IGNORED

Game Debate #162: Road Rash

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

Road Rash was really unique and really laid down the foundation for a great car er up "bike-combat" series

Road Rash 2 is really where it hit, it's stride.  You had the iconic chain whip, a fun two player mode, and nitro bikes were stupid fun to use with the nitro bursts.

Road Rash (1994) had a lot more style and graphical upgrades.  But I think the main draw was the cd quality  soundtrack with Soundgarden's Rusty Cage being the theme song along with a bunch of other great 90s alternative bands like Monster Magnet and PAW.

Road Rash 3 expanded the weapons greatly, had extra modes, and a world tour.  But it also upgraded the cops, they got the paddywagon which could knock you off and instantly bust you and a helicopter which seemed impossible to outrun, it was kinda BS

Really underrated and forgotten series

My vote is based on fairly limited gameplay.  I have Road Rash for Game Gear which I've only played it once or twice so far and I also have Road Rash II for Genesis which I played casually at one time.  I've meant to get more into it for some time...

• Like 1

Road Rash is a series I've always enjoyed...but to be fair, the original entry isn't the best to go back to today, when almost every other title offers a superior experience. For someone dipping their toes for the first time, Road Rash 2 is probably the better choice. It's still one I'll boot up from time to time and I can enjoy it for what it is. I think it's deserving of at least a 6/10.

• Like 1

How many here have actually completed Road Rash on the Genesis?

I watched a Twitch streamer play through the first two games and they looked rough to actually beat. He said that the first Road Rash was the hardest game that he's played, and he beat Battletoads, Adventure Island series, Solar Jetman, and some other very difficult games. He also didn't enjoy it at all. The framerate did seem quite choppy making it hard to see obstacles in time to react.

And after all the effort you don't even get a real ending, the game just keeps going.

Edited by mbd39

I'm not going to claim to have put more than a days worth of hours on it, but I gave it a 5.  It's not a 5 because it's bad, it's just a 5 because of the very explicit reason up there next to the 5.

The game is ok.
I will not likely go out of my way to play it.

I didn't have a Genesis (Nomad & G3) until around 1997 or something of that sort so I wasn't there when it arrived, so if that is a big reason for the utter love of the franchise it will be lost on me.  When I have played it, in short bursts it's fun, and pretty interesting as I like to clock fools trying to pass me.  It's a more aggressive bat to face version of basically Mario Kart in a way or other combat racers, just more up front and personal.  But for me it gets a bit old after not much time, nice to do, but the courses don't just suck me in to keep going.  If it were an arcade machine I'd drop maybe 2-4 plays at best and walk away satisfied, but if I saw other games, and was down to a few dollars or less left, if the other games were favorites I'd go there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DefaultGen said:

I thought Road Rash on PC was THE COOLEST racing game as a kid. Now we live in a world of like Forza Horizon, Trackmania, Outrun 2, and all that, and I haven't thought about Road Rash in 20 years.

None of those let you smash another racer in the face with chain tho

41 minutes ago, LazerNipples said:

When I see so middling reviews on a classic Sega game it makes me think average joe grew up with Nintendo...

The Sega kids probably grew up and got so much tail they forgot what video games were 💩

Seg-do what ninten-don’t .

2 was just way better and more iconic in my memory of the series.  Mortal Kombat 2 is similarly just a better game than the first one.