IGNORED

2024 USA Presidential Election

For Whom The Vote Tolls  

26 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to vote for President of the USA, whom would you vote for?

• Joe Biden
    • Donald Trump
    • Ron DeSantis
    • Doug Burgum
    • Chris Christie
    • Larry Elder
    • Nikki Haley
    • Will Hurd
    • Asa Hutchinson
    • Perry Johnson
    • Mike Pence
    • Vivek Ramaswamy
    • Tim Scott
    • Francis Suarez
    • OTHER -- Democrat
    • OTHER -- Republican
    • OTHER -- Independent

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, avatar! said:

So, Trudeau does have a good reputation here in the USA, but I've heard he's much less popular in Canada -- true that? 🙂

Nobody ever likes the person at the top. I'm not a fan but I'm not huge on politics. I'd much prefer green party or something but we're in a similar case to the States where there's really only two parties. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I think everyone best accept/come to terms now that it will be Trump.  2025 is going to be the start of a very strange era.

I still don't see how Trump can get through the general with the anti-abortion baggage. The GOP got trounced in the mid-terms, and really haven't been able to come up with a narrative that people accept outside of the Republican base.

Just now, Californication said:

I still don't see how Trump can get through the general with the anti-abortion baggage. The GOP got trounced in the mid-terms, and really haven't been able to come up with a narrative that people accept outside of the Republican base.

Unlike the competition, the party is effective, relatively unified, and follows through on their promises.

Trump wins NH, Nicky Haley made noise in the liberal areas as expected. Trump won Laconia, which is my town, though he did have a rally here last night, which didn't make the town as crazy as expected. Saw quite a few Mass plates leaving the rally, I expect many people traveled to it. Locally I know Nicky Haley rubbed people e the wrong way. One of her staffers placed a huge sign right in front of the sign of the restaurant I work at. It irked a few people (myself included) that he would do that. This is one of the larger businesses in Laconia, mind you to do that to. The kind of thing that would get the whole town talking. So there's that.

I'm optimistic by the results that close to 45% republican voters (no cross party voting in NH) are going to Haley as of now. Many I expect to vote Biden in the general election which bodes well for a largely purple state. Our Gov Sununu was a major backer, so we shall see how much momentum she has with a relatively stronger that expected showing.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Link said:

Unlike the competition, the party is effective, relatively unified, and follows through on their promises.

I mean as far as legislation goes the Republicans almost only successful legislation was the tax cut for the wealthy.

Don't get me wrong the Dem's are weak, but it is a much bigger lift for them to get anything done because they try and pass legislation, while most Republican politicians goals are to destroy the government from within.

1 hour ago, Californication said:

I mean as far as legislation goes the Republicans almost only successful legislation was the tax cut for the wealthy.

That side of the outrage machine doesn't care. There are a hundred reasons for Republicans to vote Republican. The left/liberal side is fractured and has a dozen reasons to not vote, or not vote Democratic, and for many people only one reason to vote, which is voting against the other guy more than for someone.

Don't get me wrong the Dem's are weak, but it is a much bigger lift for them to get anything done because they try and pass legislation, while most Republican politicians goals are to destroy the government from within.

100% agree

22 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

I'm optimistic by the results that close to 45% republican voters (no cross party voting in NH) are going to Haley as of now. Many I expect to vote Biden in the general election which bodes well for a largely purple state. Our Gov Sununu was a major backer, so we shall see how much momentum she has with a relatively stronger that expected showing.

I pray Haley wins the Republican nomination. I've heard some people say "Biden can definitely beat Trump, so we should let Trump have the nomination" -- but I'm not so sure. I would feel far more comfortable with Haley, or honestly pretty much anyone but Trump on the ticket.

2 hours ago, Californication said:

I mean it's not all legislation but 3 Supreme Court picks and striking down national abortion rights and affirmative action, Masterpiece Cakeshop, reduced EPA oversight of fossil fuels, maintaining the gun control status quo of thoughts and prayers, etc. It might not be popular but conservatives certainly are effective at achieving their goals.

What are the Biden admin's biggest wins? An infrastructure bill, Covid economic soft landing, and ending the occupation of Afghanistan? While great, that sure doesn't feel like some win for the left, it just feels like, you know, stuff that everyone should agree is good? And so we ratchet on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I mean it's not all legislation but 3 Supreme Court picks and striking down national abortion rights and affirmative action, Masterpiece Cakeshop, reduced EPA oversight of fossil fuels, maintaining the gun control status quo of thoughts and prayers, etc. It might not be popular but conservatives certainly are effective at achieving their goals.

What are the Biden admin's biggest wins? An infrastructure bill, Covid economic soft landing, and ending the occupation of Afghanistan? While great, that sure doesn't feel like some win for the left, it just feels like, you know, stuff that everyone should agree is good? And so 

It feels weird counting each Supreme Court ruling individually. 

When I think of Trump v. Biden, I think of Trump's foreign policy. Trump nearly started a war with Iran by assassinating one of it's generals. Trump also antagonized Palestine and other middle eastern countries by recognizing Jerusalem as the capitsl of Israel. And Trump shredded the nuclear agreement with Iran who is now on course to develop nuclear weapons. 

And now after years of harrasment Iran is feeling emboldened enough to attack us through multiple proxies.

• Agree 1

Trump also antagonized Palestine and other middle eastern countries by recognizing Jerusalem as the capitsl of Israel.

And under the current admin we are funding and supporting Israel in the latest conflict, which doesn't exactly turn me on. Imperialism and destabilization are bipartisan here, I'm sure you know that. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Californication said:

When I think of Trump v. Biden, I think of Trump's foreign policy. Trump nearly started a war with Iran by assassinating one of it's generals. Trump also antagonized Palestine and other middle eastern countries by recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. And Trump shredded the nuclear agreement with Iran who is now on course to develop nuclear weapons. 

Yet how do you explain this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Accords

And I imagine Iran would be on course to develop nuclear weapons anyway.  And Jerusalem IS the capital of Israel.  At least on my globe it's marked as such...

On 1/23/2024 at 5:02 PM, Link said:

Shoot somebody in the middle of Fifth Ave.

Yeah anybody with half a brain knows he did not mean either one literally!  And I really thought the timing of unleashing that Access Hollywood tape just a few days before the second debate was exceptionally sus (as they call it nowadays).  What the heck was the media doing just sitting on this for so long?  Why didn't they report it as soon as it was discovered?  And why did they wait until just before the second debate and not just before the first one?  I know Bernard Goldberg's Bias book first exposed media bias back in the early 2000s but at least they TRIED not to make it so obvious.  But oh boy did the MSM throw absolutely EVERYTHING negative they could at Trump hoping to ruin him, and still are.  Trump will easily get the R nomination because his supporters are much hungrier than the ones for the other R contenders.  As for the general election...remember it might not be Biden he's going against...it could instead be Harris.

On 1/4/2024 at 4:00 PM, avatar! said:

So, Trudeau does have a good reputation here in the USA, but I've heard he's much less popular in Canada -- true that? 🙂

Yet he's been their PM for a little over eight years so far so he and his Liberal party must be doing something right?

On 1/4/2024 at 4:03 PM, Gloves said:

Nobody ever likes the person at the top. I'm not a fan but I'm not huge on politics. I'd much prefer green party or something but we're in a similar case to the States where there's really only two parties. 

You do know that if a third party ever did come along that was strong enough to get some states in the Electoral College it might make it harder for either of the two major parties to get a majority in the EC and thus the election would get decided in the House of Representatives.  You might want to be careful what you're wishing for...

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, Estil said:

You do know that if a third party ever did come along that was strong enough to get some states in the Electoral College it might make it harder for either of the two major parties to get a majority in the EC and thus the election would get decided in the House of Representatives.  You might want to be careful what you're wishing for...

I have no clue what that means lol. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1