IGNORED

Movie Debate #139: RoboCop

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • You have no interest in watching it.

5 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

The movie was just ok for me.  I never got into Robocop as a kid.  I remember all of the popular kids toys which I thought was odd for a violent R rated movie, but that was the case for lots of movies during that time.  

I went with a 6/10. It's a solid movie, but the violence level was a bit much for me personally.

9/10.   First of all, the 80's were simply the best.  They sure don't make them like this anymore.

My grandparents took me to the theatre to see this when I was like 12.  I very clearly remember my grandmother loudly cackling at the SUX 6000 commercial when the stop motion dinosaur's eyes pop, and she was the only one that laughed.  It was almost as if that joke was just for her.  I haven't seen this in a few years, but it's one of those movies that I watched so many times in my youth that I can practically play the whole thing in my head.  I'm just waiting till my kids are a bit older to show them this one.

Edited by Jicsan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

9/10. Probably deserves a 10 though.

“It’s too violent”, uh duh it stars an American cop serving capitalist overlords.

No sir, he is not serving capitalist overlords.  He is SERVING THE PUBLIC TRUST.  As well as PROTECT THE INNOCENT and UPHOLD THE LAW.

13 minutes ago, Estil said:

No sir, he is not serving capitalist overlords.  He is SERVING THE PUBLIC TRUST.  As well as PROTECT THE INNOCENT and UPHOLD THE LAW.

Of course the corporate goons want him to uphold “the law”, they wrote it. The first thing ED-209 does is take a goon out, the real public servant.

15 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Of course the corporate goons want him to uphold “the law”, they wrote it. The first thing ED-209 does is take a goon out, the real public servant.

I mean the for real just law...like backed up by the Constitution and such.  Oh my, ED-209's fallen, and it doesn't have one of those things! 😄 

36 minutes ago, Estil said:

I mean the for real just law...like backed up by the Constitution and such. 

That's the thing. In the world of Robocop, the Constitution is irrelevant. The police department is a private company. They're only paying lip service to upholding the law because the people will keep paying them.

That's the whole point of the movie, capitalist interests run everything. The hit TV show is the "I'd buy that for a dollar!" guy, and the commercials are all about buying symbols of excess.

That's why the movie was so effective as satire. It reflects a lot of what was going on in the 80s (and now.)

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1