IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Finals!

BeaIank

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

I've dealt with some annoying enemies but the swooping bats take the cake. I don't know how to consistently deal with the swooping without getting killed.

Go back and jump on top of the barrel to the left of the first one that appears to take care of it before it swoops, then shoot the second one just as it starts diving at you...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Rolling Thunder - Da Boyds - 17,900

Gold Medal Challenge:

100K - 7.77

Javelin - 107M68

Triple Jump - 20M01

Weight Lifting - 260KG

In the interest of Fair Play / Full Disclosure and so on I'd like to point out that I Modified a Jig-Saw and used it to press the A/B buttons for the Gold Medal Challenge Events.  I didn't see anything in the rules against playing smarter in this fashion so I figured why not go for it.  But of course I will concur with whatever ruling our two Benefactors feel is appropriate.......

Birds 17,900.png

Edited by PII
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

43 minutes ago, PII said:

Gold Medal Challenge:

100K - 7.77

Javelin - 107M68

Triple Jump - 20M01

Weight Lifting - 260KG

Are you using a Turbo controller?  Because your 100M dash, and more specifically, your weightlifting seems literally impossible to do with a standard controller, unless you know some sort of trick or glitch about the game that no one else on the internet does...

EDIT - Okay, I just saw that you used an apparatus to help you, which seems to me to be brazenly against the rules of fair competition to be bringing in physical devices to get a heads up, but I guess that's for @BeaIank to decide.  Even when deafcode was tearing the games apart at code level, he was still actually playing the games normally with his own two hands... 🤷‍♂️

EDIT #2 - and if physical cheat devices are going to be allowed, that ruling needs to come down sooner than later so that we can redo our scores with whatever contraptions we can come with while there's still time...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

36 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Beat it TWICE, since there is story 1 and story 2.

It is super fun.

Actually, the first quest is Stories 1 and 2, and then it gives you a password for the second quest which is Stories 3 and 4.  I'm actually kind of surpised you didn't make us start on Story 4-8 instead of 2-8, since it is significantly harder to get through on the second loop.  But I agree, the game is straight up awesome once you're good at it...

52 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Beat it TWICE, since there is story 1 and story 2.

It is super fun.

And no one seems to be very sporty this week. Not a single score for Capcom's Gold Medal Challenge '92 posted so far.

It is fun but also damn hard. Not as hard as Code Name Viper though. I remember that contest.

2 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

It is fun but also damn hard. Not as hard as Code Name Viper though. I remember that contest.

Yeah, CN Viper was in last year's tourney.  I disagree about it being tougher than Rolling Thunder, though; if you ever try to beat RT to get the true ending after 4-10, I'm sure you'll agree that 4-10 is way more difficult than the final level of Viper.  RT feels like a 60's Bond movie to me, and then Viper is like the 80's remake that tries to capture the same spirit...

Events Team · Posted
48 minutes ago, PII said:

Gold Medal Challenge:

100K - 7.77

Javelin - 107M68

Triple Jump - 20M01

Weight Lifting - 260KG

In the interest of Fair Play / Full Disclosure and so on I'd like to point out that I Modified a Jig-Saw and used it to press the A/B buttons for the Gold Medal Challenge Events.  I didn't see anything in the rules against playing smarter in this fashion so I figured why not go for it.  But of course I will concur with whatever ruling our two Benefactors feel is appropriate.......

Birds 17,900.png

100K 7.77.png

Javelin 107M68.png

Tjump 20M01.png

Wlift 260KG.png

While this was very cleaver to spare hand fatigue, your scores won't be accepted. You can still redo them playing normally without a physical apparatus to help you,

• Wow! 1

1 hour ago, PII said:

You modified what? What the hell did you do here??? Generally speaking the rules disallow any sort of hardware acceleration and you are the one who is supposed to play the game. They don't need to be named specifically. You are essentially playing on steroids. This was fun and interesting to see and now delete your save and go play using a regular controller and your bare hands...

1 hour ago, PII said:

😂😂😂

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

He made a reset button and modified the NES to accept the reset from the player 2 controller port. 😮

That's actually pretty cool.  The Turbografx 16 has an interesting method that works on all games: pressing Select and Run at the same time resets the console; I'm thinking they did this because there is no reset button anywhere to be found on the system itself...

Me                                                                                                  Cheetahmen2finalboss

DSC01053-1.jpg.cbd0795ce6a3f5215e6e5a0375f58cad.jpg

DSC01048-1.jpg.296da6a37dd67da5c9930f7024365038.jpg

DSC01044-1.jpg.57f5f13c11ddcbe514eb9e515c1cb4e8.jpg

DSC01047-1.jpg.50120f600ef9be050bd963ccdbe320a8.jpg

I ROLLED THE SCORE HERE so in reality it is supposed to be 1004380. There was nothing stated in the rules about it but I think it should definitely count but in case it doesn't (I would be extremely disappointed) then here's another run below

DSC01034-1.jpg.39d90e9735430364ca5cc7e88d1e5d17.jpg

DSC01026-1.jpg.8e271f9b3a33d81b7504b69bdfea2efd.jpg