IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Ski or die

BeaIank

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Bring on the holders. @PII I know you are holden caulfield. Morbis may be lurking. Richie vowed to become a devout holder. 

I wasn't holding per say, just too busy playing to take the time for more than one final post.  

At any rate, I haven't read it, but I may have to take offense at being referred to as the narrator of Ergot in the rye, which I hear is one of the worst books ever written.... 😉 

...Looks like there were a few "too-cool-for-school-cats" out there this week who missed out on a fun game.  Def. my kind of Sports Game.  This was a fun week!  I actually managed a good balance between gettin' shit done and Playing this game which hasn't always been the case so far this year...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PII said:

...Looks like there were a few "too-cool-for-school-cats" out there this week who missed out on a fun game.  Def. my kind of Sports Game.  This was a fun week!  I actually managed a good balance between gettin' shit done and Playing this game which hasn't always been the case so far this year...

Almost all the sports games with 5-6 short events are great and work so well for points competitions. Most of them really need players to read the manual, which no one did. But that has kind of left these badass games there to be discovered right.  @the_wizard_666 would have loved this game. I made a hard push Saturday night and Sunday afternoon after a busy week. I don't think more time would have done much for me though. I felt pretty maxed on each event. Nice score!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

My least favorite part of this game is the snowball fight. 

What!?! I loved playing the snowball stage. I played it every now and then knowing I probably wasnt improving on score much, if at all. Maybe I am biased because its the only one I could halfway play as a kid.

But that gets back to how these mini game sports games were awesome. Mixing in a shooter type thing with skiing and snowboarding gives the ADD types like me a fun change of pace when desired

8 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Almost all the sports games with 5-6 short events are great and work so well for points competitions. Most of them really need players to read the manual, which no one did. But that has kind of left these badass games there to be discovered right.  @the_wizard_666 would have loved this game. I made a hard push Saturday night and Sunday afternoon after a busy week. I don't think more time would have done much for me though. I felt pretty maxed on each event. Nice score!

Yeah, Wiz coulda given Richie a run for his money if he'd been around.  I'm not quite on that level with sports games yet, but you and I had pretty respectable scores just the same.  Not trying to get retroactive points or anything but another feature that would enhance the competition would be to award additional points for the winner in each category.  That could get real fun/heated with a lot of people playing.

Yeah these multi-event sports titles are definitely great for competitions like this, the only downside is the extra dedication required to learn the controls, scoring and strats to each individual event, which usually inhibits participation.  I personally think this is a great game, and snowball is definitely my favourite, but man did it ever cramp up my thumbs...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

@the_wizard_666 would have loved this game.

While I'm sure that's true, the reason I'm out this year is because there wasn't a single game selected this year that piqued my interest.  Not one.  Also haven't played much NES at all this year, but that's another story altogether.

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah these multi-event sports titles are definitely great for competitions like this, the only downside is the extra dedication required to learn the controls, scoring and strats to each individual event, which usually inhibits participation.  I personally think this is a great game, and snowball is definitely my favourite, but man did it ever cramp up my thumbs...

I would have liked to gave given it a better effort, but I just didn't have time to learn all of the different events. It looks like I still made the top 5 even with a single attempt due to the low turnout.

9 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Crazy scores this week y'all. I doubt I would've even made top 5. I got 50k when we played last time and the top score was 62k.

https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview093e.html?catid=31&threadid=182463

This makes me feel a lot less delusional and stupid that I thought my 3rd place 71k was going to be good enough to win it. @Richardhead posting 103 made me feel like I belong in the kiddie pool. Has anyone looked up world record? Richie may have one here

• The topic was unpinned