!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DarkKobold said:

I mostly used the bad grammar to illustrate a point. Bad grammar can be irritating, so by making the thread name intentionally bad, you should see it as something you want to scroll past. Essentially it was meant to highlight the fact that if you don't like noobs, just ignore them.

half baked boo GIF

• Haha 3

I found NA one day because I was making 'custom' labels for games that were beat to shit in my collection. My first thread was about some of the labels I made and it didn't go over all that well (a number of members calling me out on why it was sacrilegious and how a heavily damaged label was still better than any new, non-authentic label). The one thing that saved me was I wasn't going for a 1-to-1 replica, but I learned all that from that thread, so it was a good learning experience and discussion. That was like 15 years ago and I'm still around.

One thing I realized over the years, is that the people who were usually nasty to new collectors, were typically just angry (or very opinionated) people who always seemed to be in the middle of controversy or arguments, even when it involved seasoned collectors. Even myself, I was quite critical (mainly of new games) and often negative online and it was other crabby people that made me realize no one wants to read/hear that shit, so I try to limit some of my negative opinions both online and off.

I also think people forget how much they learn and know when they are really into collecting. People on NA would often criticize people at swap meets or yard sales that didn't really know what they were talking about thinking that everyone involved in video games should know as much as them... seeing with "NA glasses" is how I used to think of it. You gotta start somewhere and a lot of people just want to play a few games that they had when they were younger or ask a question that would be obvious to someone in the collecting community. I'm not nearly as involved as I used to be, but rarely see any of that around here.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil
  • Like 8

I like stickers up to a point...when it's old rental stores putting stickers on their products (that were new at the time), I can appreciate that sticker as yet another connection to that era. But when it comes to modern stores slapping new stickers onto retro stuff with no regard for covering up the item, that's just a sign that they don't know what they're doing and don't give a shit:

2nda.jpg.c63783a69c8b09dcf97c39e57ea5e54f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, G-type said:

I like stickers up to a point...when it's old rental stores putting stickers on their products (that were new at the time), I can appreciate that sticker as yet another connection to that era. But when it comes to modern stores slapping new stickers onto retro stuff with no regard for covering up the item, that's just a sign that they don't know what they're doing and don't give a shit:

2nda.jpg.c63783a69c8b09dcf97c39e57ea5e54f.jpg

This particular sticker adds nothing to that manual. No game store name, location... nothing. Not only that, it's large and just obnoxious. The rental store stickers I like are these... not my pictures. I can give Blockbuster a pass though.

rentalkings1.png

img_5203.jpg

• Love 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/24/2024 at 8:25 PM, CT said:

Some stickers I will remove, some I will keep. It really depends on what type of sticker and where it is located. The few that stick out 🤣 are my Top Loader with the local Game Xchange sticker on the bottom, and a Star Wars cartridge with another local game store on the side (one of those security stickers).

For those folks wanting to remove stickers, a hair dryer on low setting works magic but be careful!

This is how I feel too, if the sticker isn't in an obnoxious place then I am fine keeping it, but stuff where it's covering large parts of the label or the insert I'm going to try and pull off.  

What really gets me, is crappy sticker removal attempts.  I got a Genesis game recently with no less than 3 different stickers on the cart label, and if the person had never tried to remove them before I would have pulled them off with it looking close to mint, but alas they had attempted it and ripped/lifted parts of the label already.  Came out very well every place I did removal, but the spots where the previous owner had tried to pick them off and ripped the label are a bit of an eyesore.  

I also use heat a lot of times, or lighter fluid to loosen solvent.  I actually use my hot air station on a very low setting with pretty good results, a hair dryer or space heater has worked as well though.