IGNORED

Why is Little Samson So Much More Expensive?

5 hours ago, AirVillain said:

FUCK.... my brain will FOREVER be like "You had it for $60 you CHEAP BASTARD!" While I was buying stupid T-shirts and other random games on eBay. 🤣

When was this exactly? 

I'll tell you a similar regret, I knew I had something but I guess I didn't know what. I noticed my Hogan's Alley had a matte sticker seal. The box was pretty beat up. It sold 5 minutes after I posted it and I knew then that I fucked up but I honored the sale and the guy flipped it for 10x the price.

• Sad 1

Well finally something NICE to say about Hydlide then.  The thing is I'm not quite sure it's even a bad game, it's just a game of its time, so if you play it by the limitations of the time, and what the game expects of you to do to survive it's probably more average than awful.

Whatever, I mean I don't care much anymore.  I'll get a few import FC or whichever games online, and I buy around here now which thankfully saves a huge bit of money, and gives more time to play having less usually come home because i also won't play into it anymore.  I got my nice PVM or the new tv, both work nice. 🙂  Maybe I should pull up the everdrive, kind of tempted to sell those off since i rarely use them anyway.

On 8/11/2023 at 6:00 PM, Link said:

When was this exactly? 

I'll tell you a similar regret, I knew I had something but I guess I didn't know what. I noticed my Hogan's Alley had a matte sticker seal. The box was pretty beat up. It sold 5 minutes after I posted it and I knew then that I fucked up but I honored the sale and the guy flipped it for 10x the price.

It was ~2008-9 🤔 Was living on the bottom floor of a duplex with a bunch of random friends. Had a couple benders for weeks on end and probably spent whatever Samson would have cost, plus the shipping haha, on an afternoon drinking. 

Dang.... yeah. Eff. I feel ya... Some generic boxes I wish I didn't get rid of. I have to try to not think about this shit, haha.

At least we know we aren't alone. 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Link said:

Here is some historical data and discussion, you can watch the price rising as it became noticeable. You may see some familiar faces.

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?152131-WTF-happened-to-Little-Samson

Nice to see portnoyd was a cuddly ray of sunshine back then, too. 😛

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Reading the thread and seeing some familiar names, it’s crazy how long you all have been doing this for. That thread was in 2011 and people were talking about buying little Samson at flea markets like 3.5 years before that. I didn’t even know what a little Samson was in 2008 much less would have been looking for it lmao

Edited by a3quit4s

26 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Reading the thread and seeing some familiar names, it’s crazy how long you all have been doing this for. That thread was in 2011 and people were talking about buying little Samson at flea markets like 3.5 years before that. I didn’t even know what a little Samson was in 2008 much less would have been looking for it lmao

Well if you really want a shock, that wasn't even the prime of Digital Press. It was really grand back during the late 90s and early 2000s. Joe had a storefront, there was the guide, the war room on the forums where people got to call each other out, etc. Really different times but the mentality of the collectors was different back then too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Link said:

Here is some historical data and discussion, you can watch the price rising as it became noticeable. You may see some familiar faces.

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?152131-WTF-happened-to-Little-Samson

I’ve almost forgotten about the old DP forum. Was the first place I joined when I started collecting back in 2011. Though I wasn’t in this particular thread 

• Like 1

At the end of the day, no matter how many years have passed- NES is still seen as THE system to collect and everyone wants this one, full set or not. On that note, when I you get that close to having a full set and only a few games are missing, people are going to be more likely to drop a couple grand on one game "just this once."

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

4 hours ago, snes_collector said:

At the end of the day, no matter how many years have passed- NES is still seen as THE system to collect and everyone wants this one, full set or not. On that note, when I you get that close to having a full set and only a few games are missing, people are going to be more likely to drop a couple grand on one game "just this once."

Is it?  Genuinely curious.  
The kids all seem to be into DS and GameCube these days.  

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Those seem popular, though I feel like the NES still has them beat, specifically in the category of collecting for a full set. I sometimes go and buy myself some GC/NDS stuff, but only for games I have a strong interest in. It could just be my imagination though

2 minutes ago, Ankos said:

Those seem popular, though I feel like the NES still has them beat, specifically in the category of collecting for a full set. I sometimes go and buy myself some GC/NDS stuff, but only for games I have a strong interest in. It could just be my imagination though

My experience with the community outside of here is exclusively Reddit so it may just be a there thing.  While it does seem NES collecting has some level of prestige I see a whole lot more upvotes for look at this pile of DS games I got at GameStop.  We all sort of knew that would be the case though as NES collectors aged and the younger folks started collecting what they remember.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Ankos said:

I think this could be because it's the most documented and most discussed as far as "what counts". Isn't it the first console with a large library where the full set became a thing to pursue? 

1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

My experience with the community outside of here is exclusively Reddit so it may just be a there thing.  While it does seem NES collecting has some level of prestige I see a whole lot more upvotes for look at this pile of DS games I got at GameStop.  We all sort of knew that would be the case though as NES collectors aged and the younger folks started collecting what they remember.

Agreed. Move outside of the VGS or private FB group bubble and the collecting world has moved on. NES is popular here but stuff like GC/PS2/360/DS is where a lot of collectors are at these days. Even switch collecting is huge.

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Agreed. Move outside of the VGS or private FB group bubble and the collecting world has moved on. NES is popular here but stuff like GC/PS2/360/DS is where a lot of collectors are at these days. Even switch collecting is huge.

That can't be true Atari is TRUE CLASSIC gaming. Atari will always matter. It's the base that all other games are built off of. Even kids growing up today are going to look back and remember Atari.

Oh sorry you're talking about NES? That can't be true, NES is TRUE CLASSIC gaming. NES will always matter. It's the base that all other games are built off. Even kids growing up today are going to look back and remember NES.

Atari is garbage boomer shit btw.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/20/2023 at 1:04 PM, Hammerfestus said:

Going to have to agree with this, but do wrangle the 3DS into the DS pile as it's as bad, actually worse given the lame virus never let it flatline when it sunset like normally happens.  It just got toxic and stayed bad.  I'm at a rate right now I'm looking to offload all my DS and 3DS stuff that remains a game or two aside I'd give to my kid that she'd like to play such as Mario 3D Land.  18~ games, 1 handheld, couple cases, and a pokewalker and it's worth around $1500 which is asinine.

Gamecube I'm really on the fence of it too as the toxicity of it is so off putting I kind of just see it as a huge risk with few benefits given it's optical, touchy discs, it's not a good thing.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Going to have to agree with this, but do wrangle the 3DS into the DS pile as it's as bad, actually worse given the lame virus never let it flatline when it sunset like normally happens.  It just got toxic and stayed bad.  I'm at a rate right now I'm looking to offload all my DS and 3DS stuff that remains a game or two aside I'd give to my kid that she'd like to play such as Mario 3D Land.  18~ games, 1 handheld, couple cases, and a pokewalker and it's worth around $1500 which is asinine.

Gamecube I'm really on the fence of it too as the toxicity of it is so off putting I kind of just see it as a huge risk with few benefits given it's optical, touchy discs, it's not a good thing.

At one point I was trying to go for a complete NA Dragon Quest collection and I got to the DS games and it stopped me pretty dead in my tracks.  I just can’t bring myself to pay that much for games from a system I’ve never even had.  In what universe does it make sense for DQ 9 to cost as much as a CIB DQ 4?  That’s some crap.

• Wow! 1

20 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

At one point I was trying to go for a complete NA Dragon Quest collection and I got to the DS games and it stopped me pretty dead in my tracks.  I just can’t bring myself to pay that much for games from a system I’ve never even had.  In what universe does it make sense for DQ 9 to cost as much as a CIB DQ 4?  That’s some crap.

Ugh sorry, yeah I know how that is.  I recently sold off my DQ4 game, gave a guy (hah) a deal on it for $100 locally since it was rolling around 140-150 online.  He was thrilled, I felt bad it was that high.  I kept the guide though, paid $7.50 (50% off sale) for the iOS version. 😄  DQ9 should never cost that much it was a dumpster basement deal since it was over produced.  It is total crap 100%.

Like I said I'm over the bs.  I want to purge some of the toxic elements I have now, and just refine what lesser I care to keep and support, and of that most of what I do get anymore is local only, non online priced only (around the $20+ mark for that) or I just don't want or need it.  Most recently I've just been snapping up famicom titles which are far less toxic.  I'm working a 2nd PT job now, so my time is a bit more limited, not going to waste it on shenanigans.  I've had 4 FC games come in the mail the other day I still haven't had time to try out because of it.

• 3 weeks later...