IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Ninja Gaiden 2

BeaIank

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah I agree, and I actually think the first two Ninja Gaidens are excellent candidates for speed run competitions, but it seems that participation goes way down once people have to submit videos of their runs...

Just now, BeaIank said:

Yeah, I was wary of making this a speed run due to that.
This' prime candidate for speed run rules. It would work perfectly. But video is a no-no for a lot of people, sadly.

The only thing I don’t like about speed run is the pacifist play style where you just taking hits not even trying to take out the enemy on account it would slow your run down.

we play honor system on scrolling shooters. We could apply the same ask here. One life progress l/high score don’t farm shit.

1 minute ago, BeaIank said:

Yeah, I was wary of making this a speed run due to that.
This' prime candidate for speed run rules. It would work perfectly. But video is a no-no for a lot of people, sadly.

A hybrid furthest progress photo with lowest time by video as the tie-breaker might work.  We tried that with Castlevania but only PII and I submitted videos and the rules weren't cemented until later in the week.  But if you tried that rule-set from the start it might work...

1 minute ago, Richardhead said:

Bea should start a speed run contest for the doctor. 
we can call it “The Doctor speed runs weekly contest”.

If I singled you out and went after you like you're doing to me, you'd be rage-quitting after the first two posts and probably wouldn't come back for a decade.  "Just saying"   😉

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

The only thing I don’t like about speed run is the pacifist play style where you just taking hits not even trying to take out the enemy on account it would slow your run down.

One of the things I do in my run is to jump and attack right after the jump so I kill the guys I would otherwise jump over. 100 extra points in the bag, baybeeee.

• Agree 1

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

If I singled you out and went after you like you're doing to me, you'd be rage-quitting after the first two posts and probably wouldn't come back for a decade.  "Just saying"   😉

Been there fella. Single me out if you want. 
I’ll call you out all day for complaining aboot rules on the last day of the competition.😜

Events Team · Posted

Also, I am 100% open to criticism on my rule set, specially now when I can play the games to try it.
I tried something this week, didn't quite work as expected, will try to find a better solution next time.

And we have Battletoads Double Dragon coming up. I HATE that game. I will have to figure out something that isn't boring as hell for it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

One of the things I do in my run is to jump and attack right after the jump so I kill the guys I would otherwise jump over. 100 extra points in the bag, baybeeee.

That’s my favorite. I’ll literally start jumping around the house saying “hi ya”. It’s such a gratifying move.

Just now, BeaIank said:

Also, I am 100% open to criticism on my rule set, specially now when I can play the games to try it.
I tried something this week, didn't quite work as expected, will try to find a better solution next time.

And we have Battletoads Double Dragon coming up. I HATE that game. I will have to figure out something that isn't boring as hell for it.

I’m sure the doctor has a good rule set.

Administrator · Posted
Just now, docile tapeworm said:

@Gloves but there are some parts of the game where your literally just taking hits bouncing off enemies because it’s actually the faster way.

Yeah the generous invincibility frames I imagine are part of the overall speed, taking damage to skip damage or difficult platforming.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Been there fella. Single me out if you want.

Naw, you talk tough but have a really thin skin.  One time I made a joke about how guys emulating weren't as legit as the guys playing on console, and you pulled your picture and didn't post another score until the next season.  So I've gotta tread lightly with delicate flowers like you.  Say all you want about me moving forward, but this will be the last time I mention you directly so as to not accidentally scare you away...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Speed run is cool I just think you should have to destroy every generated enemy at least once.

You're right for games like Mega Mans, but I honestly think killing guys in the Ninja Gaidens is usually much faster and getting hit intentionally would only be used when it advances your character faster than running would, which is probably not very often in the NG's.

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Naw, you talk tough but have a really thin skin.  One time I made a joke about how guys emulating weren't as legit as the guys playing on console, and you pulled your picture and didn't post another score until the next season.  So I've gotta tread lightly with delicate flowers like you.  Say all you want about me moving forward, but this will be the last time I mention you directly so as to not accidentally scare you away...

That’s harsh. Maybe I should leave for good.

@Richardhead just keep playing YOUR WAY. I used to grind grind grind myself into the ground to get the best score….found myself getting burnt out. Now I just play casual and if I naturally get vested I grind for the win IF IM STILL HAVING FUN IN THE PROCESS. Final placement is the byproduct of my enjoyment now days.

• Like 1