IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Ninja Gaiden 2

BeaIank

2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Richardhead just keep playing YOUR WAY. I used to grind grind grind myself into the ground to get the best score….found myself getting burnt out. Now I just play casual and if I naturally get vested I grind for the win IF IM STILL HAVING FUN IN THE PROCESS. Final placement is the byproduct of my enjoyment now days.

I know that. I just play to have a good time and beat @Bearcat-Doug. Who just keeps kicking my ass.
I call out the Doctor because he just irritates me with his rule gripes.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

I know that. I just play to have a good time and beat @Bearcat-Doug. Who just keeps kicking my ass.
I call out the Doctor because he just irritates me with his rule gripes.

Well I mean meerkat is an og favorite for sure

and morphius needs tomatoes thrown at him sometimes

21 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You're right for games like Mega Mans, but I honestly think killing guys in the Ninja Gaidens is usually much faster and getting hit intentionally would only be used when it advances your character faster than running would, which is probably not very often in the NG's.

Idk I feel like I watched a speed run where a good amount was taking hits on purpose. I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

Idk I feel like I watched a speed run where a good amount was taking hits on purpose. I could be wrong.

Well I don't think we'd be working at that high of a level.  The Ninja Gaiden's are designed so well that you can't help but want to kill everything in your path with a single slash, and running as fast as you can makes it even more enjoyable.  Mega Mans and many other games have bullet-sponge enemies but Tecmo got it right with the "one hit kills everything except bosses" game design...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well I don't think we'd be working at that high of a level.  The Ninja Gaiden's are designed so well that you can't help but want to kill everything in your path with a single slash, and running as fast as you can makes it even more enjoyable.  Mega Mans and many other games have bullet-sponge enemies but Tecmo got it right with the "one hit kills everything except bosses" game design...

Dude NG is so satisfying. What a great game. Like you said the gameplay makes you want to go as fast as you can slashing everything!

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Did you go back and grind out a score to top mine or have you been holding that score for a while?  Either way, congrats on second.  I'm happy with third, assuming no one comes out of the woodwork in the last half hour...

Thanks, your score is good as well, particularly for someone who did little to no grinding.  I was not holding it.  I was having trouble pushing past a 377K score that I hadn't posted until I realized something pretty obvious that I'd been chronically missing that made it easy enough to add another 25K.  Phew!

7 minutes ago, PII said:

Thanks, your score is good as well, particularly for someone who did little to no grinding.  I was not holding it.  I was having trouble pushing past a 377K score that I hadn't posted until I realized something pretty obvious that I'd been chronically missing that made it easy enough to add another 25K.  Phew!

Yeah, I realized that the timer resets after the train, so if I had been really into it all week, I would've looked for a good spot to grind down the timer on 2-2 as well as 2-1, but as it was I already had enough points to (hopefully) podium, so I said fuck it, I'm done.

3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

It’s fine *wipes tears* it’s fine. I understand. It’s not like nobody prefers my idea of the original unofficial scoreboard…..right?….RIGHT?! *starts to bawl 🥺😩😭

You are the Orville and Wilbur Wright of Miniature Scoreboard Creation. 😉  

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, I realized that the timer resets after the train, so if I had been really into it all week, I would've looked for a good spot to grind down the timer on 2-2 as well as 2-1, but as it was I already had enough points to (hopefully) podium, so I said fuck it, I'm done.

The only spot that might have been worth it on 2-2 was the beginning of the 2nd area w/ a bunch of enemies and a thingy that refills your ninjutsu points.  I found it rather troublesome though.  Pretty sure now I was doing something similar to ol' Glovsie although I think he was doing a lot of slash-jumping which I was not, along with jump-slashing certain enemies, which I was not so much doing either...