IGNORED

Movie Debate #148: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Rate it  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

• The title was changed to Movie Debate #148: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

10. Definitely one of my favourite movies of all time. If people are looking for an easier entry point into Charlie Kaufman films, I think this is one of the easier ones.

Michel Gondry did an excellent job directing this and bringing Charlie’s idea to life.

An amazing cast and one of Jim Carrey’s best dramatic performances imo.

• Like 1

I’d rate it an 8.49, but if you asked me a couple years after my wife and I were married, I think we’d both rate it a 10. We identified with Joel and Clem a lot, and our daughter’s middle name is named after Clementine.

But time has marched on, we have matured, so has our relationship and we’ve worked through a lot of problems. I still can enjoy the film but I can’t give it a 9 but something more than an 8 feels right too.

I do love this movie dearly, and watched it just a few weeks ago on UHD.  I had to give it an 8, though I wouldn't fault anyone for rating it higher or lower.  Upon rewatching, I found the parts of Joel's session a bit unbelievable - with the young crew drinking and dancing on the bed.  I understand it was necessary for that part of the plot, but it was a bit silly.  That said, it's great seeing Kirsten Dunst in her panties and Kate Winslet is just beautiful throughout the movie.

Couldn't really decide between 9 or 10, but went with a 10 just for the purpose of this poll. 

It's not a movie that I often think of when deciding my favourite movies - but it really is amazing, and feels like the sort of movie made just for me. Its funny, emotional, and the deep dive it does into the concept of what a memory is, and how it affects your perception of reality, is just incredibly fascinating. 

• Like 1

I was watching something on television in 2005 and got too busy to realise the credits had finished and something new started. I picked up the remote to turn off the television so I could go to bed and saw Jim Carrey's name. I held the remote for a minute but just couldn't press the power button. This movie was so incredibly amazing I ended up sitting there well into the am and being tired at work the next day. I absolutely loved this movie and when someone asks me my top 10 favourites of all time, this would be around number 5. I had never heard of this movie before that night.

I rated it a 10.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

wow, there's a lot of high scores being posted here. i watched it when it was fairly new, so ~20 years ago (!?!) but i found it quite boring. won't give it a rating since i don't remember anything about it really. Maybe i was just in the wrong mindset? I definitely remember being very disappointed and bored.

This movie also has my favourite quote from Alexander Pope:

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.

And another from Nietzsche:

Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

This movie also has my favourite quote from Alexander Pope:

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.

And another from Nietzsche:

Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.

You mean Pope Alexander?  Lol.

That said, something made me think about this film a few weeks ago and I realized that I think Kirsten Dunst character kept getting Alexander Pope's name wrong for a reason and it wasn't just a quirk of the character.  For those who've seen this...

Spoiler

...recall she'd supposedly had one, if not multiple affairs with the guy who ran the company and he had erased her brain.  I don't know for sure, but considering her love for old quotes, I'm think it was showing how her brain had been screwed up and if an Alexander Pope quote was associated with the owner of the company, her mind couldn't quite reconcile the re-learning of the quote after each scrubbing of the mind.

Maybe this is a stretch, but as a small detail as part of the character, I could see it being a small tale/foreshadow that her mind had been affected.

12 minutes ago, RH said:

You mean Pope Alexander?  Lol.

That said, something made me think about this film a few weeks ago and I realized that I think Kirsten Dunst character kept getting Alexander Pope's name wrong for a reason and it wasn't just a quirk of the character.  For those who've seen this...

Reveal hidden contents

...recall she'd supposedly had one, if not multiple affairs with the guy who ran the company and he had erased her brain.  I don't know for sure, but considering her love for old quotes, I'm think it was showing how her brain had been screwed up and if an Alexander Pope quote was associated with the owner of the company, her mind couldn't quite reconcile the re-learning of the quote after each scrubbing of the mind.

Maybe this is a stretch, but as a small detail as part of the character, I could see it being a small tale/foreshadow that her mind had been affected.

Yeah pretty sure they were trying to imply that. At least that’s what I always thought.