IGNORED

Featured Member November 2022: Lynda Monica

Splain

Editorials Team · Posted

Hope you're all ready to dust off your Wii U, because this month it's @Lynda Monica! And away we go!

Previous sages:
June 2022: Estil
July 2022: RH

August 2022: Brickman
September 2022: Code Monkey
October 2022: OptOut

So is that your name? And is that your Mii?
It's actually my first name and my middle name. I originally signed up with my full name all as one word, because I didn't know I could put spaces in my username. It ended up looking weird as it cut off into two lines, so I quickly changed it to just the first two names with a space. My full name is Lynda Monica Watson, which I've been told by many is "an unusual name". 😅

My avatar is my Wii U Mii that I based on myself at a young age. You can't really see it in the avatar, but that Mii has a little ponytail in the back. 🙂 There's no red hair option in the default Mii maker, so I had to pick a shade of brown. I'm a redhead in reality, but don't let the internet know. XD

What's more fun, collecting games or playing them?
Playing games is always why I've collected. Collecting is often stressful, but the reward of having the game to play makes it all worth it. I really try not to buy games I'm not interested in playing, and the games I end up not liking tend to get sold off. My ideal collection is having a single large shelf full of the best games of all time. As a result I tend to amass a large collection for a system, play through them, and then sell off all but the best ones when it's time to move on. It's a strange way to go about it, but it works for me. 🙂

And what are these "best games of all time?"
"The best games of all time?" I don't know exactly what makes the best games, but I feel like the most important thing is to do something unique. All of my favourite games share the trait that none of them can be compared to each other.

You're a Wii U person! Is a Wii U worth owning today?
Yeah! I was really into the Wii U when I first joined, though I've finished collecting what I wanted for it at this point. I can't say for certain if owning a Wii U is worth it to many people, but most of my favourite titles are still exclusive. Star Fox Zero is my favourite Wii U game, and there are other stand out titles like Wii Fit U, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Nintendo Land, and Animal Crossing amiibo Festival that you can't get elsewhere. People tend to give that last one a hard time, but I genuinely like it more than regular Animal Crossing, which I've never been able to get into. I have the whole set of figures for that game. ☺️

Do you bemoan the existence of the Switch like a true Wii U fan?
"Bemoan the Switch?" I actually love that the Switch came out and became the system the Wii U always should have been. The coolest aspect of the Wii U was having the option to play on the tablet; and yet half of the games forced you to play on a TV.

I enjoy the Wii U, but I'm also not blind to the fact that it was a stupid piece of hardware. The games were great, the console was a mess, but the potential was always there. The Switch is like the finished version of the Wii U, and it's filled in the gaps of the Wii U library by giving us an HD Metroid, Fire Emblem, and Luigi's Mansion that all build on their 3DS entries. In other words, games that would have come out on the Wii U if it was a success.

Mario Kart 8 never even went away! 😛

I don't feel like Nintendo abandoned the Wii U, but instead respected it and built something great out of it. 🙂

Which Wii U do you have?
I have the black one and the white one, but my GamePad's control stick broke on the black one. I tried to replace the GamePad, but found it'd be worth it to just buy a second Wii U. For some reason the white Wii U is significantly cheaper, even though the only difference is less internal storage. If you plug a USB stick into the back of the console though, you have as much space as you want. Instead of a $250.00 black Wii U, I bought a $150.00 white Wii U that works perfectly fine.

How did you get into the Wii U?
I got into the Wii U when I was debating if I was going to spend $90.00 on Wii U ports for the Switch. First party Switch games cost $90.00 after tax in Canada, so I was looking into if it'd be cheaper to buy a Wii U since the Wii U versions are so cheap. Not only was it cheaper, but it gave me access to a large amount of Wii U games that haven't been ported to Switch.

Do you own any Switch games that got a Wii U release?
I don't own any yet, but there is exactly ONE that I'm interested in. From what I've seen of Mario 3D World on Switch, it's actually quite a bit worse than the Wii U version. However due to the addition of Bowser's Fury, I'll be picking it up at some point. I just don't want to spend a lot on it, so I've been waiting.

As for Wii U games that haven't been ported, I'm sure that Kirby and the Rainbow Curse will be ported to something so long as touch screens remain a staple on Nintendo systems. I think an eventual port of Paper Mario Color Splash is a pretty safe bet too, as it could probably be reworked to fit other systems.

People holding out hope for a Star Fox Zero port will never get it though, as the game's controls and level design are so ingrained with the Wii U hardware that it can't really be ported to anything else. I think Xenoblade X is pretty unlikely too, considering it didn't really light the series on fire in the first place. Monolith doesn't really have the time or resources to port it, so the few people who care about it should save the company some time and just go buy a Wii U.

Do/did you ever play games only on the gamepad? That's what almost sold me on it.
I used to play exclusively on the GamePad when the option was there, but recently I've learned to love the HD visuals on a big screen. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is a game where you pretty much HAVE to play exclusively on the GamePad though, since everything is done with the stylus. You don't ever get to enjoy Rainbow Curse's gorgeous art style in HD unless you're player two. 😞

What consoles do you have, and what are your go-to games for each?
What consoles, what games? I have many systems, but not a great way to play most of them. I don't have a CRT TV anymore, so many of them are basically incompatible with my current TV. I'll list my favourite games for each system though. 🙂

NES: Kid Icarus
SNES: Kirby Super Star
N64: Super Smash Bros.
Game Cube: Luigi's Mansion
Wii: Kororinpa Marble Mania
Wii U: Star Fox Zero
Switch: Pokemon Shield
Game Boy: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Virtual Boy: Space Squash
Game Boy Color: Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure
Game Boy Advance: Pokemon Ruby
Nintendo DS: Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Nintendo 3DS: Pokemon X
Sega Genesis: Ecco the Dolphin
Sega Game Gear: Streets of Rage 2
Sega CD: Mansion of Hidden Souls
Sega 32X: After Burner
Sega Dreamcast: Sonic Adventure
Playstation 3: LittleBigPlanet 2
PSP: Prinny: Can I Really be the Hero?

Some good stuff here! Your favorite N64 game is Smash Bros, do you like/prefer Melee on GC?
Smash 64 is my favourite Smash Brothers, as it's the silliest and most simplistic game in the series. I miss the North American bowling pin sounds, I miss classic mode having all the funny and challenging score multipliers, I miss board the platforms and break the targets, and I miss when the series was not only exclusive to Nintendo characters, but I miss when it was mostly exclusive to main characters.

The stages weren't as annoying either, as the stage hazards were really well designed. The Yoshi's Story stage had clouds that you could stand on, but would eventually vanish. Kongo Jungle had a barrel cannon underneath the stage to help you recover, but could rotate unexpectedly and shoot you in the pit. Hyrule Castle had tornadoes that were easy to avoid, but were useful for knocking your opponents into.

Peach's Castle and Brinstar were the two least popular stages, mainly because the hazards were so obnoxious that they got in the way of the fight.

Most of all what I love about Smash 64 is how the series and its fans didn't take it so seriously at that point. It was primarily a fun multiplayer party game, and the first game reveled in how stupid it was. Master Hand is a child making his Nintendo dolls beat each other up, which is the perfect set up to a game as moronic as Smash Bros.

The battle themes in the first game are way more energetic and silly compared to later games, as the developers were aware that the very idea of Yoshi clobbering Mario with a hammer is completely idiotic. The series started off as a really whimsical celebration of slapstick violence, and was never intended to be taken seriously at all.

Yet as the series went on, this self aware eyebrow wiggling was abandoned in favour of playing up how awesome it's supposed to be. The series became so important to its fans that it completely lost its identity in the process, and I think Smash Bros. has been extremely cringe worthy ever since Brawl.

The main reason I can tolerate the Wii U entry is that it doesn't have the embarrassing story modes that Brawl and Ultimate have. Smash Bros. was never intended to be an epic crossover that people obsess over, and was always meant to be as intelligent as a four year old smashing his toys together.

Do you like your Virtual Boy or do you just have it for the novelty?
Virtual Boy isn't a novelty to me, as we got one when they were on store shelves. 🙂  We got it during the ending discounts, and my brothers and I played the hell out of Mario's Tennis, Galactic Pinball and Mario Clash. In the early 2000s I picked up the rest of the English library, but I no longer own them or the system itself.

While I can see how most people would think of the Virtual Boy as a bizarre curio, I grew up with it and tend to think of it as one of Nintendo's main systems. It's too hard on my back to play anymore, and my system fell victim to the red lines of death. I've never felt the need to go back and re-purchase the system, as it's too temperamental and expensive to own these days. It holds a special place in Nintendo history for me though, and I genuinely love it.

Teleroboxer, Space Squash, Red Alarm, Vertical Force, Mario Clash, Panic Bomber, Virtual Fishing, Nester's Funky Bowling, Mario's Tennis, Virtual Boy Wario Land, and Galactic Pinball were my favourites.

What's better, Dragon Warrior Monsters or Pokemon?
The only Dragon Quest Monsters game I like is Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure. As a full series I think Pokemon is better, but it's worth pointing out that Monsters 2 is better than any Pokemon game that's ever come out. Monsters 2 is a truly special game, and it's one of my all time favourites. I also only played it for the first time about five years ago, which means it stepped over my long lived nostalgia of the Pokemon series.

The other Monsters games don't even come close to matching what made Monsters 2 special though, where even the worst Pokemon games capture some of the same magic as Red, Silver, Ruby and Pearl. I think Monsters peaked way too early with a completely flawless game, where Pokemon has been able to maintain an enjoyable level of high quality without reaching a point of no return.

What's better, "new" Pokemon or "old" Pokemon?
Since I've been alive for 32 years now and lived through the whole series, I'd consider there to be three eras.

The old era: Pokemon Red and Silver
The Mid era: Pokemon Ruby, Colosseum, XD Gale of Darkness, Pearl, White, Black 2
The modern era: Pokemon X, Sun, Shield

The old era I still feel are the best ones for their focus on a solid single player experience. These games are still very fun for me to replay, as I don't have to worry so much about my Pokemon not getting the correct stat growths. The first two games were the ones with the least micromanaging needed to obtain a battle worthy team that didn't need to rely on being dip-fed hyper potions in order to win.

The mid-era is the second best, with the focus on competitive battling being a vastly different, but still amazing way to play Pokemon. This era was Pokemon battling at its most dynamic and strategic, although it could become a real time sink trying to think about how to build your teams and go up against as many types of opponent as possible. While I have many fond memories of the in-game battle facilities as well as intense multiplayer battles, the single player experiences were far worse in this era.

The modern era doesn't do either aspect particularly well, as battles are full of overpowered gimmick mechanics, and the single player experiences are really cut down. While I genuinely love Pokemon X and Pokemon Shield's single player experience for what they are, what they are is under cooked. They're great fun, but could have been infinitely more. Pokemon Sun is the worst game in the series by a long shot, and outside of some of the characters and dialogue, there's really nothing enjoyable about it at all.

An evil wizard forces you to either abandon all Nintendo consoles for life, or all non-Nintendo (Nontendo?) consoles for life. Which do you choose?
Considering I've already abandoned every video game system not made by Nintendo, I think that would be the best evil wizard for me to get accosted by. XD

Do you collect anything else?
I don't collect anything other than video games, as boring of an answer as that is. It's hard enough to fund one collection while still making a comfortable living. Video games are something I love to spend my money on though, as it's great escapism. Go to work, make money, pay the rent, eat, save up, use extra money on games, escape to virtual fun, rinse and repeat. I've actually been living a really ideal life for the past decade or so, and I hope it continues to go that way for a while longer.

How did you come to find VGS?
I found Sage due to my frustration with discord as a social platform. I find it's hard to make friends on discord as it's easy to forget who said what. The instant feedback of discord also allows for more brash attitudes, rather than on a forum where people can carefully consider (and more importantly RE-consider) their responses.

I started to look for a video game collection themed forum, as discord was populated mainly by younger people who I couldn't relate to. I figured a collector forum would have older people with my level of knowledge, and I eventually found this forum. I've been enjoying it here a lot, by the way. 😁

How did you get into video games?
I have two older brothers that already owned an NES when I was born, so I easily found my way to gaming. The first game I played was Duck Hunt.💥

My mom told me years later that she hated Duck Hunt, as the little duck icon below would turn "blood red" when you shot a duck. Apparently my uncle would come over and watch us play, and thought it was hilarious.

What's the worst video game?
I feel like everyone has their own interpretation of what makes the worst games, and to me all of the worst games are sequels that have no business existing. Either due to being worse than the previous game in every way, or due to extending a series beyond its ideal conclusion.

So while many people love Pikmin 2 and Pikmin 3, I hate them for piling on extra entries to what was a perfectly constructed one off. The original Pikmin ends so beautifully and definitively that the very idea of there being sequels is enough to make me hate them. The same can be said for games like StarTropics II and Golden Sun Dark Dawn, which simply had no business being made.

If we're talking straight up trash heaps though, I'd say Fantasia on the Genesis is pretty hard to top. I've never seen a game go so far out of its way to confuse its players.

What's the worst thing that isn't a video game?
The worst things to exist in the entire world are moths. They move so erratically, are impossible to kill, and ALWAYS fly into your house. I have an intense irrational fear of them, so I try my hardest to keep the doors and windows closed at night so they don't fly in and freak me out. They also feel horrible if they brush up against you, and I've shrieked multiple times in public when they've done so.

Who else lives in your house?
I live by myself, but my older brother and elderly parents visit quite often. My oldest brother visits every Saturday, and my parents drop by all the time. My other older brother moved to Ontario, so I don't get to visit with him in person too often. We do like to Skype every so often though.

Do you like poutine and ketchup chips?
I don't like either of those things, but I DO love fries and gravy without the cheese curds. One thing Canadians do with fries that many Americans are unfamiliar with is that we put vinegar on fries. I don't actually like doing that, but it's completely normal to do out here.

Since we're talking about Canadian food, I'm always stunned to find out which candies are exclusive to Canada, as I grew up with them and just assumed they're everywhere. What America calls "Smarties", we call "Rockets". Smarties in Canada are a candy coated chocolate similar to M&Ms, and when you eat them, you eat the red ones last. 😋

Favorite movie?
My favourite movie of all time is the original Fantasia. It's a long movie that's often considered too boring for modern audiences, but I fell in love with it when I first watched it in my late teens. The first half is extremely strong and consistently fantastic, though the second half has some weak segments. My favourite segment is the creation of the universe/extinction of the dinosaurs.

Are dinosaurs cooler with feathers or without?
I think dinosaurs are cooler with scales, but I'd be happy to be shown something that makes me change my mind. All I know is that both versions of the creature would be hit super effectively by a tar pit.

Favorite TV show?
My favourite television show is Garfield & Friends. I actually really hate that the internet is so harsh on Garfield, but its easy to understand why. The recent Garfield strips are beyond horrible, and the first few years of the strip aren't so hot either.

It was during the 80s when the comic strip, the TV specials, and of course Garfield & Friends were all absolutely fantastic, and deservedly made Garfield famous. I often go back and read the old books and watch the old show, and it's always a comforting universe to step into. What's interesting about Garfield and Friends is that unlike other shows, it got better and better as the series went on. The only reason the show ended was due to the network wanting to slash the budget, and the creators wisely chose to end the show instead.

Garfield & Friends was a definite Saturday morning staple as a kid. Are you familiar with "Garfield minus Garfield?"
I'm aware of it, and I think it's unfortunate that Jim Davis didn't take it as a sign to fix anything. Did you know that Jim Davis actually distributed a book of Garfield minus Garfield? He basically endorsed a collection of shit posts made by angry fans who hate him for ruining the series.

It's frustrating as it would be extremely simple to fix the strip with a single shot in the arm.

Jon and Liz should take the pets and move back to the farm. This would make Jon's family permanent members of the cast, adding more characters to bounce around. This would also give permanent access to Nermal, since he belongs to Jon's parents. Liz is a veterinarian and can take care of the animals, but would have to learn how to care for animals she's not experienced with. Odie would start making friends and enemies with the various farm animals, which would give him a bigger role in the strip. Garfield of course would have to deal with the first major change in his life in years, and the possibilities of him adjusting to his new home are endless.

Favorite book?
My favourite book is called "Have you seen the mysterious window?". It's about an elderly woman who learns how to sing, so she can record herself singing for her own funeral. It's an extremely sad book, but incredibly good. 🥲

Neat, I've never heard of it... and neither has Google...
Yeah, I made it up. It's not a real book, but I just wanted to pretend that I've read a book in my life. I'm actually amazed that the title "Have you seen the mysterious window?" hasn't been taken already. 😆

Is it easy to find games where you are?
I live with three game stores in traveling distance, so it's certainly a great help in finding stuff that I can't find on eBay. Outside of them though, I don't shop for games locally. It's too much effort and takes too much time to go all over the place. It's usually well worth the money to just spend a little extra and be done with it. I buy games so I can play them, so how much I pay isn't high on my list of concerns.

What would you want to be famous for?
I'd love to be famous for doing something that encouraged people worldwide to think for themselves. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who regurgitate stuff they've heard without forming any of their own opinions. If you don't have informed thoughts on a subject, don't pretend you do by repeating someone else's. If I could become famous for spreading that message in a way that resonated with people, I'd consider it a successful life.

What's your favorite meal?
My favourite meal is the greatest breakfast that I came up with in my teens. Make three sunny side up fried eggs, and cook up a pot of rice. Put the eggs on a plate, and cover the entire surface of the eggs with rice. Poke at the egg yolks so the runny yolk mixes in with the rice, and shovel it all down with a large spoon. It's so incredibly good, but so simple. 🙂

Do you ever text while driving?
I'm a very timid driver, and I honestly can't believe the kind of stuff people do while driving. As a kid my brothers and I joked about playing Game Boy while driving, and we would laugh and think about people actually doing that. Yet here we are in the future where people play with their phone-boys and drive at the same time.

While we're talking about this, I was taught as a little girl not to cross the road while looking at my Game Boy. Fast forward twenty years where the former anti-gaming brigade didn't learn their Game Boy manners, and they're all staring at their phone with their headphones in while they cross the street. Life is full of double standards. 😒

What game have you put the most time into?
Without a doubt it's Pokemon Silver. I've replayed that 20+ hour game so many times with countless different teams that I couldn't imagine how much time I've spent playing it. My favourite team I ever took was Meganium, Crobat, Sudowoodo, Miltank, Lanturn, and Houndoom.

What games are in your backlog?
Waaaaay too many to list. XD Along with all the games I've never even booted up, there are games I've technically "finished" that I want to go back and 100%. I have unfinished business with a lot of the games in my collection.

What's the most underrated game? Overrated?
I always think overrated is the wrong term to use, because the frustrating aspect to people isn't actually that a game is too popular. The thing that makes people angry is the level to which you disagree with the popular opinion. That turns it into a "you" problem though, so saying something is "overrated" is a way to place the blame on everyone else. 🙂

That's my answer. *Crosses legs, starts floating in pure wisdom, hits head on ceiling and loses credibility*

Did you ever get any of those mini "classic" consoles?
I've been tempted by a few, but I've never actually bought one. I was most tempted by the SNES classic when Star Fox 2 was finally released, but I never ended up buying it as Star Fox 2 kinda looks like garbage. I didn't like Star Fox Command, so I don't really want to play prototype Star Fox Command.

How much do you care about the upcoming Mario movie?
I'm not really interested in movies at all anymore, and likely won't see the new Mario movie. I do hope it ends up being good, and hopefully we get a bizarre movie tie-in game.

Remember Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures, and Sonic Boom? Those were bizarre outsourced TV show tie in games, but they happened to star the company's lead mascot. I'm hoping we get a bizarre Mario movie game made by some company that's only ever made Game Cube and PS1 tie in games.

How much do you care about the upcoming "Tears of the Kingdom" Zelda game?
I didn't like Breath of the Wild, so I'm not really interested in a sequel to that. I do hope that since it's an actual Zelda sequel that continues the story, it won't be forced to latch on to the Master Sword, Zelda and Ganon. I feel like outside of the NES and SNES games, Zelda is always best when it gets to have its own unique story. Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask are my two favourite games in the series, and part of that is because they got to have an actual plot.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• The topic was pinned
Editorials Team · Posted
34 minutes ago, Splain said:

Favorite book?
My favourite book is called "Have you seen the mysterious window?". It's about an elderly woman who learns how to sing, so she can record herself singing for her own funeral. It's an extremely sad book, but incredibly good. 🥲

Neat, I've never heard of it... and neither has Google...
Yeah, I made it up. It's not a real book, but I just wanted to pretend that I've read a book in my life. I'm actually amazed that the title "Have you seen the mysterious window?" hasn't been taken already. 😆

This is some next level shit.  Bar raised.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 4

51 minutes ago, Splain said:

Jon and Liz should take the pets and move back to the farm. This would make Jon's family permanent members of the cast, adding more characters to bounce around. This would also give permanent access to Nermal, since he belongs to Jon's parents. Liz is a veterinarian and can take care of the animals, but would have to learn how to care for animals she's not experienced with. Odie would start making friends and enemies with the various farm animals, which would give him a bigger role in the strip. Garfield of course would have to deal with the first major change in his life in years, and the possibilities of him adjusting to his new home are endless.

YES, ABSOLUTELY!

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 6:27 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

This is some next level shit.  Bar raised.

My... my wife's grandmother almost did something like that.  She was a friendly lady but also picky about certain things.  She legit wanted to record herself saying "thanks for coming... I'm glad you're hear... thanks for your love...", etc. with the pauses and everything, with the intent that the cassette would play on a loop while people were coming to the viewing.

*Cough*, the reason she wanted to do this was because she wanted everyone who came to her funeral to know that she really appreciated them coming and, uh, didn't think her kids would do a good enough job of letting people know how much she appreciated them.  Her eldest ended up convincing her that that idea was creepy and, yes, she (the eldest child) would certainly let everyone know that her mother appreciated them coming to her funeral.

THAT is next level. 😅

(Apologies to @Lynda Monica.  I am not trying to derail your thread.)

There are two things I neglected to mention when asked about whether owing a Wii U is worth it or not. For Japanese players, it is the only place to find the uncensored version of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, since even the Japanese Switch port featured all of the changes made to the localized version.

Also the Skylanders fanbase prioritizes the Wii U as their system of choice.

• You can only play as the Donkey Kong and Bowser figures on the Wii U version of Superchargers and Imaginators.
  • The Nintendo versions are consistently more stable than the Sony or Microsoft versions. Don't ask me why, but the Playstation and Xbox ports are always extra buggy.
  • Due to the Wii U's backwards compatibility, you can play every console game in the series on one system, including the Wii exclusive Skylanders Superchargers Racing.
  • The Wii U grants access to the Wii version of Skylanders Giants, which is the only way to reset a Creation Crystal. Creation Crystals are from Skylanders Imaginators, and were used to build custom Skylanders. When you boot up a Creation Crystal for the first time, you're prompted to pick a battle class and element for your Skylander. This was intended to be a permanent decision, but people quickly discovered that the Wii version of Giants had an exploit that could reset the figures. Due to it being a simple coding error that caused this to be possible, it was patched out of the Xbox and Playstation releases. However with no way to distribute patches on the Wii, the bug was permanent and gave players the freedom they should have had in the first place. The game is impossible to 100% without scanning in an unused Creation Crystal of each element, so the fact that it's still possible to 100% is entirely thanks to the Wii version of Skylanders Giants.
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Events Team · Posted

Great read, Lynda.  I'm a pretty big Garfield fan myself.  Garfield and Friends was top tier Saturday morning and I still read the old school books now with my kids.  Well, the first 25 books or so.  My daughter is super into it right now while my son who's a little older has moved on to Calvin and Hobbes.

I also have the Garfield Minus Garfield book, it's... disturbingly funny and I love the fact that Jim Davis chose to publish it.  It doesn't seem like it was made out of spite for Jim Davis ruining Garfield but I could be wrong.  For me, it's more about laughing at (or relating to) Jon's crippling loneliness and depression.  Certainly not for everyone but I find it darkly sophisticated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G-type said:

Good stuff! for the longest time I could never get further than a couple stages into Kid Icarus. When I finally sat down and determined to beat it, I was shocked how much easier the game became on the horizontal levels... It also helps when you understand that you need to grind for xp.

Stage 3 is very much designed to be a wall for players who haven't figured out how upgrades work. If you somehow stumble your way through that, the boss of the first dungeon will get ya. 😄

Kid Icarus just only barely beats out the first Ninja Gaiden, which is also a top tier NES game. I love all three of the NES Ninja Gaiden games. 🙂

14 hours ago, G-type said:

Good stuff! for the longest time I could never get further than a couple stages into Kid Icarus. When I finally sat down and determined to beat it, I was shocked how much easier the game became on the horizontal levels... It also helps when you understand that you need to grind for xp.

Same here. I rented it as a kid and couldn't get anywhere. When I finally sat down later in life with the intention to finish the game, I really enjoyed it once I figured everything out.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Master Hand is a child making his Nintendo dolls beat each other up, which is the perfect set up to a game as moronic as Smash Bros. I had not thought of that, but you make a good point. Like Sid from Toy Story.

I also really enjoy Garfield and Friends. I re-watch the specials seasonally. Nice to see someone else appreciated them.

FYI to anyone who is left wondering what happened to Lynda Monica, she left this message on the "general" room of the VGS Discord sometime this past Sunday (11/13/2022):

"I'm going to be taking another break from gaming, as well as the internet. I've really enjoyed going back to the Wii, Wii U and 3DS, but now I'm kind of finished playing everything I wanted to. I'm not sure how active I'll be on the site from now on, but I want to start saving up money again, and not wasting too much on games.

As much as I've loved my time on the forum, I think it's been bad for my spending habits. I was slowly building up Wii U games for about two years before joining the site, when I kind of went spending crazy.

I'm not going to make a big leaving post on the site as that's really lame and annoying to forum users, but I thought I'd post it in here just so some people know. In case people wonder where I've gone, there's a record of it somewhere.

Sage was a great place and I had lots of fun. Maybe I'll come back at some point, but for now I'm going to quietly sneak out. Thanks for the good times guys. 👋"

Screenshot below.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Social Team · Posted
5 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

FYI to anyone who is left wondering what happened to Lynda Monica, she left this message on the "general" room of the VGS Discord sometime this past Sunday (11/13/2022):

"I'm going to be taking another break from gaming, as well as the internet. I've really enjoyed going back to the Wii, Wii U and 3DS, but now I'm kind of finished playing everything I wanted to. I'm not sure how active I'll be on the site from now on, but I want to start saving up money again, and not wasting too much on games.

As much as I've loved my time on the forum, I think it's been bad for my spending habits. I was slowly building up Wii U games for about two years before joining the site, when I kind of went spending crazy.

I'm not going to make a big leaving post on the site as that's really lame and annoying to forum users, but I thought I'd post it in here just so some people know. In case people wonder where I've gone, there's a record of it somewhere.

Sage was a great place and I had lots of fun. Maybe I'll come back at some point, but for now I'm going to quietly sneak out. Thanks for the good times guys. 👋"

Screenshot below.

Hide contents

spacer.png

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Spoiler

shell-be-back-isabel-may.gif

She won't leave us for too long... 🥺

• Haha 1