IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Spy Hunter

BeaIank

@BeaIank I'm still confused as to what we are counting as the loop point. There are several sets of double bridges, but like in the video I posted, the game loops right after the snowy area. There is a set of snow covered double bridges at toward the end of that section, so is that where we stop? It might be easier just to play until game over to avoid confusion.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

@BeaIank I'm still confused as to what we are counting as the loop point. There are several sets of double bridges, but like in the video I posted, the game loops right after the snowy area. There is a set of snow covered double bridges at toward the end of that section, so is that where we stop? It might be easier just to play until game over to avoid confusion.

I watched that longplay you posted.  To me, it looks like it gets insane quickly, but you guys are also insane with your capabilities.  I'd be with a "play until game over" rule, but I'd also be fine with a  "play until you die" rule instead and I don't think it'd take too long for anyone to get to either point, unless difficulty caps at some point and some of you can just play "infinitely" by dying well after you've earned a new life.

But I agree @Bearcat-Doug, after watching that video I could see it being tough to know when the game has looped.  There are so few biomes and everything looks the same.  I doubt I can loop this game, but if I did, I possibly wouldn't know it.

Edited by RH

29 minutes ago, RH said:
34 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I watched that longplay you posted.  To me, it looks like it gets insane quickly, but you guys are also insane with your capabilities.  I'd be with a "play until game over" rule, but I'd also be fine with a  "play until you die" rule instead and I don't think it'd take too long for anyone to get to either point, unless difficulty caps at some point and some of you can just play "infinitely" by dying well after you've earned a new life.

But I agree @Bearcat-Doug, after watching that video I could see it being tough to know when the game has looped.  There are so few biomes and everything looks the same.  I doubt I can loop this game, but if I did, I possibly wouldn't know it.

So, I've been looking at this playthrough and the order of backrounds proceeds: Green, Desert, Green, Snow, Desert, Snow, Green, Desert, Green.

It looks like the loop point is after the desert double bridge when the driver hits the 4th green area.

How do we get everyone to hit pause at precisely the same moment?  The driver's score is quickly racking up with every split second of progress...

Edited by PII

13 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

There is no clear looping point in Spy Hunter. It's best to just play until game over.

...or first death.  I know I'm usually at the bottom of the capability pile, but I'd 100% be willing to do a play-until-you die style game on this one.

This should make games super short.  Thoughts @BeaIank and everyone?  Is that too short?

Nevermind.  I just played the game for the first time.  Apparently you get infinite lives until the timer reaches zero.  I didn't understand that.  It complicates the one-death rule, IMHO.  I'm fine with a play til Game Over setup, regardless of looping.

Edited by RH

2 hours ago, RH said:

...or first death.  I know I'm usually at the bottom of the capability pile, but I'd 100% be willing to do a play-until-you die style game on this one.

This should make games super short.  Thoughts @BeaIank and everyone?  Is that too short?

Nevermind.  I just played the game for the first time.  Apparently you get infinite lives until the timer reaches zero.  I didn't understand that.  It complicates the one-death rule, IMHO.  I'm fine with a play til Game Over setup, regardless of looping.

I think if you get 10,000 points before the timer runs out, then you get individual lives. It's unnecessarily complicated.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

2 hours ago, PII said:

How do we get everyone to hit pause at precisely the same moment?  The driver's score is quickly racking up with every split second of progress...

I was wondering that too. At least we got the rules fixed now so you can go about crushing us all for the arcade championship. 😂

22 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Dang, any of us could win the arcade championship this week. I've never been in the running for it before.

I missed Millipede week and @Gloves missed Popeye so it's our fault. I'm guessing whoever wins this week gets the title. I finished 4th in the 2020 Millipede contest too, so I probably would have had the arcade lead going into this week with the lead if I had played.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug