IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Ninja Gaiden 2

BeaIank

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

I spent less than 2 hours total playing Ninja Gaiden this week. 😄

That’s exactly my point here. 
you are a badass. The doctor is a badass. There are a few other bad ass motherfuckers here….

Us common folk like to play for a few hours and have a decent score. For someone to come in and say the rules should be like be this or that is a bit degrading. Maybe the Doctor should start his own elite contest. Seeing as he is so much better than most of us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PII said:

What's this?  Is someone 'Cramping Skinny's Style' with their own random-ass Story....?

Anyway, that is weird, both dry and undercooked.  Ideal would be to complain, get money back; continue eating wings...

Well then seems I owe you an apology and a thank you there funny.

24 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Okay, I spend a couple of hours with this, and I've got to say: I really hate point-scumming  competitions 🤮   Wouldn't furthest progress on one life have been waaaaaaaaaay more fun and interesting, not to mention more challenging?  Then highest score could have been used as the tie-breaker if multiple people made it to the final boss screen or some other section.  Am I crazy here or do all y'all just love the shit out of killing the same jumping ninjas over and over and over again ad infinitum?  Hello?!?  Bueller??!?!?!!!!

I prefer progress with HS as a tie breaker, generally; as it's more fun/daring/challenging than point scumming usually is, although depending on the game, farming points can be fun too, to have to figure and execute.  As always lately I'm sure the deciding factor here was time required for a run to be relatively short...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

ell then seems I owe you an apology and a thank you there funny.

Nah, you don't owe me nuffin'.  And of course you are more than welcome to beat me to the punch and put up the og minni-skinny scoreboard any time you want.  I'm pretty sure there's a lot more flavors you could make me...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PII said:

Nah, you don't owe me nuffin'.  And of course you are more than welcome to beat me to the punch and put up the og minni-skinny scoreboard any time you want.  I'm pretty sure there's a lot more flavors you could make me...

I prefer the Pii salad scoreboard to the mini skinny scoreboard 😂

• Wow! 1

Just now, Richardhead said:

you are a badass. The doctor is a badass. There are a few other bad ass motherfuckers here….

Us common folk like to play for a few hours and have a decent score. For someone to come in and say the rules should be like be this or that is a bit degrading. Maybe the Doctor should start his own elite contest. Seeing as he is so much better than most of us. 

You can’t discriminate against the bad asses though! 

Sometimes I’m like fuuuuuu if I wanna beat the human calculator I’m gonnna have to have the run of my life and need him to falter a bit. During iso warrior I felt pretty good only to have gloves tell me the rng blessed him like some holier than holys! But at the end of the day when I lay my little skinny head down on my flat pillow to wake up in 5 hours and stare at the clock until it’s time to go to work. I know I just got beat by a better player and that’s ok.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BeaIank said:

The run time being short was definitely the key. I don't want people to spend a fucking hour playing Ninja Gaiden to get a run in.
We don't have that kind of time anymore.

True story!

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

You can’t discriminate against the bad asses though! 

Sometimes I’m like fuuuuuu if I wanna beat the human calculator I’m gonnna have to have the run of my life and need him to falter a bit. During iso warrior I felt pretty good only to have gloves tell me the rng blessed him like some holier than holys! But at the end of the day when I lay my little skinny head down on my flat pillow to wake up in 5 hours and stare at the clock until it’s time to go to work. I know I just got beat by a better player and that’s ok.

Yup. Just don’t need some doctor saying the rules are busted while he proceeds to kick my ass. Especially when i and others put in more than a few hours…

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PII said:

1 minute ago, Richardhead said:

I still love ya Skinny.😁

It’s fine *wipes tears* it’s fine. I understand. It’s not like nobody prefers my idea of the original unofficial scoreboard…..right?….RIGHT?! *starts to bawl 🥺😩😭

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

The run time being short was definitely the key. I don't want people to spend a fucking hour playing Ninja Gaiden to get a run in.
We don't have that kind of time anymore.

Does it even take an hour to no-death Ninja Gaiden 2?

14 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

I'm not anywhere near first place; if it has to be point-scumming, can it at least be on a single life instead of over the course of three lives of doing the same thing?  If I wanted to get first, I would go to youtube and watch videos and meticulously play through each level up to 3-1 and find out exactly where gloves found his lucrative spot, but I figured I could get on the podium if I just spent a little time finding a couple jumping ninjas that worked for me so I could throw up a decent score.  The law of diminishing returns says that to go from a second or third place finish to a first place finish would take inordinantly more work than it's worth (to me).  I'm not trying to be elitist, I'm just saying that it would be cool if we could have rule-sets that don't require copious farming of the same enemy over and over till time runs out...

2 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Maybe someone should start a new weekly contest with better rules. Then Bea could retire and not have to deal with all of her children complaining aboot her rules 😂

Bea's doing an excellent job, but that doesn't mean we can't talk about ways to make things even better.  And I agree with her point about all of us having limited time, but Isolated Warrior takes way longer to finish than NG2, and yet it had the far better rules.  NG2 probably takes half hour or less to finish, meaning it's a perfect candidate for a one life progress competition...

@Dr. Morbis @Richardhead I’d actually like to see in a scenario such as ninja gaiden. where it’s an absolute classic that we must play but the scoring is broken as a mother so much that you would have to run pacifist and seriously that just rips the soul out of a game like this where you are supposed to destroy.

id like to see one life, progress, must destroy every enemy only once.

• Agree 1

Events Team · Posted

I couldn't see a way to make faster rules for Isolated Warriors in a way that wouldn't ruin the experience of such fine, underrated game.
But for Ninja Gaiden 2 I wanted something that could be done in 15 minutes. I will figure something better next time a Ninja Gaiden game shows up.

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

Bea's doing an excellent job, but that doesn't mean we can't talk about ways to make things even better.  And I agree with her point about all of us having limited time, but Isolated Warrior takes way longer to finish than NG2, and yet it had the far better rules.  NG2 probably takes half hour or less to finish, meaning it's a perfect candidate for a one life progress competition...

It takes you half hour or less. 
like I said, maybe you should start your own weekly contest and have a rule set that you like.

just sayin’

2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Dr. Morbis @Richardhead I’d actually like to see in a scenario such as ninja gaiden. where it’s an absolute classic that we must play but the scoring is broken as a mother so much that you would have to run pacifist and seriously that just rips the soul out of a game like this where you are supposed to destroy.

id like to see one life, progress, must destroy every enemy only once.

Yeah I agree, and I actually think the first two Ninja Gaidens are excellent candidates for speed run competitions, but it seems that participation goes way down once people have to submit videos of their runs...