IGNORED

Movie Debate #140: Kindergarten Cop

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested in watching it.
    • Never seen it, never will.

Man, we recorded this one to VHS and I watched it a good bit as a kid.  I really enjoyed it.  I'm giving it a six but since I've not seen it 25 years too, I'm guessing it's probably in the 5-8 range.  It's tough rate a movie like this.

Also... why?  I mean, I don't mind but it feels like this is a forgotten film.  Fun for it's time, but for most, it probably wasn't memorable.  What next, Two Men and a Baby? What about Problem Child? That's a forgettable classic too.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, RH said:

Also... why?  I mean, I don't mind but it feels like this is a forgotten film.  Fun for it's time, but for most, it probably wasn't memorable.  What next, Two Men and a Baby? What about Problem Child? That's a forgettable classic too.

I either select movies/games from the sweet spot of our nostalgia years.

Or I do newer stuff and everyone's like "I've never heard of it" 😂

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I either select movies/games from the sweet spot of our nostalgia years.

Or I do newer stuff and everyone's like "I've never heard of it" 😂

Well, I don't mind, but this one did feel the most random to me.   So long as these keep getting enough votes, I kind of like these type of selections.

I like this movie for the occasional watch and think it's worth revisiting just for the Arnie quotes. It's a really strange movie to me though... it's like an action, rom-com, kids movie but the end is pretty violent and seems out of place - never really figured out who was the target audience for this one. It was the 80s into the 90s, so probably overthinking it.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I like this movie for the occasional watch and think it's worth revisiting just for the Arnie quotes. It's a really strange movie to me though... it's like an action, rom-com, kids movie but the end is pretty violent and seems out of place - never really figured out who was the target audience for this one. It was the 80s into the 90s, so probably overthinking it.

The target audience for this movie was litterally everyone I'm thinking. And it was campy and well written enough to pull it off.

2 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

The intro is also pretty violent, but most people forget about that part or miss it if you catch it on TV about 15 minutes in.  However, the violent intro is important to establish Arnold's character as a hard ass who is really out of place in a Kindergarten classroom setting.

On 11/13/2023 at 7:21 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

This and Cable Guy are two "comedies" that inexplicably get really dark in the third act, which is kinda cool to see every once in a blue moon, just for a change of pace...

I watched The Cable Guy the other day. That has to be Jim Carrey at his most irritating. I couldn't even make it to the end. Turned it off soon after the bathroom scene where he beats that guy up.

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I watched The Cable Guy the other day. That has to be Jim Carrey at his most irritating. I couldn't even make it to the end. Turned it off soon after the bathroom scene where he beats that guy up.

I had a similar experience when it showed up on Netflix recently.

Like a lot of other people, I eventually garnered quite a bit of respect of Carrey as an actor once he started dabbling in more serious roles like Truman Show or Spotless Mind, or even Man of the Moon, all of which he was absolutely amazing in.

But at the time Cable Guy came out, he did indeed come off extremely irritating in the wake of Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber, so I bounced off on it without even watching it.

Now a few decades later I've repeatedly heard people talk about Cable Guy like some sort of unique gem, I can't remember the exact details, but apparently it's supposed to have more going on than just being a dumb comedy. Is it because of its horror undertones, or are people implying that it has some sort of theme/depth/emotion/heart to it that is especially appealing?
I couldn't really tell you, because I don't see it. It's really just a blueprint for Jim Carrey's "annoying" period, in a role where he's given carte blanche to just completely roll with that. I was actually able to watch it to the end, and it only managed to confirm for me that, yes, there is indeed nothing redeemable about that period 😄 😄 

Except The Mask. I actually enjoyed The Mask.