IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Yo! Noid

BeaIank

@mbd39 Have you ever played the Famicom version of Contra? It's got some cool extras that weren't in the US version like background animations, cut scenes and a Ghosts N Goblins style map between levels. The ending is a little longer too. Here's a good description of all the differences if you haven't played it.

https://tcrf.net/Contra_(NES)

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

11 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

@mbd39 Have you ever played the Famicom version of Contra? It's got some cool extras that weren't in the US version like background animations, cut scenes and a Ghosts N Goblins style map between levels. The ending is a little longer too. Here's a good description of all the differences if you haven't played it.

https://tcrf.net/Contra_(NES)

I've seen it but I haven't played it.  It looks pretty cool. Except the snow in the Snowfield might make it even harder to see bullets.

13 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Yeah, you get 10k if the other guy doesn't eat any pizzas. Doesn't seem always possible.

I don't think it's possible everytime since you can only beat the 4s and 5s if you picked up the 2x multiplier, the pepper and the hot sauce. If the CPU draws all of the 4s and 5s, it's tough to get the shutout since you really need that 2x multiplier for when they draw a 1. If they draw the 5 and both 4s, you need to use the multiplier to block one of those which makes it tough to get a shutout.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I may have to make a run at this. I just now saw that the rules said to stop at stage 6 and I can probably make it that far.

It's certainly doable, and I've left a few points on the table from not shooting the scrolls (10 whole points each), and not using certain speedrun strats that are hard to nail (100 points per second wasted).

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

It's certainly doable, and I've left a few points on the table from not shooting the scrolls (10 whole points each), and not using certain speedrun strats that are hard to nail (100 points per second wasted).

I played a loop of Spy Hunter earlier today so I can probably go back to this.

52 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I may have to make a run at this. I just now saw that the rules said to stop at stage 6 and I can probably make it that far.

I have the skateboard level mostly all figured out so I should be able to get a decent score. The worst part was figuring out the hitbox for bopping enemies. It's not that bad once you know what to do.

21 hours ago, Gloves said:

I got a full run in, but you still have me beat by 6000 points. I might give it another shot over the weekend, but I doubt I'm winning this week.

• Like 1