IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Ninja Gaiden 2

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Welcome, players.

This week your ninja skills will be tested in Ninja Gaiden 2.
The rules are as follow:

• Play till stage 3-1
  • Pause the game at stage 3-1 and take the picture of your score
  • You must reach stage 3-1
  • You must pick the extra life at 2-2, but you can only do it the first time you reach 2-2.
  • You are allowed to burn up to 2 lives. So you can die twice during your run. You die a third time, your run is done and you don't have a score.
  • Highest score wins
  • Genre: Action

The contest ends Sunday, 06/18/23 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

Events Team · Posted
1st Gloves 546,800
2nd PII 406,500
3rd Dr. Morbis 385,100
4th mbd39 321,800
5th Richardhead 303,300
6th NESfiend 257,400
7th Bearcat-Doug 227,800
8th G-type 142,600
9th SuperJimtendo 132,100
10th docile tapeworm 123,600

I'd prefer Low score since we haven't done one in the time I've been participating so it would be a nice change of pace.  But if it's high score then one life is much preferred.

SCORE EDIT - I really hate point-scumming, so this is my final score: 385,100

NG2.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis

4 hours ago, mbd39 said:

High score is more fun than waiting out the timer.

Aren't the Ninja Gay-dens broken for high score due to how enemies spawn?  It's been a while but I seem to remember that you can just move the screen back and forth to respawn any enemy since they spawn based on screen position and nothing else.  If that's the case, having to kill the same enemy 500 times seems a whole lot more tedious to me than having to wait out a timer...

• Disagree 1

Events Team · Posted

Since every 10 seconds of time is worth 900 points at the boss defeat and I couldn't find a single enemy that was worth more than 300 points up to Stage 3-1 in the runs I watched, we will do highest score for this one.

Farming enemies won't be worth it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Since every 10 seconds of time is worth 900 points at the boss defeat and I couldn't find a single enemy that was worth more than 300 points up to Stage 3-1 in the runs I watched, we will do highest score for this one.

Farming enemies won't be worth it.

Are we playing the whole game now or still just up to 3-1?

I thought we'd be speedrunning this for sure...

Edited by PII