IGNORED

It seems like folks on NA collected mainly for NES. What do people on VGS go for the most? [poll]

CT

What is the main system that you collect for?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What is the main system that you collect for?

• NES
    • SNES
    • Sega Genesis/Megadrive
    • n64
    • PS1
    • PS2
    • Gameboy
    • Gameboy Advance
    • Xbox (OG)
    • Turbo Grafx 16
    • Neo Geo
    • Gamecube
    • Atari 2600
    • Wii
    • Xbox 360
    • Sega Saturn
    • Sega Dreamcast
    • PS3
    • other option not listed here?
    • I don't have one particular system I collect for the most
    • Sega Game Gear
    • Nintendo DS

Graphics Team · Posted

What a great question, @CT. But no matter how much I think about it, I don't have a very good answer for myself...

For a really long time, my focus was collecting NES games, but that fell-off now that I've acquired almost all the titles I wanted.
Now, over the last few years I've been all-in on early shoot-em-ups (across 8-bit and 16-bit platforms).
And looking to the future, my goal is to fill-out my Atari 2600 collection.

[T-Pac]

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I collect for a variety of systems also, with the majority of my collection being PS2 Japan, and a secondary focus on demo discs of various types and consoles.

I don't actively collect for any cart-based consoles any more.  I'm probably in the minority on this site though.

I don't really actively 'collect' for current systems - my main focus there is just for playability, I don't plan on building large collections for any new system.   They naturally build a bit, as I get the games I'm interested in though.  I've also bought quite a few digital games on current systems - I'd say my Switch collection is about half physical, and half digital.  I'm guessing I'm also in the huge minority there as most people here do NOT like digital games at all, heh.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
20 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I collect for a variety of systems also, with the majority of my collection being PS2 Japan, and a secondary focus on demo discs of various types and consoles.

I don't actively collect for any cart-based consoles any more.  I'm probably in the minority on this site though.

I don't really actively 'collect' for current systems - my main focus there is just for playability, I don't plan on building large collections for any new system.   They naturally build a bit, as I get the games I'm interested in though.  I've also bought quite a few digital games on current systems - I'd say my Switch collection is about half physical, and half digital.  I'm guessing I'm also in the huge minority there as most people here do NOT like digital games at all, heh.

I get digital for some situations.  Like Layer of Fear and the Outlast games are on sale for like $2 and the physicals are pretty rare..  May as well keep my copies sealed for a possible future sale and play those instead.

Og Xbox! I'm 127 away from the full us set right now. Way too many distractions like demo discs, promos, not for resales, platinum hits, kiosk demos, clothing items, guides, hardware, accessories and all the other consoles. Kinda stepped back for a bit from actively seeking things and am just thrifting to see what comes my way, we just got a house and that's taking all my free time in a good way 🙂

Edited by drxandy
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I voted NES, but collect for all the cartridge systems.  For all the systems, I am usually looking for games that I either played as a kid and have fond memories of, or games that I know are good and I want to play through on original hardware.  I'll never have a complete NES set, but that is the system I will buy games for simply because I don't have them already. (So long as the price is right)

I have a decent amount of disc games as well, but most of those I bought at the time the system was relevant and the rest were given to me by friends/family, etc.  I just don't feel like shelling out money for discs because of their fragility, disc rot, and any system with moving parts is going to crap out eventually. 

• Like 1

I only have 71 titles to go across 11 consoles not counting eventually getting an X68000 setup or a Vectex w/multicart, so no particular focus other than the specific titles themselves.

Once I'm done with the games, there are a couple of kiosks and a few more signs I would like to get, but then I'm done done.

25 of those 71 are NA Game Boy games which continues to be rather difficult, and the one that's been like finding a diamond in a trash bin is Chikara-kun on the Casio Loopy...I've only come across it twice in the last 6 years and it got away the first time while this latest one is bundled with the complete set of Loopy games new on Mercari, but I'm not paying 3k when I have all the rest.

Patience and persistence, patience and persistence...

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

I don't get it. Why have a "main system"? Why should I let that restrict me. 

I want a multiple choice poll. 

Good question! Sadly I just do not have that much space any more. So for me, I'd like to focus on just NES. It also brings me the most joy, and it generally was always my main system to collect for during the last 10 years.

I thought of this topic after I read that people on NA were mainly there (at least in the beginning) for NES. So I was curious what the current landscape looks like. I was assuming many people would choose the "I don't have one particular system I collect for the most" option, but maybe some people have favorites.

So perhaps we could make another poll, and have people choose the top 5 systems they collect for (or something along those lines).

1 hour ago, Renmauzo said:

I only have 71 titles to go across 11 consoles not counting eventually getting an X68000 setup or a Vectex w/multicart, so no particular focus other than the specific titles themselves.

Once I'm done with the games, there are a couple of kiosks and a few more signs I would like to get, but then I'm done done.

25 of those 71 are NA Game Boy games which continues to be rather difficult, and the one that's been like finding a diamond in a trash bin is Chikara-kun on the Casio Loopy...I've only come across it twice in the last 6 years and it got away the first time while this latest one is bundled with the complete set of Loopy games new on Mercari, but I'm not paying 3k when I have all the rest.

Patience and persistence, patience and persistence...

Why don’t you just get a Zuiki x68000 mini

Just sorta recently started collecting again after about a 4-5 year hiatus & SNES is of coarse what drew me back in. Mainly just going for SNES, Genesis, Saturn & Dreamcast at the moment but still buy Switch stuff here & there. Too many awesome shmups on Switch not to try and get them all! 

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

7 hours ago, spacepup said:

don't really actively 'collect' for current systems - my main focus there is just for playability, I don't plan on building large collections for any new system.   They naturally build a bit, as I get the games I'm interested in though.

This really sums up my buying habits over the past several years. The vast majority of games I buy are to play, old or new. At the very least, they're games I believe I'll enjoy playing when I get around to it. 

• Like 1