IGNORED

Movie Debate #139: RoboCop

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • You have no interest in watching it.

19 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

That's the thing. In the world of Robocop, the Constitution is irrelevant. The police department is a private company. They're only paying lip service to upholding the law because the people will keep paying them.

You must not have seen the later movies.  The one where the rank and file finally had enough and threw down their badges (even after the first one was asked if losing his pension was worth it) and teamed up with the townsfolk in defending their town that OCP and the Splatterpunks were trying to take away from them.  Don't you remember when the underground refugee group took Robocop and his assistant in and they joined up with them?

Then again I'm among the minority(?) who actually liked the third movie...as well as the fourth Karate Kid movie...

1 minute ago, Estil said:

You must not have seen the later movies.  The one where the rank and file finally had enough and threw down their badges (even after the first one was asked if losing his pension was worth it) and teamed up with the townsfolk in defending their town that OCP and the Splatterpunks were trying to take away from them.  Don't you remember when the underground refugee group took Robocop and his assistant in and they joined up with them?

Then again I'm among the minority(?) who actually liked the third movie...as well as the fourth Karate Kid movie...

Yeah, the later movies sucked and had none of the social context of the first one. They might as well not exist.

This is a tough one to rank.  It fits comfortably among the great sci-fy action-y movie's of the 80s/90s.  I'd probably drop it below movies like

• Aliens
  • Terminator and T2
  • Total Recall
  • Predator
  • Blade Runner
  • Independence Day

BUT those are all amazing, so no shame ranking behind them.

However, I'd put it ahead of others like

• Demolition Man
  • Flash Gordon
  • Escape from New York
  • The Road Warrior
  • The Thing
  • Fifth Element

So, I went with 8.  I figure that on a 5-point scale, I'd give it a 4 (or a B in the American system)

• The title was changed to Movie Debate #139: RoboCop