IGNORED

Game Debate #156: Yoshi's Cookie

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

It's a great game, but not quite truly great which by the poll here makes it very good.

It's not that game mechanics themselves do anything wrong exactly, but it's what it doesn't get right which is any form of a difficulty curve really to where it just gets boring after awhile until you stop.  It's not like where it gets nasty but doable with Tetris or Dr Mario and their type, and it's not a garbage title like Yoshi which just doesn't work well at all.

It's like there, better than present, but not awesome enough to keep you going after awhile.

It sucks.

What makes a puzzle game good? The zen of recognizing and clearing patterns to sweet tunes in Lumines? The increasingly tense precision sharpshooting of Bust-a-move? High speed balancing risk/reward/RNG in Tetris as you try to set up Tetrises without blocking yourself out? Setting up an insane 12-chain combo in Puyo Puyo that decimates your opponent?

What does Yoshi's Cookie have to give me the dopamine? It's a grandma game.

Edited by DefaultGen

54 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Did anyone actually ever play this?

Yea, when my mom got me a Game Boy, the first two games I had were Dr. Mario and Yoshi Cookie. So I did play it a lot. I'm not voting in this poll since it's the NES game and I'm talking about the Game Boy version, even though it's the same game. But when you are 9 and only have two games, it's pretty good.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

Did anyone actually ever play this?

I've had it off and on over the years second hand, always real cheap to pick up or with other games.  The only one I have now is part of the Nintendo Puzzle Collection on the GC (JP release) and it's the nicest rendition of it from an audio visual side, plays all the same though.  Fun, until it gets boring for overstaying its welcome.

7/10

image.jpeg.018435eeac39166bbe997fa77959e9af.jpeg

image.jpeg.83ac725c36b34a93847382b08a7a0061.jpeg

It's all right. I like it enough that I want to keep it in my collection and play it on occasion. I played the NES version when I was a kid. I've had the NES version for years and bought the Japanese release of the Game Boy version in 2021. I've also had Nintendo Puzzle Collection for GameCube for over a decade now.

I like the soundtrack in the GameCube version, and uploaded it onto YouTube along with the Hudson Selection versions of Bonk's Adventure and Adventure Island. I've also thought about playing Nintendo Puzzle Collection with four players. Only problem is that I can't see my friends very often nowadays due to our schedules. And one of them doesn't like puzzle games much (though he and I did play the unused two player mode in the Nintendo NES version of Tetris a few years ago). 

image.jpeg.e6a92dc52328fc6621d21d7d764d50d2.jpeg

Edited by MegaMan52

I had this and "Yoshi" on NES as a little kid.

The problem with Yoshi Cookie is that it's only fun in multiplayer. If you can get some people to play with, it's one of the funniest games to screw your friends over, and it's incredibly fun. I have a ton of great memories playing it with my brothers when we were little and weren't so concerned about who won.

The game's entire mechanics were built around sending distractions over to your opponents to mess with them, and it's so joyless without that layer of chaos. In single player it's painfully dull and not worth playing.

You should all try and find footage of the game's multiplayer mode if you've never seen it, since it's where the real action is. It's kind of like Bomberman where people don't really play Yoshi Cookie for single player.

Edited by SailingWiimote