IGNORED

Dunking on rookie collectors

30 minutes ago, DarkKobold said:

Do NOT go to his new site,  instead go to pcenginefans.com, that's where the majority of the community went. If your IP Address is from Utah, you'll get a face full of bestiality if you visit his site, specifically because he hates me so much. His particular clone site of the original PCEngineFX is dead because he alienated so much of the community. In fact, most of the long time community members have their own insane ranting screed on that site. 

Lol this is just ridiculous when I read it.  It's kind of crazy that the rouge admin took an entire copy of the forum database on the sly to try and re-create it.  I know that PCEngineFans.com was rebuilt from the existing posts which people had archived though.

Regarding newbies, I wouldn't say I actively go out of my way to "dunk" on the, but getting the same first 5 posts over and over can get tiring. Maybe it's because I come from the research mindset where if I want to learn about system I do my own research instead of just asking a random question.  But in an established community, sometimes people start to get a bit cliquish and catty when you read basically the same post asking the same questions again and again again.... 

Most forums I join, I lurk for awhile to get a feel of the community before even posting.  I'd still be posting on Sega-16 if they could fix their SSL/DNS weirdness.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Gentlegamer said:

Is Melf just abandoning the forum?

No, from my understanding the SSL for the domain or something is not correct, so the only way people could visit the forums is if they used the IP address, which is pretty sketchy so I stopped going.

If he passed the hat for donations to fix it I would gladly chip in $50 or something to help myself.  Sega-16 along with DigitalPress are like the first forums I ever really visited.  Don't want to see them disappear. 😞

This thread should be cleaned up imo. I don't think the whole TG16 rant was necessary, any sort of drama like that (or the NA drama) should be left in the past. At the end of the day, it's just one side of the story being shown.

23 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

This thread should be cleaned up imo. I don't think the whole TG16 rant was necessary, any sort of drama like that (or the NA drama) should be left in the past. At the end of the day, it's just one side of the story being shown.

So like every single thread gets derailed into the abyss but this one has to be cleaned up?

🧐

• Haha 3

Moderator · Posted

I don’t know why I’m getting reports about this one. Stop pinging mods because you disagree with someone.

This thread isn’t a flame war yet, but because you’ve deliberately pulled the staff in, anyone who does go over the line gets a warning, or if you’re one of the people who’s been told you’re on your last chance, behave.

Everyone take a breath and try and engage in respectful discourse. I swear it used to exist somewhere.

• Like 3

People forget that the internet is a terrible place full of goblins who just wanna put people down. Community is everything, even to a fault. It's up to a newcomer to find a community that isn't terrible. Unfortunately reddit can be a very loud place, it's better to find the small communities in my opinion.

Regarding new folk themselves, it can be a little frustrating to feild a question that would be the first result in a google search, but being nice and helping is how you integrate new people in. More importantly it gets new folk into the hobby of which might have something positive to bring in. You won't know until you find out. Basically, give people the benefit of the doubt. This whole idea of gatekeeping is incredibly toxic.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 3/20/2024 at 9:17 PM, DefaultGen said:

I’ve backed away from most collecting communities (just cutting back internet usage in general) but I don’t see much negativity towards other collectors except on Reddit where people circle like wolves if you stray outside the dank Goodwill pickups and only collecting to play hivemind.

The top post right now is a guy who got sent the wrong game from Wata and literally half the comments are just calling OP an idiot, lol. Terrible place.

The timing on this post is beautiful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting/comments/1bkydpr/which_one_of_you_bid_on_this/

I swear the /r/gamecollecting subreddit should be called /r/whiningaboutsealedgames. I remember when I joined NA, I thought all the sealed game collecting was dumb... But I ignored it. Now, with /r/gc/, every single post whining about the price of sealed games goes straight to the top, despite the fact that it has no effect on the price of a beat-up loose copy of Earthbound. 

I get it, everyone is frustrated with rising prices, but using WATA as a whipping boy for the entire video game collectors market is beyond absurd. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

As it relates again to the 'dunking on newbie's' concept and related issues, I guess I just don't understand the value and joy some people get in putting other people down and belittling them.  Bad *behavior* is one thing, but sometimes I see hate and vitriol stemming from just legitimately different opinions about something where there is no right or wrong.  

If someone joins the collecting world and only wants to buy games that are priced at exactly $77.77 and nothing else - I mean, it's a bit strange and yes they are limiting themselves in many ways, but I mean... is it worth anyone getting super worked up and hateful about?  I don't think so, and yet, something even less strict than that will come about and people will throw a hissy fit and absolutely bash someone.

My personal solution to many of these negativity problems is just to avoid any places that I know are just irreconcilably toxic to the point I can't change the culture.  Seeing the dumpster fire at places can be entertaining for a short while, but then after that it is just sad and disappointing.

I will say, that I know VGS isn't perfect, but after hearing about some of these other places, it really makes me feel a lot better about what we are trying to do here, hah!! 🙂

• Agree 1

Yeah in the 90s to aughts many forums came with policies to discourage trolling or useless posting to protect the community from discussions that had been hashed out a lot already.  Minimum post count to start a new thread (replies were fine), and/or a wait period as well.  

I think now a person has so many options to find content (for good or for ill) that forum etiquette is no longer a thing in many places.  I don't think any person is intentionally trying to discourage a new participant, but the disposability of discussion with platforms like Facebook or Twitter makes really good conversations much harder to have.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spacepup said:

As it relates again to the 'dunking on newbie's' concept and related issues, I guess I just don't understand the value and joy some people get in putting other people down and belittling them.  Bad *behavior* is one thing, but sometimes I see hate and vitriol stemming from just legitimately different opinions about something where there is no right or wrong.  

I don't think it's necessarily a matter of people having fun dunking noobs, rather it's a matter of people being sick of dealing with idiots, though sadly we live in an age where everyone prefers to have someone take them by the hand rather than do some research, take a look around, explore, and then ask.

30 minutes ago, xelement5x said:

I think now a person has so many options to find content (for good or for ill) that forum etiquette is no longer a thing in many places.  I don't think any person is intentionally trying to discourage a new participant, but the disposability of discussion with platforms like Facebook or Twitter makes really good conversations much harder to have.

I honestly think it's wrong to think anything is different from a decade ago, other than dwindling attendance at forums. Flame wars were very much a thing since forums existed.  The concept of Eternal September for hating on newbies has been around since 1993. Forums are very much a result of their moderation - For example, the SomethingAwful forums were insanely strict on any sort of negativity. The forums were massively popular, so for anyone to be noticed, they'd have to post a lot and most of it was in this sacchrine sweet, overly flowery posting style. It was gross to read, tbh, because it was clearly complimentary for the sake of attention to the one posting it, not to the content they were responding to. 

Administrator · Posted
21 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I don't think it's necessarily a matter of people having fun dunking noobs, rather it's a matter of people being sick of dealing with idiots, though sadly we live in an age where everyone prefers to have someone take them by the hand rather than do some research, take a look around, explore, and then ask.

I get that to a degree, but I guess I prefer to deal with that scenario in a different way - and it's pretty easy to do so without being rude, hateful, and belittling others.

It's pretty easy to ignore someone if it doesn't seem like a conversation is going to be constructive.  Or, alternatively, it's easy to have a blunt conversation without being overly hostile.  

For example, if some new person joins a community and they are overly enthusiastic but just very ignorant of the norms, there are ways to deal with that without being super negative.

I've personally had the experience of trying to join a community, not knowing much about things, but with a genuine interest to learn, and have been completely overwhelmed with negativity to the point of leaving - that's not really fun for anyone to deal with and in my experience, I don't feel I was an idiot but I was certainly ignorant of the norms there.  

Then I've joined other places where I didn't really know much, but people were very eager to help me learn and welcome me.

Now, if someone is new and is just being absolutely belligerent, obstinate, and negative, that's an entirely different thing than what I'm talking about really.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I get that to a degree, but I guess I prefer to deal with that scenario in a different way - and it's pretty easy to do so without being rude, hateful, and belittling others.

It's pretty easy to ignore someone if it doesn't seem like a conversation is going to be constructive.  Or, alternatively, it's easy to have a blunt conversation without being overly hostile.  

For example, if some new person joins a community and they are overly enthusiastic but just very ignorant of the norms, there are ways to deal with that without being super negative.

I've personally had the experience of trying to join a community, not knowing much about things, but with a genuine interest to learn, and have been completely overwhelmed with negativity to the point of leaving - that's not really fun for anyone to deal with and in my experience, I don't feel I was an idiot but I was certainly ignorant of the norms there.  

Then I've joined other places where I didn't really know much, but people were very eager to help me learn and welcome me.

Now, if someone is new and is just being absolutely belligerent, obstinate, and negative, that's an entirely different thing than what I'm talking about really.

While I do agree with your spirit here, this sort of utopian environment is impossible to achieve, especially when one considers such factors as native language / culture, attitude, personality type, and even the day jobs of other members. Anyone that has done a stint of retail surely knows what I'm talking about, i.e. when the customer can't even help themselves at all...and I'm not talking about elderly people or children, either.

Simply put, if you've been dealing with that sort of behavior all day, you likely don't want to be dealing with it in your free time as well.

On the other hand, folks who are new or inexperienced don't have to be grating either, but it all comes down to attitude, likeability, etc. Go do some research first, don't act like you're an expert or have some crazy hot take when you don't or aren't, etc. It goes a long way.

Administrator · Posted

I personally will choose to be more patient if the issue is a lack of knowledge and experience.  If it is a *behavior* issue then I have less patience.

But, the beauty of life is that we can all handle things differently and how we see fit and how we want to handle.  

3 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I personally will choose to be more patient if the issue is a lack of knowledge and experience.  If it is a *behavior* issue then I have less patience.

But, the beauty of life is that we can all handle things differently and how we see fit and how we want to handle.  

We should not be quick to fault a person for seemingly not having patience, when they could simply just be spent by now, whilst you're fresh, for whatever reason. 

That said, I do agree with you that it is the beauty of life when we are so allowed to have the ability and option of choice. 

Administrator · Posted

I'll fault a person for not having patience if they are being overly rude or a jerk to someone when it is unnecessary.  If they are just being a bit short are not overly friendly for their own reasons, then I don't really care.

As it relates to VGS, ultimately all I care about is that we are overall a welcoming community that doesn't gatekeep and that we are place where lots of people from different backgrounds can hang out and talk about a shared interest.  At the end of the day, that is all this is about.  

I think we are doing ok there, so I'm not worried.  

34 minutes ago, spacepup said:

As it relates to VGS, ultimately all I care about is that we are overall a welcoming community that doesn't gatekeep and that we are place where lots of people from different backgrounds can hang out and talk about a shared interest.  

We need some official greeting rituals!