IGNORED

Movie Debate #140: Kindergarten Cop

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested in watching it.
    • Never seen it, never will.

7 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I had a similar experience when it showed up on Netflix recently.

Like a lot of other people, I eventually garnered quite a bit of respect of Carrey as an actor once he started dabbling in more serious roles like Truman Show or Spotless Mind, or even Man of the Moon, all of which he was absolutely amazing in.

But at the time Cable Guy came out, he did indeed come off extremely irritating in the wake of Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber, so I bounced off on it without even watching it.

Now a few decades later I've repeatedly heard people talk about Cable Guy like some sort of unique gem, I can't remember the exact details, but apparently it's supposed to have more going on than just being a dumb comedy. Is it because of its horror undertones, or are people implying that it has some sort of theme/depth/emotion/heart to it that is especially appealing?
I couldn't really tell you, because I don't see it. It's really just a blueprint for Jim Carrey's "annoying" period, in a role where he's given carte blanche to just completely roll with that. I was actually able to watch it to the end, and it only managed to confirm for me that, yes, there is indeed nothing redeemable about that period 😄 😄 

Except The Mask. I actually enjoyed The Mask.

The Mask works because he's basically playing a cartoon character, a part that's perfect for him, and the wackiness makes sense.  Dumb & Dumber is also pretty funny. Otherwise I'm not a big fan of Carrey's comedies. Love Truman Show.

The Mask, Ace Ventura, and Dumb and Dumber all came out in '94 which is insane!.. then Ace Ventura 2 came out in 95, so, yeah, not totally surprising that the shtick was getting old by the time Cable Guy rolled around, especially since his character was deliberately annoying. Only thing I liked  and really remember about The Cable Guy is when they go to Medievil Times and he does the 'Silence of the Lambs' joke with the chicken skin and then the Star Trek fight music impression when they get into the sword fight.  Overall though, definitely my least favourite Jim comedy I'd say.