IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Ski or die

BeaIank

4 hours ago, Gloves said:

I've not had a chance to play this yet due to my FIL being here for the week. We've been hanging out, went to the wharf for dinner last night, lovely stuff. No skiing for me 'til the weekend!

This seems like it might be a fun game if I had the time to actually get the hang of it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

This seems like it might be a fun game if I had the time to actually get the hang of it.

I'll take Atari skiing or downhill slalom in Winter Games over the downhill blitz event any day of the week. Sometimes adding a bunch of crap to a game just makes it worse.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:
6 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

So you're basically saying that @docile tapeworm looks like Skeletor?

Angry He Man GIF

I wish I was that muscular 

I opened up this miniature MOTU comic this evening for some quick and easy reading material to discover that Skeletor is:

A devoted practitioner of Yoga!

Must be how he keeps so trim... 

skeletor is buddhist.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, G-type said:

I'll take Atari skiing or downhill slalom in Winter Games over the downhill blitz event any day of the week. Sometimes adding a bunch of crap to a game just makes it worse.

I like Slalom better than the downhill blitz in this game. The controls just seem really bad no matter what setup I go with.

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I like Slalom better than the downhill blitz in this game. The controls just seem really bad no matter what setup I go with.

Aside from a slight delay in jumping and landing the control seems ok to me.  Also, his hit box seems generous in one instance and stingy in another; the former is fun to exploit and the latter just means knowing where/when to slow down...

Slalom seems like it would be a good contest game.

NES winter games really blew it.  I played it on C64 growing up.  Biathlon was my fav. which got left out of the port for the nes along with ski jumping..

6 hours ago, PII said:

NES winter games really blew it.  I played it on C64 growing up.  Biathlon was my fav. which got left out of the port for the nes along with ski jumping..

I've got a lot of experience with the NES library, and I would argue that Winter Games is hands down the worst port (non-original game) on the NES.  In fact, in terms of the entire library, it would be bottom 20 for sure...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

it would be bottom 20 for sure...

def. a contender for worst port.  Maybe something worse but I can't think of it off the top of my mind.  Whoever was responsible definitely pizza'd when they should have french fried.

RESULT: We all had a bad time.

...lotta cartoon references this week ...

Edited by PII
  • Haha 2

MINIATURE SKINNIATURE SCOREBOARD  VOL. 1

RichardWeed Van Tendergrass       -       56,571

PIIzza-PII/French-FrIIes       -       56,402

Mr. Dis Bro       -       39,599

Skiing Rocketeer       -       35,408  (seriously, the Rocketeer totally looks like he's skiing!)

SnowBoard Doug       -       21,557

O.G.-Type       -       8,544

Ninjitsu-Master-Part-Time-Calculator-Salesman       -       Appreciating dangerous extreme snowy sports from afar.

UltraSwoopy Jamison       -       Making cryptic remarks about Beefworm.

Beefworm       -       Selling his Ski or Die Cart instead of playing it.

Weed Leads!  PII flies right behind!  Morbo ahead of 4-bo!  Fiend in 4th!  All Bearcats can count up to 5!  6-Type!  Gloves - Far!  Jim - Vague!  Worm - Skiing in wrong direction!

Edited by PII
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I rented this all the time as a kid. I was terrible. To the point I didnt know I was terrible i.e. I thought the intertube challenge was a race. It has been so fun to spend a few hours figuring it all out and seeing how it was supposed to look. 

Which brings up another point I have made many times: We need to play some american gladiators. Its tremendous once you get it

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

Just now, Gloves said:

Haven't bothered to play at all this week. Moving into a house has been a ton of work and I've been constantly either busy moving stuff around or resting. My priorities took a huge shift after moving out here, at least so far. 

Moving destroys you mentally and physically. You will bounce back and start kicking our asses before we would like. Hang in there

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2023 at 7:39 AM, Richardhead said:

IMG_5481.jpeg

Daaammmmnnnn!!! Unbelievable score. Gotta hear how you mastered the half pipe. The manual doesnt give any help on landing tricks. Every time I thought I was getting somewhere Id crash out on a level 3 speed move. Well played!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Daaammmmnnnn!!! Unbelievable score. Gotta hear how you mastered the half pipe. The manual doesnt give any help on landing tricks. Every time I thought I was getting somewhere Id crash out on a level 3 speed move. Well played!

It’s about doing as many different tricks as possible to get the trick bonus high. I crashed a few times on that particular run. I did a lot of tricks off the moguls. 

• Like 1

Just now, Richardhead said:

It’s about doing as many different tricks as possible to get the trick bonus high. I crashed a few times on that particular run. I did a lot of tricks off the moguls. 

Can you consistently land the 3 speed flips and spins? I could do it here and there but nowhere near consistently 

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

Can you consistently land the 3 speed flips and spins? I could do it here and there but nowhere near consistently 

I can land them most of the time. Took some time to get the timing right. But once you got it it’s not terribly difficult. 
My least favorite part of this game is the snowball fight.