IGNORED

It seems like folks on NA collected mainly for NES. What do people on VGS go for the most? [poll]

CT

What is the main system that you collect for?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What is the main system that you collect for?

• NES
    • SNES
    • Sega Genesis/Megadrive
    • n64
    • PS1
    • PS2
    • Gameboy
    • Gameboy Advance
    • Xbox (OG)
    • Turbo Grafx 16
    • Neo Geo
    • Gamecube
    • Atari 2600
    • Wii
    • Xbox 360
    • Sega Saturn
    • Sega Dreamcast
    • PS3
    • other option not listed here?
    • I don't have one particular system I collect for the most
    • Sega Game Gear
    • Nintendo DS

3DS + Switch here, though I've been winding down on 3DS since I have most of the things I want to play now. I'm not really going for full sets or anything, but for 3DS I've been picking up games that vaguely interests me since I'm biased toward it. Switch wise I've been a lot more specific about what I pick up since the library is so big.

• Like 1

This year seemingly has been none of the above technically, especially how I feel about it (like a few others do) which is the Famicom.  I have got up to now over 55~ games for it and have an AV Famicom on my panasonic monitor.

I did end up with a number of NES games in the last couple of months too which was strange, and a number of Genesis titles too.

SNES, N64, maybe a gamecube game or two since they're toxic, and I've got GB, GBC and GBA I grab for when I can, and a supervision.  That's it, everything is done and good n' gone other than my Switch.

32 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Well, thats not necessarily "all"

Well, do you truly collect "all"? Like, even the obscure Taiwan stuff fcgamer/Dave often waxes philosophic about? 

But even if you limit yourself to the choices in the poll, if you collect for all, you don't prioritize any, and that choice is perfectly suited.

• Like 1

NES, BAM.

Happy Birthday Yes GIF

Was there ever any doubt?

Of course, the second highest option is the general "I don't have a particular system I collect for" which I think would include NES almost 100% of the time.

As previously stated NES is king. Although I have (almost) all the games I want for it, I'm still not going out of my way to find stuff for other systems.

SNES and N64 I have for historical reasons, but aren't quite to the same level of love for NES, so NES would be the "bulk" of my "collection."

The other systems I do have are mostly just cherry picked for a few games they have. SMS for Wonder Boy. Turbo Grafx for Bonk's Adventure.... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

I voted for N64, since it is both my largest collection and my favorite console, and is one of the only consoles (the others being Gamecube and PS1) that I plan on having complete libraries for.

That being said, I do aim to have curated libraries in the 50-100+ game range for each major console.

On 12/1/2023 at 1:20 PM, The Count said:

I collect for numerous systems, but I voted Game Gear. Who is the other sadist that chose GG?

On 12/1/2023 at 1:48 PM, final fight cd said:

Yes sir. Right here. 

people can’t be so stating less popular, obscure consoles and then not post a pic.  

post a pic!

I'm the third person on that selection, which makes more people specifically collecting Game Gear than PS1!  Almost done  at less than 10 needed, however but the remaining titles are probably going to take awhile.

That said, I wish the poll would have options of by console manufacturer.  "Sega ", "Nintendo", "Xbox", "Sony", etc.  I specifically collect Sega stuff as a focus (and anything Popful Mail).  Because while "I don't have one particular system I collect for the most", I do collect based on a general focus of Sega stuff.

20 hours ago, final fight cd said:

besides the US sega cd version, what else is there? super famicom? 

SFC, Mega-CD, Promo versions, merchandise, artbooks, soundtracks and more! This is an older photo but shows a portion of my Popful Mail collection:

https://flic.kr/p/pqDujA

There was a surprising large amount of stuff made for and around the game.  It's one of my favorites of all time so I collect things around it when I can find it.  I am also a big fan of Working Designs in general so I have collected a lot of stuff pertaining to them and Falcom as well.

15 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Don’t you disrespect my Japanese computers

Indeed! Besides the original PC-88 version, there's a PC-98 version that was released twice!  In 5.25" and 3.5" version.  I also came across a PC-9801 demo diskette for the game some years back.  

Edited by xelement5x
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

5 hours ago, xelement5x said:

SFC, Mega-CD, Promo versions, merchandise, artbooks, soundtracks and more! This is an older photo but shows a portion of my Popful Mail collection:

https://flic.kr/p/pqDujA

There was a surprising large amount of stuff made for and around the game.  It's one of my favorites of all time so I collect things around it when I can find it.  I am also a big fan of Working Designs in general so I have collected a lot of stuff pertaining to them and Falcom as well.

Indeed! Besides the original PC-88 version, there's a PC-98 version that was released twice!  In 5.25" and 3.5" version.  I also came across a PC-9801 demo diskette for the game some years back.  

very cool. 

is the Sega CD different than the other versions?  i think the SFC is like completely different, right?

i didn't know about the soundtrack.  i'm gonna have to look into that. 

MY current unit of preference is the Game Gear.  I finished my GB set, so I moved on to the GG.  That said, I find a lot more NES games at game shops that I'm willing to buy than GG games.  There's usually 20-30 GG games at game shops when I go to them and they are either trashed, I have them or a tad over priced in my opinion.  But there's always hundreds. if not thousands, of NES carts and if I find one I don't have, in great shape, under $10, I will usually pick it up.

• Like 3

Graphics Team · Posted
On 12/1/2023 at 11:11 AM, Renmauzo said:

I only have 71 titles to go across 11 consoles not counting eventually getting an X68000 setup or a Vectex w/multicart, so no particular focus other than the specific titles themselves.

Once I'm done with the games, there are a couple of kiosks and a few more signs I would like to get, but then I'm done done.

25 of those 71 are NA Game Boy games which continues to be rather difficult, and the one that's been like finding a diamond in a trash bin is Chikara-kun on the Casio Loopy...I've only come across it twice in the last 6 years and it got away the first time while this latest one is bundled with the complete set of Loopy games new on Mercari, but I'm not paying 3k when I have all the rest.

Patience and persistence, patience and persistence...

Whoa - I've been trying forever to make a definitive list of "these are ALL the games I want", but I always find stuff that wasn't on my radar. Does that happen to you, or are you legit "locked-in" on that final 71?

If so - that's amazing and I'm jealous that you have such a defined finish line haha.

[T-Pac]

I voted Gameboy, though I'm into both DMG and GBA stuff. I feel that in terms of just immediately getting a really great library at your fingertips GBA SP is a super good option. No need to set anything up and it has a library that spans a huge length of time due to backwards compatibility. On top of that there's a ton of stuff from other systems that got re-released on GBA

In terms of newer games I mostly play those on my computer, but that does not really feel like collecting to me

17 hours ago, T-Pac said:

Whoa - I've been trying forever to make a definitive list of "these are ALL the games I want", but I always find stuff that wasn't on my radar. Does that happen to you, or are you legit "locked-in" on that final 71?

If so - that's amazing and I'm jealous that you have such a defined finish line haha.

[T-Pac]

For decades, I would see a video, read a magazine, hear from a friend about titles that I either hadn't heard of or had seen in some small way but dismissed out of hand for one perceived reason or another.

Flash forward to the last two years, and I locked in on what was left: I took stock of what I really wanted vs. what was a passing fancy, went over all the consoles and complete games lists, watched video, read articles, etc., and dialed it in. It came to about 190-ish to get and I've been chipping away. Well...I've always been chipping away, but I've been far more deliberate these last couple of years with my timing and planning on areas of focus at any given time, particularly as the list has gotten smaller and what's left has a lot more to consider in terms of trying to find truly complete copies (NES and Game Boy games for example) and pricing that's high enough that I have to plan more than I've had to up to this point.

All that to say that, yes, the list is 'locked in'. I've often thought of the quote, "And Alexander wept, seeing as he had no more worlds to conquer." since I'm getting so close, although in this case, I will be very happy to see it done; it's been a wonderful journey, but I'm certainly ready to put down the walking stick and simply enjoy the memories of this odyssey (and diving into all the games, of course!) as it were.

T-Pac, if you are still in the discovery phase, that's a fun place to be (admittedly, I do miss that aspect). I used to love the hunt when I lived in a bigger market, but with my only outlet being online now and currency and shipping playing a huge role that add extra hurdles, there's no thrill there any longer. In any case, hopefully you've been enjoying your journey with gaming; despite the ups and downs, I sure have, but it's certainly nice to have a finish line in sight too 😉

• Like 1