IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Yo! Noid

BeaIank

40 minutes ago, Gloves said:

To be honest once you know where each enemy appears and how to deal with them, the game is pretty easy. The sewer level is especially short and easy if you just keep moving, most of the enemies (the fish) are totally avoided. 

If you really wanna put up a good score I'd watch the top speedrun on speedrun.com. You don't wanna do everything he does, he skips points, but he quickly does everything that makes it easier to clear. 

I was going to check a speedrun out. I made it to level 7 after I played out the rest of my lives, so I could do better. I think @PII has an 11 point lead in the action genre, so he's got the title even if he doesn't post a score. I kinda want to get a head start on Spy Hunter since I'm only two points behind you for the arcade title, but the standings are so close that six players could win it. I wish I hadn't missed that Millipede contest early in the year since I'm pretty good at it and likely would have been going into next week with the lead since you missed Popeye.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It does the same thing if you lose a pizza eating contest at the end of a level.

Makes sense because those are actually card battle boss fights in the original ninja game that this is a reskin of, so the pizza eating contests are boss fights. But you shouldn't die just from losing at a secret bonus screen.

2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

The flavored crust shtick is pretty good but the pizza feels like a poor man’s little Caesar’s hence why I brought it up.

Howie's sheet pizza is pretty good though.

And I don't know what Domino's did to their sauce, but the last pizza I got from there was inedible because of it.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Howie's sheet pizza is pretty good though.

And I don't know what Domino's did to their sauce, but the last pizza I got from there was inedible because of it.

They changed it not too long ago and I think it's worse than it was. The one near me literally drowns the pizzas too and if you mark light sauce on your order they spread it so thin that you can see through it so there's no happy medium. I have a dine in Pizza Hut close to me, but their prices have gone sky high.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Administrator · Posted
19 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

If you lose the whack-a-mole game in stage 2, you lose a life and start back at the beginning of the level. And it's so easy to enter that thing by accident.

Usually losing in a bonus game doesn't actually kill you and make you start the level over. What a jank piece of shit.

You have to jump and attack to enter the secret, and there's no enemies in that area. How are you entering it by mistake? 

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

You have to jump and attack to enter the secret, and there's no enemies in that area. How are you entering it by mistake? 

All I know is a couple times it happened. At first I thought the stage just ended there because I didn't feel like I did anything special. It must have been the way that I was playing.

When the little Ceasars shops in Colorado started to close down because of pizza hut and domino's getting the ninja turtles deals. The ones in Pueblo colorado stayed open because the franchise owner who was a former Chicago black hawks player, played peewee hockey for the Detroit team and knew the owner personally, called him up and told him the company cheese sucked. His franchises survived because the owner gave him permission to use better cheeses. 

• Wow! 1

14 minutes ago, SuperJimtendo said:

When the little Ceasars shops in Colorado started to close down because of pizza hut and domino's getting the ninja turtles deals. The ones in Pueblo colorado stayed open because the franchise owner who was a former Chicago black hawks player, played peewee hockey for the Detroit team and knew the owner personally, called him up and told him the company cheese sucked. His franchises survived because the owner gave him permission to use better cheeses. 

If you have the manual for TMNT 2: The Arcade Game, there's a Pizza Hut coupon on the back for a free personal pan pizza. Little Caesar's never gave me free pizza with my NES games. That is why they failed.

Turtles-II-manual-pizza-coupon-1024x929.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

19 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

If you have the manual for TMNT 2: The Arcade Game, there's a Pizza Hut coupon on the back for a free personal pan pizza. Little Caesar's never gave me free pizza with my NES games so that's why Pizza Hut is better.

By that standard, does that make Dominos better?

image.jpeg.f5f4fcf38c6e142a0bb72a147795d319.jpeg

And I know it's a dollar off but back in 1992 , couldn't you get a small pizza for probably about $3?

Edited by RH

7 minutes ago, RH said:

By that standard, does that make Dominos better?

image.jpeg.f5f4fcf38c6e142a0bb72a147795d319.jpeg

And I know it's a dollar off but back in 1992 , couldn't you get a small pizza for probably about $3?

I'd say a small pizza back then was probably around that. The one near me still has $7.99 large 1 topping pizzas.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

47 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Sheet pizza?

38 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think it's like Detroit style. It's rectangle and cooked on a baking sheet/pan.

Not Detroit style; think like the Bigfoot that Pizza Hut had in the 90s.

I'd link to it, but apparently HH doesn't serve that size anymore.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Remember that “making it great!” slogan? Gosh it was awesome. I used to go around saying “pizza hot” I didn’t even understand it was actually “hut” I was probably 5 years old and it just made sense that a pizza would be hot to me. I remember when I realized it was “hut” and it sounded weird to me.

3 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Not Detroit style; think like the Bigfoot that Pizza Hut had in the 90s.

I'd link to it, but apparently HH doesn't serve that size anymore.

The Pizza Hut near me still has them, but they don't call it a Bigfoot. They still have taco pizzas too, which I think most other Pizza Huts did away with in the '90s.

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The Pizza Hut near me still has them, but they don't call it a Bigfoot. They still have taco pizzas too, which I think most other Pizza Huts did away with in the '90s.

The one closest to my parents' house was the last one in our area to sell the Bigfoot.   They sold so many that they didn't want to discontinue it, so the other Pizza Huts in the area sent their Bigfoot pans to that store.

2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Remember that “making it great!” slogan? Gosh it was awesome. I used to go around saying “pizza hot” I didn’t even understand it was actually “hut” I was probably 5 years old and it just made sense that a pizza would be hot to me. I remember when I realized it was “hut” and it sounded weird to me.

The Pizza Hut here hasn't changed much at all since it opened in 1977 except they took out the jukebox and Frogger cocktail table.

51144189826_5597f7eca4_b.jpg

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

This is perhaps the most coherent story I've ever heard you tell. 😉 Made sense from end to end.  ...I already miss the old Wormy....                                       

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, PII said:

This is perhaps the most coherent story I've ever heard you tell. 😉 Made sense from end to end.  ...I already miss the old Wormy....                                       

I thought it seemed like skinny's account had been hacked or something. I miss his long and crazy Wednesday stories. One can only imagine that he published them in book form entitled Fear and Loathing in South Florida.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The Pizza Hut here hasn't changed much at all since it opened in 1977 except they took out the jukebox and Frogger cocktail table.

51144189826_5597f7eca4_b.jpg

Damn that’s awesome. Do they still have the lunch buffet? There was two in the closet town over but one closed down. The other one, right off I-10 is still open but it’s pickup only. It’s creepy inside. Last time I picked a pizza up there I felt like I was in an abandoned video. The dining area is still there and it’s big but all the lights are off, the chairs are upside down on the tables and it’s roped off. I asked “can you still dine in?” And the lady said “no, it’s been pickup only for about three years now…”

onky way that place is still in business is the people off the highway and hotels.