IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Spy Hunter

BeaIank

4 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I missed Millipede week and @Gloves missed Popeye so it's our fault. I'm guessing whoever wins this week gets the title. I finished 4th in the 2020 Millipede contest too, so I probably would have had the arcade lead going into this week with the lead if I had played.

Hey Doug, I got a really good Tyson time today. Around 2:53. My second knockdown was at 1:58, I was so happy.

18 minutes ago, RH said:

I’m not trying to stir anything up but I’ve tried to pay attention but I don’t think killing enemies gives you any points.  I’ll go super slow, shoot a car in front of me and I can see the score tick up only 15 points.

Can anyone else verify this?

Seems you are right.  I just shot and oiled quite a few of the 3 enemy cars and it seems like there is no jump in points.  Not sure about shooting the helicopter yet...

2 minutes ago, PII said:
21 minutes ago, RH said:

I’m not trying to stir anything up but I’ve tried to pay attention but I don’t think killing enemies gives you any points.  I’ll go super slow, shoot a car in front of me and I can see the score tick up only 15 points.

Can anyone else verify this?

Seems you are right.  I just shot and oiled quite a few of the 3 enemy cars and it seems like there is no jump in points.  Not sure about shooting the helicopter yet...

I take that back, now I'm seeing a jump in points...  I know if you shot a civilian or drove on the edge of the road it removes point gain for a second or three...

2 minutes ago, PII said:

Well, the problem with this is one you get to the loops  by point, the score for everyone should be fixed.

@BeaIank, you have any thoughts on this, if in fact, there is no way to score points beyond going the distance? I think part of the confusion is that on the arcade version, I think you might actually get points.

7 minutes ago, RH said:

Oh, nevermind then.  Who are the civilians?

Only the dark blue cars are enemy spys.  The other color cars and motorcycles are civilians.  It is weird trying to watch the score while driving and shooting.  Maybe it's a blink at the wrong moment and you miss it kind of thing...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SuperJimtendo said:

Only the dark blue cars, the ones that you bullets bounce off of are the enemies? Why even have bullets then?Infinite lives until timer runs out or 10000 points? New rule set? Oof that's all way too complicated

Only the chubby blues are bullet proof and must be forced off the road from in front with oil slicks or smoke.  The smaller blues have switchblades that stick out the tires on the sides and the limos have guys with shotguns that try to shoot you from the side windows.  They are both shootable.

It feels like this game starts playing dirty too.  I've tried to watch my speed at some points, but some times you just have to gun it to get past cars.  I was on a narrow path, and I turbo boosted to get behind a blue tank, only to have one of the other blue spike cars fall from the top, run beside me and hit the spikes as soon as it was beside me!

I've had a similar thing happen to me with the limo and the gunner. 😡  It always seems to get tougher and more "combative" when you reach the area past the third split.

Oh, I found out that Yo Noid was played before in the weekly contests. It was a one life contest but with no stage limit. Our top scores were pretty crazy for only being able to play the first five stages. I wonder what we would've gotten had we been allowed to keep going. https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview88f9.html?catid=31&threadid=29882

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Oh, I found out that Yo Noid was played before in the weekly contests. It was a one life contest but with no stage limit. Our top scores were pretty crazy for only being able to play the first five stages. I wonder what we would've gotten had we been allowed to keep going. https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview88f9.html?catid=31&threadid=29882

I think there are 14 stages total, so there would have been some wild scores if several players beat the game.