IGNORED

How big is your collection in 2024??

12 hours ago, DarkKobold said:

I almost see my collection as different - I can't imagine someone "knowing me" but also trying to hide what I consider a huge part of my life.

So in short, I do care what people think, because it's a good judge of whether or not I want them in my life. 

I don't think anyone is trying to hide their collections from the lives of their friends, colleagues, lovers, etc. - that would be incredibly dishonest imo, especially at the age that most of us are, where we should be secure enough about ourselves not to care what others think of such idiosyncrasies as these; however, my point is that I personally don't want to be defined by my gaming collection, no more than a stripper wants to be defined by his or her job, swingers by their hobby, etc. The people who should know about it know about it, those who wouldn't care about it have no need to know about it, and those that are on a more intimate level yet don't care about it in particular, know about it, but don't need it thrust in their face anymore than is necessary. Then again, although I do consider these old games to be a large part of my life, it's definitely not the essence of me as a person.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, benstylus said:

Right now at about 2200 physical and 1700 digital games.

I help run a local convention with a large videogame room though so it's not all stuff I bought for me.

Ya know, I never even considered digital but that is definitely something I wanna keep track of down the line.

• Like 1

I track digital games in my spreadsheet, but I don't include them in my total count.  I want to say my digital count is somewhere around 375.  I don't bother counting my ROM or ISO files.  I some several terabytes of compressed ROM and ISO files, and there is no way I'm going to bother counting and cataloging those.  They are sorted by their respective consoles, and that is all I need.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I don't think anyone is trying to hide their collections from the lives of their friends, colleagues, lovers, etc. - that would be incredibly dishonest imo, especially at the age that most of us are, where we should be secure enough about ourselves not to care what others think of such idiosyncrasies as these; however, my point is that I personally don't want to be defined by my gaming collection, no more than a stripper wants to be defined by his or her job, swingers by their hobby, etc. The people who should know about it know about it, those who wouldn't care about it have no need to know about it, and those that are on a more intimate level yet don't care about it in particular, know about it, but don't need it thrust in their face anymore than is necessary. Then again, although I do consider these old games to be a large part of my life, it's definitely not the essence of me as a person.

If they're in my house.... we're already at a level of intimacy that they should know who I am. I don't walk around with a shirt on that says how many video games are in my collection.  And I'm 100% happy with people seeing my game collection as a big part of my personality. Not the only part, but a big part. 

I find it odd that both your references are about sex. Also, if you've ever met a swinger, you know that the first thing out of their mouth is about them swinging. Every swinger I've ever met defines themselves by their hobby. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, DarkKobold said:

And I'm 100% happy with people seeing my game collection as a big part of my personality. Not the only part, but a big part. 

That's a difference then on my end. Collecting video games isn't part of my personality. It's just something I enjoy in my spare time. I would be who I am w.o collecting video games. I read about politics and EVs / cars all the time but I don't make those a part my personality either. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

That's a difference then on my end. Collecting video games isn't part of my personality. It's just something I enjoy in my spare time. I would be who I am w.o collecting video games. I read about politics and EVs / cars all the time but I don't make those a part my personality either. 

Yup! And there's nothing wrong with either side, imo

Also, I guess it's important to say what it means for something to be "part of your personality." For me, it's because one of my friends group is all retro game collectors, it's what we enjoy talking about. One of the last two girls I seriously dated was a retro collector. When I host get-togethers, it's centered around retro games and retro gamers. When we plan friend vacations, we go to conventions like PRGE or Game On Expo. When we got out on the town, it's either to an arcade bar or to go game hunting at local game stores. 

In reality, a personality is more about introvert/extrovert kind of measures, game collecting isn't part of the myers brigg test, lol. But I feel that definition helps explain why I call it part of my personality. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, DarkKobold said:

Yup! And there's nothing wrong with either side, imo

Also, I guess it's important to say what it means for something to be "part of your personality." For me, it's because one of my friends group is all retro game collectors, it's what we enjoy talking about. One of the last two girls I seriously dated was a retro collector. When I host get-togethers, it's centered around retro games and retro gamers. When we plan friend vacations, we go to conventions like PRGE or Game On Expo. When we got out on the town, it's either to an arcade bar or to go game hunting at local game stores. 

In reality, a personality is more about introvert/extrovert kind of measures, game collecting isn't part of the myers brigg test, lol. But I feel that definition helps explain why I call it part of my personality. 

I don't think I'd call that a personality, tbh, everything you mentioned there are all things I do with my friends when we get together, lol.

Just saying that just because I don't have a Super Mario tattoo on my face doesn't mean that I've got an issue with others knowing about my collection 😛

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Do it now.

I'll do it if you get a matching one, only with Luigi. Then when we meet up for our once every ten years hangouts, people can think we're reincarnated versions of the Mario Bros.

• Love 1

20 hours ago, drxandy said:

Ya know, I never even considered digital but that is definitely something I wanna keep track of down the line.

It was a good experience totaling everything up.   I'm sure there are folks with 10000 games on steam alone, I only have a couple dozen there. 

I also added the games on the NES Mini, Genesis Mini, etc. as digital games so any Mini consoles are inflating my numbers a bit. 

• Like 5

Graphics Team · Posted

Interesting to hear these different opinions on how heavily our gaming hobby weighs into our identities.

My classic gaming, my art, and my faith are pretty much the core facets that define who I am. It used to bother me that I had such a "nerdy" hobby, but I've since embraced it haha.

[T-Pac]

• Like 2

I also find it interesting to see how people identify with their collections.  I personally don't think it defines me, but I don't have an issue with other people knowing what I have.  On one side, it's sometimes annoying to have to try and justify why I enjoy it (you should never have to justify your hobbies assuming you can afford to do them), so I can understand why some people don't make their collections public.  However, I've also ran into times when people have given me free stuff because they don't want it, they don't want to bother trying to sell it, and they know I would be interested in it.  So it can be beneficial to be known as that "local video game guy."

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted

I think for me, rather than looking for reasons why gaming isn't part of my identity, I've embraced the fact that video gaming has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember.  I wouldn't say that my collection of material items is part of my identity - but video gaming in general, is and has always been a decent part of my life.  Not the ONLY part, or the most important part, but definitely part of who I am.

I think the key difference, or the piece I'd want to expand on, is that it isn't just the physical games.  But the shared experience of gaming, the relationships I've built through a shared interest, the friends I've made, the impact I've made - I mean, all of these I can attribute to my interest and participation in video gaming in some form. 

I think about Gloves' Extra Life events and the fact that we've made a difference.  I think about other charity events like the recent AGDQ I contributed to, where a love of gaming brought people together to raise 2.5 MILLION dollars to help fight cancer.  Or the NES Spectrum Marathon, which has raised over $20,000 for autism awareness.

These are just a fraction of the different events and ways that gaming has made a positive impact on the world, in addition to just the direct entertainment value.

I don't really think my collection or gaming "defines" me, but at the same time, video gaming in some form, has been an interest of mine, and something I've spent a decent amount of time enjoying, for over 30 years, so I'd be lying to myself if I said it wasn't some 'part' of me at least.  

I think the key, like anything else, is remembering that there are always things that are more important than playing or collecting video games, and of course I haven't forgotten that.  Making a positive impact on the world and those around you, being good to others, supporting and fighting for what you care about, strengthening relationships, and so many many many other things.  As long as people don't forget what is TRULY important, that it's perfectly fine for video games to be a huge part of their lives.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Ha, I discovered that I was not only looking at an outdated copy of my spreadsheet, but a recent change had caused the last (alphabetically) two systems, Xbox and Xbox360, to be omitted entirely from the summary page.  The actual total is 10,956, which still omits a bunch of computer stuff as well as variants for some consoles.

Breakdown:

3DO                        166
Action Max                4
Amiga CD32/CDTV            14
Atari 2600                 621
Atari 2600 Imports/Homebrews        179
Atari 5200                 71
Atari 7800                68
Atari Jaguar            57
Atari Lynx                 93
Bally Astrocade          32
CD-I                    205
Colecovision              147
Emerson Arcadia         34
Entex Select-A-Game        1
Fairchild Channel F        26
GCE Vectrex             50
Intellivision            132
MB Microvision            13
Memorex VIS                45
Neo-Geo MVS                6
Neo-Geo Pocket Color      50
Nintendo 64                298
Nintendo Famicom        56
Nintendo GameBoy        403
Nintendo GameCube        328
Nintendo GBA/DS/3DS        591
Nintendo NES            765
Nintendo Switch            5
Nintendo Super NES        735
Nintendo Virtual Boy    15
Nintendo Wii            372
Nintendo WiiU            166
Odyssey2                 74
Playstation                714
Playstation2            547
RCA Studio II            11
Sega 32X                40
Sega CD                    145
Sega Dreamcast            266
Sega Game Gear            304
Sega Genesis            713
Sega MegaDrive            104
Sega Pico                20
Sega Saturn                259
Sega SMS                162
TG-16                    100
Tiger Game.com            20
Tiger R-Zone            11
VideoBrain                1
Watara Supervision        40
Wonderswan              1
Xbox                    368
Xbox 360                147

Computers (only cartridges counted):       
Atari 400/800…          250
CoCo                    109
Commodore 16/+4            8
Commodore 64            328
Commodore VIC20            178
IBM PC jr.                15
Mattel Aquarius         14
MSX                     1
TI-99/4                 230
Timex Sinclair 2068        5
Tomy Tutor                28

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

Somewhere around 5-600 games. I mostly hunt down fun looking games I intend to actually play and hopefully enjoy. Mostly JRPGs, action/platformers, party style games, fighting games, and puzzlers. I also hunt down nintendo published titles, but who doesn't these days? Mostly GameCube, Wii, Wii-U, PS3, and PS2, with a smattering of other systems mixed in. I have a very small handful of carts. Most cart games I stream on Switch Online or I play on various compilation disks or emulate.

ABLVV85POKg8GtyEyqvdMSjMLv8a4YZQ4hXwmVOsABLVV87OK8pG-UhH-3gKzwuOCal_uktizcTMilaQABLVV865V1o7ifrAZqr420ROrm7EhUraU-sBmEKeABLVV85awp_d3rNzm5KjXtxCg-jihMd-PM3Hr6TbABLVV849zNM_H3UWW_7jtPSwPyBRtK0Y4bGV632W

I haven't tallied it up in awhile, or taken new pictures in awhile, but I planned to solidify everything this year sometime, so old pics and semi current data will have to do 😛

Intellivision: 87

Colecovision: 73

Atari 2600: 181

Atari 5200: 58

Atari Lynx: 45

Atari 7800: 42

Atari XEGS: 32

Jaguar: 46

Jaguar CD: 14 (Full set)

NES: 359

GB: 324

SNES: 323

VB: 14 (Full set)

N64: 160

GBC: 243

GBA: 496

GCN: 146

DS: 766

Wii: 487

3DS: 307 (4203)

Wii U: 119

Switch : 800 (Estimate, probably more)

Sega Master System: 83

Sega Genesis: 361

Game Gear: 173

Sega CD: 89

Sega Pico: 20 (Full set)

32X: 26

Saturn: 154

Dreamcast: 164

Philips Cdi: 24

NGPC: 32 (Full set)

N-Gage: 54 (Full set)

Game.com: 21 (Full set)

Turbografx/CD/Super CD: 109

3D0: 94

PS1: 540

PS2: 572

PSP: 325

PS3: 276

Vita: 302

PS4: 600 (Estimate)

PS5: 50 (Estimate)

Xbox: 446

360: 606

Xbox One: 175 (Estimate)

Series X: 10

PC: 15

Total: 10443 (estimate, but well over 10,000)

• Like 2
  • Wow! 3
  • Love 2

Interesting topic. Any metric, eh?

I measure my collection in "awesomeness for me". So that will be the metric I will be using.

Right now I'm sitting at about a 95% "awesomeness". There's still 2-3... Actually, probably like 5-10 games/things that I'd want to add to my collection to make it "perfect", but I'm pretty much there.

Of course there's probably stuff out there that I haven't even considered yet, but I'm not taking that into account right now.

Just grateful for what I have, really.

Very well said by @spacepup . Inspiring words. 😎👍💞

On 1/23/2024 at 12:46 AM, RpgCollector said:

Atari 2600 - 425

On 1/21/2024 at 12:53 PM, RpgCollector said:

Just need each of you to add your full address and alarm code please. I will come and verify the collections while no one is home. I need silence to concentrate. 

1) 425 Atari 2600 games? DAYUM! That might be a shelf filler, so I might agree with your wife to sell with that one. 😱

2) You forgot the most important part... your full address/alarm code, etc. Please reply with that information and we can verify these numbers for you. Just let us know next time you're away for the weekend and we can take care of all the number crunching! 😆

15 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

ABLVV849zNM_H3UWW_7jtPSwPyBRtK0Y4bGV632W

My goodness! Those are some healthy numbers. Heck of a set-up too! 👏

But... the pool table.... can you actually play it? I've got long arms and don't think I could fit, haha.

Plus I wouldn't want to smash anything behind me with the pool cue... or what if a ball goes jumping? Haha... I'm not great at pool ssssssooooo.... maybe that's on me. 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Interesting topic. Any metric, eh?

I measure my collection in "awesomeness for me". So that will be the metric I will be using.

Right now I'm sitting at about a 95% "awesomeness". There's still 2-3... Actually, probably like 5-10 games/things that I'd want to add to my collection to make it "perfect", but I'm pretty much there.

Of course there's probably stuff out there that I haven't even considered yet, but I'm not taking that into account right now.

Just grateful for what I have, really.

Very well said by @spacepup . Inspiring words. 😎👍💞

1) 425 Atari 2600 games? DAYUM! That might be a shelf filler, so I might agree with your wife to sell with that one. 😱

2) You forgot the most important part... your full address/alarm code, etc. Please reply with that information and we can verify these numbers for you. Just let us know next time you're away for the weekend and we can take care of all the number crunching! 😆

My goodness! Those are some healthy numbers. Heck of a set-up too! 👏

But... the pool table.... can you actually play it? I've got long arms and don't think I could fit, haha.

Plus I wouldn't want to smash anything behind me with the pool cue... or what if a ball goes jumping? Haha... I'm not great at pool ssssssooooo.... maybe that's on me. 😅

You're limited to using short sticks, but to be fair it kind of always was that way since right behind those cabinets were windows. This just came with the house and I worked around it, but we do have people play from time to time. Not drunk people, and not kids, but people who understand not to be stupid 🤔

Edited by goldenpp72
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

You're limited to using short sticks, but to be fair it kind of always was that way since right behind those cabinets were windows. This just came with the house and I worked around it, but we do have people play from time to time. Not drunk people, and not kids, but people who understand not to be stupid 🤔

I can’t imagine you going full blast with the pool shots while those glass cabinets are there! 😱

I’m so impressed with the setup rather than the numbers. Absolutely gorgeous!

52 minutes ago, GPX said:

I can’t imagine you going full blast with the pool shots while those glass cabinets are there! 😱

I’m so impressed with the setup rather than the numbers. Absolutely gorgeous!

Unfortunately my setup pictures are kind of a mess since they take place over many different years. I haven't committed to redoing the whole room in one shot since it's been ever changing, but I think in a few months I'm expecting my favorite character to finally get a figure delivered. If so I think that will motivate me to tighten everything up and get it sparkly again, so I'm hoping to do a nice up to date room tour in the first half of the year since from that point the modifications will be much more subtle. 

I do enjoy looking at the different years for the setup though, a lot of evolution over the course of a decade, especially since I moved once. Maybe one day I can make an elaborate historical setup post in the show off subforum 😛

Also those cabinets are open face as it were, so the damage would be to the figures rather than glass, I have wanted to consider some kind of strong acrylic shielding for them, but unfortunately many of the figures stick out a bit from the displays, so I'm not entirely sure how to approach that. Otherwise I have considered removing the pool table in favor of more display area, but again, always a WIP.

Smaller by the day.  I've already turned a corner mentally with my collection as I approach 40 in the near future and know I don't want to take it all with me.  I'll always collect in some capacity but I don't need thousands of games.  I'm not sure where I'll end up, but a nice number to shoot for would be about 500-750 various items to me.  That's a much more manageable number that would be my goal.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Gameye tracking with 163 graded games, and I have about 40-50 cib hanging around in various places (need to consolidate those).

very happy with the amount I have, especially as I begin storing them in boxes as prep for remodeling the house.

Edited by inasuma
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

Gotcha. Logical.

You see... there's my problem. I've really only played pool while I was drunk. 😆

Your plans sound neat, whichever direction you decide to go.