IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Ninja Gaiden 2

BeaIank

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, BeaIank said:

Still up to 3-1.

It will be a challenge to find who will master stages 1 and 2 best in terms of score.

Also, I don't remember there being any extra life till 3-2, so I think I will allow one to burn lives.

There's an extra life in 2-2, it's easily accessible. 

12 hours ago, NESfiend said:
13 hours ago, PII said:

Unless I'm mistaken I just burned 2 lives and finished with P-2.... 

Unless I'm mistaken, you did not post that score. You holdin' pizza man? Holdin' is weak

Ok, just figured out the discrepancy.  In addition to the extra life available on 2-2 the program awards an extra life at 100K. So if you get both of those extra lives and burn 2 lives you finish at P-2 rather than P-1.

Also, (NESfiend) I presume you're just goofin' 🤪 but just for the record you're scoldin' for holdin' on Monday morning.  And I typicallly put up more progress scores than anybody on any given week when I'm going the distance! 

EDIT: @BeaIank There is also an extra life awarded at 200K so burning only 2 lives would most likely leave one with P-3 at the end.... 

However, it seems that whether or not burning/accumulating is efficient enough to rack points indefinitely will depend on a more specific ruleset.  

Per the current rules is the run over when one hits P-0 or P-1 respectively or does one simply have to have the correct amount of lives remaining at the end?  I've been presuming the former but If it's the latter then it looks like point racking indefinitely might be possible and if it's the former not possible, but therein lies another question:

If one burns lives prior to to the opportunity to get the extra life on 2-2 are they able to play down to P-0 up until that point and only after getting that particular extra life the rule changes to P-1?

It seems to me then that a run must end if one hits P-1 and presuming one hits 200K they would either have P-2 or P-3 left depending on whether or not that extra life on 2-2 is collected.

Edited by PII

4 hours ago, PII said:

Ok, just figured out the discrepancy.  In addition to the extra life available on 2-2 the program awards an extra life at 100K. So if you get both of those extra lives and burn 2 lives you finish at P-2 rather than P-1.

It's like the extra lives issue from the last contest is running over into this week. Poor @Richardhead is gonna have a nervous breakdown. 😂

Events Team · Posted
10 hours ago, PII said:

Also, (NESfiend) I presume you're just goofin' 🤪 but just for the record you're scoldin' for holdin' on Monday morning.  And I typicallly put up more progress scores than anybody on any given week when I'm going the distance! 

EDIT: @BeaIank There is also an extra life awarded at 200K so burning only 2 lives would most likely leave one with P-3 at the end.... 

However, it seems that whether or not burning/accumulating is efficient enough to rack points indefinitely will depend on a more specific ruleset.  

Per the current rules is the run over when one hits P-0 or P-1 respectively or does one simply have to have the correct amount of lives remaining at the end?  I've been presuming the former but If it's the latter then it looks like point racking indefinitely might be possible and if it's the former not possible, but therein lies another question:

If one burns lives prior to to the opportunity to get the extra life on 2-2 are they able to play down to P-0 up until that point and only after getting that particular extra life the rule changes to P-1?

It seems to me then that a run must end if one hits P-1 and presuming one hits 200K they would either have P-2 or P-3 left depending on whether or not that extra life on 2-2 is collected.

You can burn two lives and that is it. And I will make it so that you must pick the life at 2-2, but only once if you decide to farm 2-2.

I will be relying on the honour system for this one, but you got two lives to use to farm points. Use them wisely. You need to reach 3-1 within your third life or your run is invalid. If needed, I will privately require video proof of a run if it looks suspicious.

6 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

You can burn two lives and that is it. And I will make it so that you must pick the life at 2-2, but only once if you decide to farm 2-2.

I will be relying on the honour system for this one, but you got two lives to use to farm points. Use them wisely. You need to reach 3-1 within your third life or your run is invalid. If needed, I will privately require video proof of a run if it looks suspicious.

That all sounds good, but does a run end if it reaches P-1 then or.....?

10 hours ago, PII said:

I was just kidding around, but I strongly encourage scoldin for holdin. The threads are more fun and active when people are posting and updating throughout the week. The hold your score for Sunday strat is for the birds. Not like there is cash on the line. My whole life is competition - this is the fun part. 

Cheers to richie for posting a real score early. Will give me something to shoot for after I came up just short of him on renegade last night. Stock up your greenery, rich. Im coming for your score! Slowly, though, lol. I dont have a score up because I died on 2-2 the couple runs I got in last night. The wind blows - ha. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I was just kidding around, but I strongly encourage scoldin for holdin. The threads are more fun and active when people are posting and updating throughout the week. The hold your score for Sunday strat is for the birds. Not like there is cash on the line. My whole life is competition - this is the fun part. 

I definitely agree.  It's generally a lot more fun to put up my best Day 1 score and then update from there on a daily basis.  Only exception really is when a game is going to take a whole lot of playthroughs and updating every score would run into "scores" of updates.  ...and then once in the even more rare while that things get especially neck and neck at the end of the week...

6 minutes ago, BeaIank said:
21 minutes ago, PII said:

That all sounds good, but does a run end if it reaches P-1 then or.....?

The run ends at 3-1. If you can't make to 3-1 after burning 2 lives, you don't have a run.

What I meant was: How many lives can one loose before one must stop?  Down to 1 life (P-1) ???  In other words can I be down to 1 life and keep playing?

Events Team · Posted

You can be down to P-0 and keep playing if you burned P-2 and P-1. Or down to P-1 if you burned P-2, got back to P-2 and died again. And so on. You can die twice. That's it.
Now, if you lose your third life, you're done. You have to reach stage 3-1 by your third life or you don't have a score.

I will trust the players honour that they will only die twice in their run. We have relied on the honour system before it worked.