IGNORED

Featured Member May 2023: Renmauzo

Splain

Editorials Team · Posted

FJaGRV9.png

Thanks @Renmauzo, here we gooooooo

Tell us about your username and profile pic!
I'll start with my profile pic since that's simple: it's me on my wedding night when my wife asked my to pose for her; I love that shirt, tie and vest...I'm partial to pin-striping.

As for my username, I'm a little embarrassed to say, but it's a misspelling. Xenogears is my favourite game of all time and resonated with Billy - in particular - in the game. There are a number of beats here: I come from a religious family but found myself having doubts about the fallibility of religious organizations, I love archery, and I always play the sniper in games where that's an option (I'm unstoppable with a sniper rifle in Ghost Recon), so Renmazuo being the Chinese for Sagittarius seemed like a good fit. 

...and then I goofed it all up by spelling it wrong for my gamertag. I decided to keep it this way so it would be the same anywhere I use the screen name.   

Where do you live? I live in Prince Edward Island, Canada. The island is actually/originally called Abegweit - which means 'Cradled on the waves' - by our First Nations peoples, and I really hope we can get the name officially reverted.

I love it here. The coast is just minutes from anywhere you might be, people are friendly and kind, and it's quiet (only just over 130k people in the province). That said, the food and culture is amazing, and there are always festivals and events happening throughout the year. When my wife said, "what do you think about moving to P.E.I,?", I said "let's do it" even though I'd never been. It really is a wonderful little island!

How did you first get into video games?
My parents wanted to play NES, so they bought one under the guise of being a birthday gift for my sister and I (we're 4 years apart and our birthdays are only 4 days apart) but they had to buy the core version with no game..,and borrowed that money from my grandparents, so my first game was Q-Bert; we just rented from time to time after that until my Mom bought me a copy of Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa!! with a converter taped to it from our local rental store. She later told me she bought that game because I kept wanting to re-rent it. I've loved video games ever since and have kept everything I've bought from that point on (which wasn't much until the mid/late 90s)

Do you prefer to collect games or play them?
Both. I love collecting games but only buy what I intend to play. I only buy CIB and try to get the best condition I can. I grew up poor and worked when I was a kid (under the table) but that money went to helping my parents keep the family afloat, so getting a game was an absolute event. That's carried through to my adult years in that buying CIB makes every new purchase feel like an event just like when I was younger. There's a ceremony to marvelling at the package, opening the game, reading all the paperwork (yes, for me, even the advertisements), and caring for the game. I remember the story of every game I've picked up and those stories have just as much value to me as the gameplay.

I play when I can and am in the mood. I don't like to force playing a game, but when I commit to a play session, I commit. I can lose a day to Harvest Moon without realizing it, so I have to keep that in mind when I set aside time to play games.

What's your collection look like? Any juicy pics?
I have a kid's bedroom to work with since I didn't want to do the basement thing, so everything is put together around the idea of maximizing space while being functional and aesthetically pleasing. My main thing though was trying to convey the wonder and excitement of going to the store like TrU as a kid. I built a hanging display rack to face games that I think have cool box art, and set up an 'end cap' style display with consoles, accessories, and a recessed monitor running old video game commercials on loop. At night in particular, the room looks pretty cool. I've included a few pics, but they're from October 2022, so there have been some minor changes and a decent number of additions. The Neo Geo Big Red and Switch games are in the sitting room...I just couldn't Tetris that space problem away.

4FSBm8TvSPqhzwy4Ijc3xg.thumb.jpg.0b55310bf60ff4aacfa76384015a07bb.jpg

Kn7-TwxbTOeM_BoacRiVZw.jpg.64b06046fc5f3d16e717e96205b2f046.jpg

i43k1HFBSaCIkYH5Vs-N3A.thumb.jpg.30d4cf9e8bf37b46591432385ee632b9.jpg

Rmnnt-TLRwa1ZIbSLJg2YQ.jpg.efd98bdeaa179d34fc3bf6af97b87e3f.jpg

uSxc1ZCORVCLi9u7ZLjByw.thumb.jpg.934a4dec0640cb8bb598f6f86768b5f0.jpg

Great collection! Is there an end in sight?
Thanks! It's been a labour of love. The end is in sight, thankfully, which I only say because cost has really slowed my progress so close to the finish line. Currently, my remaining list is at 124 games, but I do add things as I discover them, although, this happens far less than it used to. There are a couple of kiosks and a few signs that I want to get, but I'll be saving that until the end unless a great opportunity comes up in the meantime. I've been enjoying the journey, and I love sharing gaming with anyone interested (playing and/or collecting games).

How many consoles do you own?
Hmmm, probably too many since I have variants (but I -pretty much - use them all), or doubles (handhelds) for multiplayer purposes like GBAs and NGPCs. I also have a dream of creating a cross section of a World of Nintendo department store display at some point, so I've picked up - for example - multiple CIB SNES consoles amongst others.

Which of your consoles gets the most playtime?
These days, it's a pretty even split between Saturn and Switch; I love the shoot 'em ups, but they don't love me...it's an unhealthy relationship, lol. I do play everything at least a little though 😉

What are the best games of all time?
Broader answer: whatever resonates with the player; everyone's 'best games' is different and I respect that. The 'Just-me' answer: Games with stories that captivate me, music that moves me, colour choices that spark the imagination and set the mood, and control that is finely tuned.

Expertly crafted pixel art and animation gives me the warm and fuzzies.

What game has the best pixel art?
Hmm...that's a tough one...SFIII and Mark of the Wolves still blow me away...oh, but Metal Slug...and Mega Man 8...argh, too many beautiful games!!!

What are your specific top 5 games of all time?
1. Xenogears
: This story really made me reflect in a way that no other games has, let alone other pieces of media. I love everything about the composition of this experience, so much so that I used to buy up Greatest Hits copies whenever I had a spare $40 in my pocket back in college and would give them away to anyone who seemed interested, just so they could experience this masterpiece for themselves. It got me into reading some of the great philosophical works, and made me look at myself with a critical lens in a way I'd avoided up to that point. A lot has been said about the second disc over the years, but I'm grateful for what we got, not what had to be left of the cutting room floor due to budget and time.

This game is so important to me, I did the thing that many do with Zelda games and made a small section in the game room for all things Xenogears.

2. Chrono Trigger: The first game I bought with money I'd put together that didn't end up with my parents. There is a deeper philosophical discussion to be had with this game, but the level of polish and fun along with the kiddie Toriyama designs seems to have largely overshadowed the deeper conversation that can be had. I've ended up with a few CIB copies of this one on SNES because I love it so much!

3. Mega Man X: My favourite Mega Man game, and one I can speed run because of the reps I've put in over the years just because I can play it anytime and love every run as much as the first. I create challenges for myself when I play to make each play-through interesting. I'm a big fan of the story, so when the Day of Sigma OVA came out, I was on cloud 9. Between you and me, if I ever win the lottery, one of my dreams is to approach Capcom about funding a Mega Man X anime series that tells the story in the vein of the DoS OVA. I would also connect JKB games with Capcom to make Mega Man X: Corrupted the official MMX9 which I need in my life.

4. Final Fantasy Tactics: My first PlayStation game, and my favourite. Matsuno is a genius, Ivalice is brilliant, and tactical games are awesome; shout out to Tactics Ogre Reborn because these two could be interchangeable for me at the 4 spot depending on when you ask me.

5. Last of Us 2: I love the original, and Last of Us 2 just took it to another emotional level for me. The set pieces, the game play, the music, the dialogue and story, this is a masterpiece. I've played this one a number of times and it never gets old just like the original. When Part 3 eventually happens, I truly believe that the series will go down as one of the greatest of all time.

P.S.: I won't break the rule of 5, but I'd be remiss in not mentioning my love for the Horizon Zero Dawn games and Deus Ex: Human Revolution / Mankind Divided; incredible story, characters and atmosphere all around.

Who does what Nintendon't?
SNK. I'm a big Neo Geo fan and that library is such a unique experience as far as I'm concerned.

What's the most fun you've ever had playing video games?
I'm going to cheat with two: Last Christmas, watching my brother and son lose their minds as I dominated a couple of levels and Mavericks in Mega Man X without looking at the tv; I'm REALLY good at MMX on SNES.

The other was my friend/roommate and I playing the Outrun 2 arcade machine at Metrotown in Burnaby, BC (back when i lived on the west coast). We used to play so much Outrun, Forza, Initial D Special Stage, Wnagan Midnight and Gran Turismo 5 that we were really good at racing and fiercely competitive. That day at the arcade though, we went head to head and the battle was long enough and so neck-and-neck that we drew a small crowd. That was awesome.

What's the most fun you've ever had NOT playing video games?
Man, playing for a thousand people, having a game where it felt like I just couldn't miss (not the norm, I assure you...I did a lot of missing...playing defense was my thing), racing my STI on the Sea-to-Sky highway from West Vancouver up to Whistler, B.C...all exhilarating moments, but jamming with my daughter - just bass and her on drums - was like magic when she got in the pocket...I couldn't have been more proud of my little girl!

What do you do for a living?
This one's secret. I'm not trying to play at being mysterious, I'm just not allowed to talk about it unfortunately.

oooohh...

Do you have a spouse/kids?
I do! My wife, Tarna, is super cool and enjoys games amongst a myriad of other hobbies. My son, Drake, is 12 and thinks retro games are boring (I think he's just sour grapes because I have to carry him in Super Mario World), and is all about the computer and machines like his Mom. Then there's my oldest daughter, Quorra...my 8 year old who acts older than her brother and is a creative whirlwind taking after me; she's always drawing or crafting something, and is learning the drums like her old man *sniff*. Our youngest daughter, Morgan, passed away after birth. I don't bring this up looking for pity, but because we celebrate her always, she is always in our thoughts, and deserves to be mentioned with her brother and sister.

Absolutely she does. You play the drums! How long? Do you have a band?
I've been playing for about 22 years, but that's actually not my main 'instrument'. I started my music career as a vocalist which is still my main, learned how to play guitar so that I could play and sing (and have been playing since the mid 90s), picked up harmonica because I love the blues, then learned bass and made it a point to really excel with that.

While I don't have a band anymore, the band I was in almost got signed by Sony records back in 1999, but the deal fell apart because we were told we wouldn't last (our guitar and bass player were into drugs and partying); they were right, because we broke up shortly thereafter with the drummer and I trying to get those two to practice and into the studio. It's all good though, touring wasn't for me, especially while gearing up for college. Recently, I recorded a short jingle for one of the segments on the 'Here's My Question For You' podcast Chris and Coury (CGQ and My Life in Gaming) have been doing, which was fun to do.

Do you... happen to sound like Ozzy?
I've had a lot of people tell me - over the years - that I sound like a dead ringer for Ozzy, so we'd get asked to cover War Pigs, The Wizard, Iron Man, Fairy's Wear Boots, etc., all the time. I still remember being asked if our band would close out the talent show at school in my senior year, and I thought, "why not', so we decided to just do covers for fun. The last show of the evening was for parents, so we had some 800 people in there, and I overhear and see the dad of one of the other performers - this 6"4 biker built like a house - say, "This is going to suck...and there's even a bunch of punks that think they're going to do Iron Man and War Pigs???". After the show, he comes up to me and tells me, "THAT WAS AWESOME! You sounds exactly like Ozzy, kid". I will never forget that as long as I live, and it made me feel awesome.

Do you have any recordings of your band before you split up?
We had some session tapes, but they ended up with my guitarist since his Dad was our booking agent (what he did for a living), and then he buggered off to Goa after high school because he started to get into psychedelics; I never heard from him again. 40 year old me would probably cringe at hearing what 18 year old me wrote and trying to wax poetic, so it's probably for the best, lol.

Any other hobbies?
Actually, yes! I've played basketball since high school with one championship back in junior high, so I try to play and coach my son whenever I can (although my recent back injury has pumped the breaks on my playing). Besides the music, I'm a classically trained and certified animator, so I have a Cintiq I use to draw on the regular (and contribute to the Yokoi Kids Game Boy game of the month club). Casual Cart is the man and just too good though, so I don't bother drawing around here because he's got it on lock. I'm a HUGE Lego fan, particularly Castle Lego...I can lose a day to building Lego and having medieval battles with the kids without even realizing it.

...and reading; a good book is a wonderful thing!

Honestly, I could retire tomorrow and my days would be full and then some until I die.

anakaris_by_renmauzo_by_renmauzo_d2evedt-fullview.thumb.jpg.96cafaa7b9be74b993a6c85f8f144932.jpg

lord_raptor_by_renmauzo_by_renmauzo_d227ek8-fullview.thumb.jpg.a16ce52ad53c085146a83a1020750595.jpg

Those action figures are awesome! What's the in-a-nutshell process for making these?
Thanks! Like I said, I figured if Capcom wasn't going to make them for me to buy, I'd do it myself.

As for the short version of the process: I would tend to use some generic figure as a base, or random parts from busted up figures, and then sculpt on that. Then, sanding/dremelling/ filing, more sculpting as needed, up to a point where I have what looks like the prototype figures you would see from professional studios. After all that, paint (I tend to use Italian paint because the brand I found makes the colours pop more like the sprites in Capcom games). After a clearcoat and sealant, my wife would take photos because I suck at that.

What other hobbies would you get into if you had infinite time?
I think I would like to go back to working on custom action figures (I'm really happy with the Darkstalkers figures I made, which was something I did because Capcom wasn't getting it done). I've included pics of two of my favourites...I really need to finish the roster as I only have a few left. What do you think? The site's dead now, but I just didn't have the time anymore when I stopped back in 2010.

Aside from that, building tabletop sets for role-playing games would be super cool. There are folks with Youtube channels I've watched that make some absolutely incredible castles, medieval buildings , and amazing looking environmental set pieces. I know I have it in me to do it too, but the time investment required to getting an becoming familiar with the different tools, going through the growing pains of trial and error, and the time it takes for that meticulous level of detail...I think it would have to be my main thing. For now, I'm satisfied trying to do that with Lego 😉

Favorite movie/book/album/airplane/thing about yourself?
Fifth Element / Circe / Time Out (Dave Brubeck) / The one that doesn't fall out of the sky / Jack-of-all-trades (master of none though but always trying :/)

Time Out? Oh man. Can you jam to those time signatures on the drums?
Inconsistently. I had to take long stretches away from the drums over the years based on places I'd lived, but when I moved to the island 5 years ago and became a home owner, putting together a nice kit was a priority for me. I've been able to put in the work again everyday, but I still have a long way to go on my journey. That said, I don't think the journey ever truly ends for a musician.

Favorite restaurant/cereal/place you've visited/fruit?
- There was an outdoor Taqueria my wife and I went to when we were in Portland that was out of this world, which is tied with a small shawarma place I loved in BC that had the hottest shawarma I've ever eaten and it was glorious

- Crispix (a boring answer I'm sure, but I'm also that guy who prefers skim milk over 2%, lol)

- Whistler B.C (at night...so many stars, we didn't need lighting)

- Lemon...I absolutely love lemons. 

You like spicy foods?
LOVE spicy foods! South American, Chilean, African, Indian...I love amazing, fresh and spicy cuisine from all around the world. I'm not a 'hot for hots' sake' kind of guy, but if it adds to the flavour profile in a meaningful way, bring the heat.

What do you think the gimmick will be for Nintendo's next console?
Maybe some kind of 'all screen/little to no bezel/folds in half like those fancy cellphones' doodad. I think the 'portable-to-tv' aspect will stay, but it feels like there's only so much more that can be done before we get to the holodeck from Star Trek becoming a reality. Whatever they do, I'm sure it will captivate in some way and I'm always all in with Nintendo.

What's your winning throw, rock, paper, or scissors?
Paper. It's flexible/pliable, can take on the shape it needs to for the situation, can be used to chronicle, and can bite with it's edge if need be or if handled without a certain degree of care.

...I'm also lazy when playing this game and means I don't have to do anything in particular with my hand.

What's the obvious interesting question about you that I didn't ask?
Honestly, that's the toughest question you've asked so far. Thinking about it for a moment, maybe it would be two things, and one of them isn't something that can generally be asked without seeming inappropriate to do so.

Life was a grind growing up (and still can be now from time to time). Expectations were sky-high, that idea of 'be better than those who came before you', and so 99% on an exam wasn't enough, but then, later, neither was 100% as there 'should have been a way to get bonus points'. Along with working from a young age, this made me what I am, and yet had the side effect of developing Imposter Syndrome; I don't take praise well and often feel like, despite objective and fact based metrics that speak to success, all I imagine is that it must be wrong or was a fluke; I don't deserve it, any of it, and I expect the bottom to fall out at any given moment. I deal with data all day. By its nature, it's quantifiable, it's as orderly as I want it to be, etc., and yet despite being analytical by nature, it's hard coded into me to - irrationally - diminish myself.

That said, I love life and the journey that this is, and I love learning, ever trying to be a better version of me day after day. This brings me to the second thing: what's next?

Right now, I'm getting over a herniated disc injury I sustained in what could have been a traumatic accident for my sister, so the pain I've been feeling since October is worth it in that regard. But I have so much more I want to do: music to write/play, Lego to build, books to read, philosophy to ponder, games to play, sites to see, things to make/build, skills to learn (and maybe even master), and teaching/playing/laughing with my kids (and my wife) to do.

This might seem like a cop-out on the question, but when it comes down to it, everyone is doing this in some form or another; the most obviously interesting question about each of us is: what are you going to do next?

• Like 6
  • Love 3

• The topic was pinned
On 5/20/2023 at 12:02 AM, Brickman said:

Great read and love the games room. I always enjoy seeing games room that make the most of the little space they have. What's your favourite Castle set? I really want 10305 but don't have the spare space for it.

You know, I really love the recent Blacksmith set! I was tempted to buy a few of them and make a small town diorama, but I want to get the new anniversary castle set...it's just-so-expensivvvvve...

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 1:36 PM, Link said:

Dude, you're such a cool and nice guy. 

Has anyone ever tried to correct you on your username? 

Thank you so much 🙂

I think it came up once but, I was like, "yeah, I messed that up", so there was no 'gatcha!' moment 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Renmauzo said:

You know, I really love the recent Blacksmith set! I was tempted to buy a few of them and make a small town diorama, but I want to get the new anniversary castle set...it's just-so-expensivvvvve...

Yeah I love that one too and it's almost required that you get the castle set if you get the blacksmith 😄 It's a simple design, but after 10305 I really love set 375.

On 5/19/2023 at 6:22 PM, Splain said:

What's the most fun you've ever had playing video games?
I'm going to cheat with two: Last Christmas, watching my brother and son lose their minds as I dominated a couple of levels and Mavericks in Mega Man X without looking at the tv; I'm REALLY good at MMX on SNES.

@Renmauzo HOW  do you do that, 🤣? Like, I can do runs that wouks show familiarity and experience with a stage easily enough... but not even looking at the screen? 🥴 How do you get the timing down with no visual?

22 hours ago, Link said:

@Renmauzo HOW  do you do that, 🤣? Like, I can do runs that wouks show familiarity and experience with a stage easily enough... but not even looking at the screen? 🥴 How do you get the timing down with no visual?

Reps, that's all. I've come to get a sense of the timing between necessary jumps and things like that. I can see the levels in my head so clearly, I know what I get out of every button press, things like that. It started as a fluke when I'd play alone while trying to challenge myself, but once I kinda did it a few times, I put effort into trying to get better at it. i got the idea from watching a video of a guy at a convention do it in Punch Out.

• Wow! 1

Just now, Renmauzo said:

Reps, that's all. I've come to get a sense of the timing between necessary jumps and things like that. I can see the levels in my head so clearly, I know what I get out of every button press, things like that. It started as a fluke when I'd play alone while trying to challenge myself, 

Amazing! For similar reasons, irl I walk familiar paths backwards, in the dark, or with my eyes closed. But not completely blind for anywhere near the length of time a full game level. I can't imagine the level of timing precision you must have to be able to do that. I bet it comes in handy for playing music as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Graphics Team · Posted

Just catching up on these Featured Member highlights, and this interview has been my favorite by far.

You’re a certified Renaissance man, @Renmauzo, and I can’t believe you’ve been holding out on us with your amazing artwork for so long! Your game room is so well-assembled, too (but maybe I’m just biased since we have such similar taste in games).

And one last thing - you did that “Does It Slap / Should We Yeet It?” theme for Here’s My Question For You??? I listen to that podcast all the time, and you had me reeling when I learned that I’d been hearing your jingle for so long without realizing who made it haha. Incredible.

[T-Pac]

7 hours ago, T-Pac said:

Just catching up on these Featured Member highlights, and this interview has been my favorite by far.

You’re a certified Renaissance man, @Renmauzo, and I can’t believe you’ve been holding out on us with your amazing artwork for so long! Your game room is so well-assembled, too (but maybe I’m just biased since we have such similar taste in games).

And one last thing - you did that “Does It Slap / Should We Yeet It?” theme for Here’s My Question For You??? I listen to that podcast all the time, and you had me reeling when I learned that I’d been hearing your jingle for so long without realizing who made it haha. Incredible.

[T-Pac]

Thank you so much for the kind words, T-Pac 🙂 I used to make all kids of ridiculous 5 minute MS Paint drawings for a few laughs on N-G.com, and am a sometimes contributor on Yokoi Kids (it's been a number of months since I submitted something though), but all in all, I don't do any of it for money anymore and just for a few laughs. Maybe I'll post a thing or two at some point for fun 🙂

As for the jingle, I met Chris on N-G.com 13 years ago, and I've been rockin' with him ever since he started his channel. So, when the boys put out the call for a tune to the 'Does It Slap / Should We Yeet It?' segment, I thought that would be a fun thing to contribute. That said, I'm pretty behind on episodes due to work in the past 5 months, so I haven't seen any episodes since they played mine. I'm not sure if they are even using mine now (Chris sort of apologized in the episode they ran it with a call out to 'Shayne, long time friend of the show', lol), but it was the second one they played - the low-key jazzy arrangement, not the the really update one - so it may not be the one you're familiar with. My brother mastered the track, but bless him, he tried his best but it's way too low, so it wouldn't surprise me if they used it once and never again.

I've really got to go back and get caught up on the episodes 😉

Graphics Team · Posted
On 8/1/2023 at 3:25 PM, Renmauzo said:

Thank you so much for the kind words, T-Pac 🙂 I used to make all kids of ridiculous 5 minute MS Paint drawings for a few laughs on N-G.com, and am a sometimes contributor on Yokoi Kids (it's been a number of months since I submitted something though), but all in all, I don't do any of it for money anymore and just for a few laughs. Maybe I'll post a thing or two at some point for fun 🙂

As for the jingle, I met Chris on N-G.com 13 years ago, and I've been rockin' with him ever since he started his channel. So, when the boys put out the call for a tune to the 'Does It Slap / Should We Yeet It?' segment, I thought that would be a fun thing to contribute. That said, I'm pretty behind on episodes due to work in the past 5 months, so I haven't seen any episodes since they played mine. I'm not sure if they are even using mine now (Chris sort of apologized in the episode they ran it with a call out to 'Shayne, long time friend of the show', lol), but it was the second one they played - the low-key jazzy arrangement, not the the really update one - so it may not be the one you're familiar with. My brother mastered the track, but bless him, he tried his best but it's way too low, so it wouldn't surprise me if they used it once and never again.

I've really got to go back and get caught up on the episodes 😉

They still use your jingle pretty frequently, actually! I remember there was even one episode where Chris let-slip his favoritism and was commenting on how much he loved yours haha.

And yeah - you've got to throw some doodles up here on VGS more often. I'm sure you're the same way, but I can always tell when drawings are done by a fellow animator, and I love seeing those subtle tells.

[T-Pac]

• Love 1

7 hours ago, T-Pac said:

They still use your jingle pretty frequently, actually! I remember there was even one episode where Chris let-slip his favoritism and was commenting on how much he loved yours haha.

And yeah - you've got to throw some doodles up here on VGS more often. I'm sure you're the same way, but I can always tell when drawings are done by a fellow animator, and I love seeing those subtle tells.

[T-Pac]

Aw, that is really nice to hear 🙂 I really vibe with the same kind of stuff as Chris; that Kaze no NOTAM weekend rental video he did a few weeks ago was my favourite to date, but that chill vibe isn't everyone's cup of tea.

***************************************************************************************

As far as some art goes, here are some goofy doodles I did in MS Paint for no particular reason:

Breads.png.6551605e1f93e9bda9a8330e5c1580c5.png

Malignantpoodle.png.c9d49f1050852a2f4e023f3c7419606d.png

Neckbeardsundae.png.ae0c7d8ed719fd8a19f6418345514d98.png

Lobsters.png.2079d18a1030ac0ed96fc683a0fcda9d.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1