IGNORED

Featured Member January 2023 - MrWunderful

Splain

Editorials Team · Posted

Links to all 2022 Featured Sages

This month: @MrWunderful!!

And 2023 is off to a... Wunderful start! Haha! Ha!

Where does your name come from? Kevin O'Leary?
No, not shark tank but I get asked that often. I like to think it was “ours” (my dads) before Kevin O’Leary had it. It was my fathers nickname at his work because all of his employees really liked him. I later took it up as my gamertag, and had to change the O to a U as someone already had the traditional spelling.

I take it from your avatar that you're a fan of Mega Man?
I am. I will probably end up with some sort of MM tattoo even at some point in my life. It was the first game I had to practice to finish, and being able to play 1,2,3 in order organically during that generation was a defining moment in my gaming career.
The story is I had a gif of Iceman doing his little intro motion from MM1 as my avatar for the entire time at NA. I was big into X-Men as a kid and love the member Iceman (I still have a decent Iceman collection of pops, cards, graded/ raw comics, figs, etc.) so x-men + megaman you get the idea. One time on NA Capnmorgandrinker said “how come its not Elecman because you are an Electrician?” And I figured the move to VGS was the proper time to switch it up.

What do you do for work?
I am a union commercial/ industrial electrician by trade, but currently run the larger projects from the BIM/Design side. I design the electrical infrastructure large commercial buildings require, especially ones with complicated architectural lighting requirements or things like data centers inside. I work in silicon valley for the big tech companies everyone hates 😛

Silicon Valley eh? What's the coolest project you've worked on?
Ive worked on and designed the electrical infrastructure for a ton of really cool R/D and manufacturing facilities/office space for popular tech products we all use, some of which I signed NDAs for so I cant mention Everything, but- 
- Ive done mostly Google/ Alphabet corporate offices for different teams (some won architectural awards!) including Nest products
-worked on an intel mask operation clean room (where they make the actual processors)
-Facebook corporate offices
-r and d facility for a popular VR headset
-“stuff” at lockheed martin and NASA

I don’t really have a favorite so I just listed some highlights.

Would you ever consider a career change?
Possibly but I am in a union so its not that easy. Honestly, I am happy where I am and we have a good culture at work so unless it was life changing I probably wouldn’t change. 

Do you have kids?
no kids except for 2 cats, but we would like ONE child (wife and I are both only children)

How did you come across NintendoAge? Do you miss it?
I ran into NA from their database doing research around 2010. I had gotten back into retro a few years before. Never got out of gaming, but stuck with current gen until xbox 360/ps3. Ran into some extra cash and starting buying nes/snes and it was all downhill from there.

Even though I really loved the community and enjoyed being a mod at NA I dont miss it at all. I was an outsider mod, never did any campouts or met any guys (except for a few at prge) and it was really clicky (not all the mods). I wasn’t there in the super early NES collecting days and it really felt obvious, especially as a mod. This community is set up way better and isnt a dictatorship where the dictator doesnt care so good riddance. Made some good buddies though, and most if not all are here now. The ones I care about at least.

Do you remember the first video game you ever played?
100%. It was mario 1 on NES. Dont remember the exact year, but probably 1988 ish. I was in awe of how you could control something on a screen with a controller. Such a crazy idea now, hahahahaha

What's the LAST video game you've played? (as of right now)
sports story on switch, literally put it down 30 mins ago. Its great but I think there is a tennis mission that is bugged (where you play the baby) if you know how to beat it, let me know!

Do you play Switch more docked or portable?
80% handheld, 20% docked. Sometimes I like the switch pro controller as after years of physical labor my hands cramp with smaller handhelds/controllers. The majority of the time though I play it handheld while my wife watches tv or works next to me.

Do you mostly collect or play games?
I went through a long period of only collecting retro, and playing current gen (from steam stuff, to destiny, to single player like GOW etc. ) but lately have been doing a lot of testing, cleaning and organizing and I will find myself lost in a game for an hour when I was just supposed to make sure it works. Its good and bad, because I am getting to play a huge variety of games but it ends up taking forever.

Luckily I am making notes on what stuff I want to go back and make an effort to learn and play once I get through all 2000ish games. 

Which is more enjoyable, collecting or playing?
Hard hitting questions. Making me think! Its hard because they full-fill different types of enjoyment for me. Scratching two different itches. I’m going with actually playing though, because its more inward focused I guess. “Collecting” more or less involves buying, looking  for, and interacting with people for games. You need to be wholly online. Playing, you need to focus on being good and yourself -like in a 2d platformer or something. 

What's your collection look like these days? How do you store/display it?
MrWunderful's game collcetion thread

For most systems I only collect “the best of”, or rare/valuable/quirky or sentimental:

NES-I have full set cart only minus SE. i also have a decent unlicensed/variant/pal exclusive set but its not complete. Sold of most homebrews but still have a few

SNES- basically reed’s top 200 with some childhood favs thrown it

N64-about 50 best of/valuable/quirky

Gameboy/GBA- the analogue pocket made me get into it  have about 75 of the “best of” from both.

SMS- just started back into it, had about 20 of the “best of” from finding in the wild over the years, going for about 50

Genesis- have been hitting genesis heavy lately, going for top 250 ish but hitting all the 100$+ games either way

game gear- at 224 of full set, about 10 to go. Have some sealed GG too, its my wifes fav  console

dreamcast/saturn- dabble a bit in working designs and heavy hitters like radiant silvergun but not too many. I dont focus too much on disk anymore, mostly carts. 

TG16- going for full set, plus all the best PCE exclusives like rondo, etc. i am at about 100 tg-16 cd/hu card and about 30 japanese exclusives. I also have my huge collection of keith courage hu cards, I think its at 120?

NeoGeo- I have a modest mvs collection with some fan favorites, luckily I got turfmasters and windjammers before the hype.

My collection is mostly focused on hardware and software, I dont dabble much in swag. I have some great boxed consoles and accessories. 

I do have a game room that doubles as my wifes office, but luckily she lets me do what i want with the space. 

Do you plan to complete any of those NES subsets? Do you ever want SE?
yes- I would pay up to 7k for a mint SE, as of me writing this (subject to change). Im not holding my breath however, and am 100% ok with never having it. I don’t need it to be content with my collection and still consider my NES licensed set “complete” (yes I know SE is an actual part of the true set- don’t care).  I do have a running list of the unlicensed/PAL exclusive games I still need and keep on the lookout for them, but currently focus on genesis/GG/Tg-16.

Why Keith Courage?
KC for no reason, other than as I started to get into TG-16 years ago you could get copies for under 5$ shipped on the bay or even at games stores for a buck or two sometimes. After like 30 of them it became a thing. Over about the last 10 years I started buying every one I could at 5$ shipped, then at 7$ shipped, then 10$, now I don't really see them for below 15$ but will generally impulse buy if I can get them for closer to 10. They don't take up much space and tend to get a lot of attention from game nerds. I also like to think I artificially manipulated the market singlehandedly, whether true or not.

If you could keep only one console, which would it be?
Thats hard Without more context, lol.  Do I get access to every single game? What about unlicensed?  Can I pick a pc so I can emulate everything? Thats cheating I guess. What about an analogue console with multiple cores? Lol

seriously, I have the most childhood nostalgia for NES so that is my initial gut feeling. But I played SNES for a majority of my gaming life during that generation, and have found a renewed visceral attraction to it influenced by my disposable income, Reed’s list and the cleaning and testing of every game in my collection. However, I have been super into Genesis lately and have actually played that the most “recently”.  So that still doesn’t answer your question. Gonna have to go out of comfort zone and say SNES.

Any 2023 releases you're excited about?
not really, but I dont follow new releases. If something reaches me organically and it interests me, i will just impulse buy.  I wish Ragnarok wasnt a console exclusive, as for current gen I switched to PC and havent looked back (I love my steam deck)!

Give us a quick review of the Steam Deck.
I have the top shelf one.  Amazing hardware and great UI. Comfortable, convenient and fast. Gets hotter than you would expect, and AAA titles rip through battery life. Games requiring mouse cursor (not optimized for controller/steam deck use) feels clumsy, even though both mouse “touchpads” work well and have solid tactile feedback. Highly recommended if you play even a few indies on steam, AAA in short bursts.

What's your greatest pet peeve when playing a game?
hmmmm thats a tough one. For retro stuff, un-skippable intro screens. Modern would be clumsy UI design and not being able to save whenever. 

What's your greatest gaming accomplishment?
I don’t really have any noticeable. I don’t often complete games 100%.   Maybe multiple successful raids in Destiny? That required a lot of coordination and teamwork. Beating Earthbound without the guide was an early one. 

What obscure game should everyone play?
obscurity has kind of lost its meaning in the age of “hidden gems” IMO, but I would say Secret of Evermore on SNES. To my knowledge I was the only Kid that had it, and it was (is?) pretty unique, specifically for the time. A time travel RPG with a pet that was AI or you could control, and a clever alchemy system? And By squaresoft?

Do you like to play anything online with strangers?
Not currently, but I have spent huge amounts of time doing so in past. I was big into halo 2, even more into 3, played a lot Of COD through multiple generations, played destiny for years, dabbled in overwatch and gears of war. Even messed with Starcraft for a bit. In my older age I find I enjoy a more relaxed experience at my own pace.

Do you have a favorite video game genre or franchise?
It would be MegaMan, but I have never been the guy to just buy every little megaman thing I see. I am not too into collecting swag type stuff, just focus on the games and hardware. I do have a couple small art pieces though. Each robot master being a different element or theme was always such a cool idea to me.

What else do you collect?
Nothing on the same scope, but I have a pretty extensive iceman sketch card/insert/card collection. I still have my childhood comic card and comic collection as well and will dabble in that from time to time but not much.

Favorite movie/book/album/painting/cereal/soft drink?
I don’t have complicated and fancy taste so don’t laugh:

Movie- Grandmas boy

book- Jurassic park 

Album-Master of puppets

Painting- Yikes, not an art guy. My maternal grandfather was a somewhat famous advertising  artist in the 40s and there is AMAZING charcoal piece of a train above my parents mantle, so I guess that one. 

Cereal- froot loops, even though I haven't had any in years

Soft drink- Dirty M’F’in Mountain Dew. Would kill for a rockstar punch but don’t drink them anymore because they are probably liquid cancer.

Do you like the newer Jurassic World stuff?
I do. I don’t have high movie standards, so dinosaurs and explosions will entertain me. I Kinda like Chris Pratt because of marvel, and still get nostalgia aftershocks even on the newer movies because of how awesome the original one was when it came out in the 90s.

Are you a Dew connoisseur when it comes to flavors, or are you a purist?
Im an equal opportunity Dirty Dew Drinker. Love Code red, the purple (high voltage?) major mellon, and the new “fruit cake” flavor was bomb even though it looked like toilet water. Honestly though even though I love it, I dont even finish 1/2” a bottle or full can anymore. Just want to savor a few sips because of how terrible it is for your body. Maybe I will be super classy and start swirling it around in a brandy snifter lol

Do you ever actually read the Terms and Conditions?
Never have I once.  But I am also ok with whatever the consequences are for not reading them.

Is a hot dog a sandwich?
gonna say no, because the bread is connected. That puts it more in the pocket category like pita, but that may be an unpopular opinion. Plus I would never trust anyone who puts ketchup on a sandwich.

Using only a single emoji, what is your opinion of Donald Trump?
🤐

• Like 10

• The topic was pinned
Moderator · Posted
47 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Excellent! $7k for a SE?! Better up that significantly hahahaha

follow up question from the crowd:

Why are the 49ers going to win the Super Bowl this year and what AFC team will stand in their way?

Because they’re Purdy good. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Excellent! $7k for a SE?! Better up that significantly hahahaha

follow up question from the crowd:

Why are the 49ers going to win the Super Bowl this year and what AFC team will stand in their way?

Thats my limit and why I know I will never have one lol. Maybe ill be ok with the pal version if it pops up. But as far as I’m concerned my licensed set is complete.

And it doesnt matter which team.  Next stop is the cowgirls!!! 

Editorials Team · Posted

Whenever I see a new Dew flavor that I haven't tried, I try it. I'm not usually blown away, but there was one called Baja Punch a couple years back, that I wish they'd make more of. I did try the Fruit Quake flavor, the guy at the grocery store checkout said something like "I'm not brave enough to try this." I opened it and tasted it there in the store (it was warm) and told him he could skip it, it tasted bad. When I got home I put the rest on ice, and it tasted like Code Red with a holiday twist. So it's really good as long as it's cold. Now I just need to lose all that Dew weight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The regular Mountain Dew tastes different region by region. The Philippines version is mediocre at best, Vietnamese and Taiwanese Mountain Dew are better, but the American recipe reigns supreme. 

The Danish and German Mountain Dews weren't very good either, definitely down below the Philippines one.

2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

The regular Mountain Dew tastes different region by region. The Philippines version is mediocre at best, Vietnamese and Taiwanese Mountain Dew are better, but the American recipe reigns supreme. 

The Danish and German Mountain Dews weren't very good either, definitely down below the Philippines one.

The American "throwback" one with the real sugar is the best.

10 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

God no. Mustard only but I haven't had bologna in 25 years. Maybe an Ohio thing 😝

Mustard works on fried bologna.  You realize bologna is just a flat hot dog?

9 hours ago, Gloves said:

Mayo + balogna, featuring mustard. 

Eeeeeew.   Just no.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
10 hours ago, Gloves said:

Mayo + balogna, featuring mustard. 

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Eeeeeew.   Just no.

miracle whip or mayo, and this is coming from someone who grew up having to eat hot dogs, bologna and hamburger tossed in to Mac n cheese haha

5 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Eeeeeew.   Just no.

Not a big ketchup guy period. If i do have some with some fries, I need real ketchup- not heinz with 50% corn syrup. 

• Confused 1