IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Spy Hunter

BeaIank

11 hours ago, wongojack said:

One quirk about the timer at the beginning is that if you don't manage to get 10k points before it runs out then you get zero extra lives.  In the arcade version, I can get the score above 18k before the timer runs out which awards 2 extra lives.  I haven't been able to score that high (before the timer runs out) on the NES version to find out if it works here too.  Something about the combination of speed of the car and the timer countdown speed make it very hard to even get close to 18k.  It helps if you get a bunch of shoot-able cars in the beginning stage (they do award points btw).  Note that at the very beginning before the first van that the small enemy cars (switchblades) and limousines (enforcers) will NOT use their weapons, so you can easily just slow down, get behind and blow them away. 

since we're not allowed to play the extra lives anyway, I guess it doesn't really make a difference for this contest, but good to know if going for an overall high score.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Oh shit I just thought of something… and don’t leave me hanging like you usually do……..do you think IM a good guy?

cmon! I gotta know! 

You're not just a good guy. You're THE guy.... The guy that shot that tetris cart for giving you the stink eye. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I bought Journey to Silius and Adventures of Lolo at the used game store today. Paid $50 for both which is about right.

I’ve tried to play silius a few times and always quit. It seems good I think the weapon doesn’t seem powerful enough if I am remembering correct

9 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@NESfiend why didn’t you guys talk on the ride home?

It wasnt that I was mad or anything like that. It just shook us up hard. We were grilled separately, then left in empty interview rooms, grilled again, left again. Then they took me out to where the car was and told me they were going to take the engine out because people put drugs in there. And if they werent there, they would rip up all the upholstery. And they didn't give a shit if they left the car inoperable and had no obligation to put anything back together. 

It all seemed like hours and hours even though it probably wasn't. It was starting to get dark when we finally pulled out. Some scary shit when you are 20 and just went out for a weekend where you could drink legally. My gf, now wife, drove up with us. Cant remember why but she took a ride back with some other girls. Still grateful for that coincidence. Id still be hearing about it from her

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I bought Journey to Silius and Adventures of Lolo at the used game store today. Paid $50 for both which is about right.

Both goodies.  Silius is fun and has some great music.  I also really like the label art with the 8-bit foreground right out of the game over the.... let's call it more traditionally painted background.  I've always found it slightly mesmerizing to stare at.

9 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

I never can get into lolo. I’ve sold them all. 

I rented it once when I was a kid. I thought it was going to be like Bomberman from the screenshots on the box. Instead I got some boring puzzle game that I was stuck playing all weekend until I could return it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

I won the 2018 and 2021 beat em up championship.

You have as many as I do then. At least until next week since I can basically win the title by posting a score. I wish I could get the win this week, but I know I won't have any time today and probably not tomorrow, so that basically just leaves me Saturday morning and afternoon.

9 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I won the 2018 and 2021 beat em up championship.

Remember, I won POW to get the 2021 championship.

Yeah you beat me! I finished 4th in the beat em up standings in 2021 since it seems like I didn't play much that year. I think that was the season with all of the Famicom games and I didn't have a way to play them at the time.