IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Battletoads & Double Dragon

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Welcome mighty fighters. It is time to prove your strength and be toadly radical!

Pick your favourite fighter out of Billy, Jimmy, Rash, Zitz or Pimple and kick but around Battletoads & Double Dragon.

Here are the rules:

• Pick any character you want.
  • Play till you die for the first time or till you reach 3-1
  • Pause the game after you die or reach 3-1 and take your picture.
  • Highest progress + highest score wins
  • Genre: Beat'em up

The contest ends Sunday, 07/16/23 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

Events Team · Posted
1st BlackVega 3-1 - 999999
2nd PII 3-1 - 360400
3rd NESfiend 3-1 - 338150
4th Gloves 3-1 - 333650
5th Bearcat-Doug 3-1 - 220900
6th Dr. Morbis 3-1 - 198700
7th SuperJimtendo 2-3 - 282400
8th G-type 1-1 - 69500

Played this some last night. Nicely designed challenge, @BeaIank. Its challenging but should be doable to get through both levels without dying. But per usual, I got caught up point racking, which adds a LOT of challenge. Between racking and the points you can get on the bike things, there is way more room for score differentials than most beat em up challenges 

This was their answer to all the people who were saying "Why can't all of Battletoads just be like level 1?". Unfortunately its nowhere near as good as beat'em ups just get kind of boring after a while, even though they did try to put in a lot of zaniness like hammering guys through the floor and punching Abobo into outer space.

Events Team · Posted
18 minutes ago, G-type said:

This was their answer to all the people who were saying "Why can't all of Battletoads just be like level 1?". Unfortunately its nowhere near as good as beat'em ups just get kind of boring after a while, even though they did try to put in a lot of zaniness like hammering guys through the floor and punching Abobo into outer space.

And this' why I made it so that you only have to get to 3-1.
This game gets old very, very fast.

6 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Great score! I just hope I can finish in the top 5 or I'm probably going to have to win the Yie Ar Kung Fu contest to win the beat em up championship.

Thanx, yer sittin' pretty with back to back wins at the moment...

32 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

And this' why I made it so that you only have to get to 3-1.
This game gets old very, very fast.

I actually like level 3 quite a bit.  For a moment I was surprised you don't have us playing it as well, but only a moment...  For me it's that ridiculous level 4 that gets old fast - Pew!, pew!!, pew!! 

1 hour ago, G-type said:

I love a good beat em up, but the beat em up action is not the best part of Battletoads.

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

It sounds like you got a bad rom.

Went and got another ROM from a different source and... Same issue. 

Is anyone else using the Analogue NT Mini Noir? This is the first time experienced a game straight up not working on it, and it sucks cuz I could totally kick ass at this. 😞

Editorials Team · Posted
7 hours ago, G-type said:

Well, you have to make it to levels 3, 4, and 5 to see it really extend itself.

It's definitely not the outrageous series of ideas you see in Battletiads though.