IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Battletoads & Double Dragon

BeaIank

Generally speaking, while great graphics and great sound are not necessarily necessary to make a great game, I feel like Beat 'Em Ups almost have to have a great soundtrack, because (for me at least) it takes a bit more doin' to git gud at a Beat 'Em Up than say an Action Platformer, an Arcade Game or even a Puzzle or Sport Game.  Those are all generally simple enough to jump right in and have a good time right off the bat, but with Beat 'Em Ups I feel like marshaling sufficient skill has to happen before being able to really get anywhere in the game/have some fun with it.  And a good soundtrack really helps me to keep kickin' asses with some great tunes behind me.  Fortunately BT&DD has a great soundtrack.

6 hours ago, BeaIank said:

Current standings posted.

Not everyone finished without dying. Bearcat-Doug should have been ahead of jim and I when this was posted. I just updated with a clean run to move up a couple spots. But I am not attempting 999,999. Getting a clean run was tough enough. 

Events Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Not everyone finished without dying. Bearcat-Doug should have been ahead of jim and I when this was posted. I just updated with a clean run to move up a couple spots. But I am not attempting 999,999. Getting a clean run was tough enough. 

Fixed and updated. I will let the point farming pass this time.

• Like 1

Yeah, I just popped this in today and saw that you could put a guy through the floor infinitely since there is no timer.  I don't have the motivation for point-scumming on this one, so I'm just posting what your score would normally be after killing each guy as you get to him until 3-1.  Congrats to all the all-9'ers...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

57 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

PII did you point press at all? I was wondering what the max was w/o? using vegas trick. I was thinking it was around 350, but you clearer that and then some.

Nah, I was focused on trying to secure as many smash hits as possible plus whatever I could get out of a given enemy before smash hitting.  I don't think you can smash hit those flying guns that follow you, although I'm not certain.  Anyway, I had a couple of runs going that would have closed in on 400K which I had been hoping to break.  I'm almost certain that it's possible.  I don't think I was ever able to smash hit the level 2 boss.  Every time I tried he was in the air and I'd miss so there should be some points there but the funniest thing is the second string of spheres that appear when you're on the jetbike.  Various numbers of spheres that I counted this week are: 6, 12, 14 or 15 and 17.  I still have no idea what makes more or less of those manifest, but it helps to get a lot of course and missing one can be a run ender... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BeaIank said:

Should have made this BS of a game low score, but low score can get boring to play.

This game is not BS at all. It is actually very good and very dynamic which is uncommon for a beat em up style game. However at the same time I have always been kind of a sucker for any sort of fighting games

5 hours ago, PII said:

@NESfiend Good to see you back at it this week!

I'm surprised that @mbd39 did not post a score...

I think @mbd39 and @Richardhead not posting scores means you're the only one that can still beat me for the beat em up championship. Aren't you the one that usually skips Famicom games? The mediocre Famicom port of Yie Ar Kung Fu is going to decide the title. Math isn't my best skill, but I think I only need to finish third to guarantee a win.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug