IGNORED

Why is Little Samson So Much More Expensive?

Hardly any of the late release Taito titles are very common. 

I suspect that they still believed that there was gas in the tank of the NES and were releasing those games to feel it out. Back in 1992, there was a bit of a question about whether the SNES would take off. It did, of course, but I can see Taito sticking with NES development with some small release numbers just in case.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I guess I was trying to stretch the game shop owner to the yard sale scenario. Any game shop owner that gets a Little Samson may keep it where they'll put every copy of Battleship out for sale for $10. My point here is the Little Samsons are kept and held in collections where these other games released around the same time are not.

It's noteworthy that video game collectors likely still to this day are outnumbered by people who just kinda have a bunch of carts in boxes in their basements or wherever. Of those, a number will have been parents or grandparents in the early 90s, making them not the most tech-literate and/or generally concerned with this sort of thing. It's all just a box of stuff to them. Those people have yard sales.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Gloves said:

It's noteworthy that video game collectors likely still to this day are outnumbered by people who just kinda have a bunch of carts in boxes in their basements or wherever. Of those, a number will have been parents or grandparents in the early 90s, making them not the most tech-literate and/or generally concerned with this sort of thing. It's all just a box of stuff to them. Those people have yard sales.

This would have applied years ago but the cat's out of the bag that some of dem tapes been worth big smackers, we see this a lot when looking at goodwill prices.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

25 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Those garage sales mostly already happened ten years after those kids moved out, which was ten years ago. 

Anecdotes are just that. But my own are that NES stuff isn't showing up at garage sales and hasn't been for quite some time, and I haven't heard any that would say otherwise. Hell, garage sales at all aren't very common these days, never mind finding collector's items at them after Stadium Events headlines.

• Agree 3

On 8/7/2023 at 6:17 AM, Link said:

I agree. But Richie Rich wants it because it gained prominence because players like it. 

Little Samson is more expensive because it has so many desireable factors, of which the fun factor was a large one in the beginning of its hype cycle. And in this space there is no big spend if there is no hype.

Look at the list in the OP. If it was not a fun game, it would just be F-117 ($19 today). Or maybe Color A Dinsosaur ($160). 

I think we’re talking different perspectives. I have no doubts that fun is definitely a factor in the initial hype and allows a global awareness of any such games. So yes, fun can up the value of a retro game. I’m talking though about the 4 figure games and beyond, where there does not seem to be any obvious correlation between fun and bids/offers of $2000 to $2,000,000. Especially when you compare those games with other games from their respective game platforms or eras.

14 minutes ago, GPX said:

I think we’re talking different perspectives. I have no doubts that fun is definitely a factor in the initial hype and allows a global awareness of any such games. So yes, fun can up the value of a retro game. I’m talking though about the 4 figure games and beyond, where there does not seem to be any obvious correlation between fun and bids/offers of $2000 to $2,000,000. Especially when you compare those games with other games from their respective game platforms or eras.

In the case of Little Samson, it probably was just the snowball effect. It's a good game that's uncommon, so people talked about it more, asking price went up. People really started talking about it due to it being a good game and pricey, price went up more. Everyone on YouTube mentioning it as a good but expensive game, price starts to skyrocket. People need it (and Stadium Events and Dino Peak) to complete their sets, "Oh, I have it for sale, but you better open that wallet wide." And so on and so forth.

Sometimes it just happens. I mean, yeah, there's no real reason for it to be four figures, but people are paying that amount, so it is what it is.

• Agree 3

20 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

People need it (and Stadium Events and Dino Peak) to complete their sets, "Oh, I have it for sale, but you better open that wallet wide." And so on and so forth.

and FOMO

41 minutes ago, GPX said:

I think we’re talking different perspectives.

I think so too. I feel like we are developing this discussion, though. I've simply saying "this is why it's expensive", whereas you're asking more questions about the range of prices along the line of the OP. 

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Mega Man 6 was published by Nintendo so they made tens of thousands of them. Any game published by Nintendo doesn't count for that reason.

Wario's Woods was released in 1994 and sealed copies are about $200.

We have to make a distinction between Megaman 6 and Megaman 6 purple. Megaman 6 has tens of thousands, but the purple border version is probably just as rare Little Samson. And the prices for it have started to catch up.. lately I’ve been seeing purple border Megaman 6 listings for $1000+ even the ones listed on MercadoLivre in Brazil 

Edited by phart010
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Link said:

It wasn't an arcade game.

4 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, Little Samson is an icon among NES/retro game collectors, but it's meaningless outside of that group.

if i made a game called 'taito milestones' you'd think samson would be in there

i guess it's not a milestone

Graphics Team · Posted

Obviously, games like Little Samson are expensive because they're made from more valuable raw-materials than games like SMB/DH. 

I hear pure Samsonillium was embedded in the chips of each and every copy in the manufacturing process. 

[T-Pac]

image.png.7de98226d76e3f5e512e49ffebbc1336.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, CIB_Wholesale said:

I can't think of a reason why it would be. As Link said, it wasn't an arcade game, and it was obscure back in 1992. Plus, I don't think Taito gives much of a flip about retro NES gamers.

Granted, that collection is missing a few others like Bubble Bobble and Arkanoid (though the paddle control might explain its absence.) But I still don't see Little Samson/Lickle showing up regardless.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I can't think of a reason why it would be. As Link said, it wasn't an arcade game, and it was obscure back in 1992. Plus,

they should have called it Taito Arcade Milestones . leaving samson out of 2 games called taito milestones says they dont care

36 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I don't think Taito gives much of a flip about retro NES gamers.

exactly the recipe for rarity. the fans care but the devs dont

2 hours ago, CIB_Wholesale said:

"Taito Milestones 2 is a new collection with more of Taito’s arcade classics. "